The New Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
On average, according to industry experts, paperback book prices rise by approximately 25 percent in an eight-year period. From 2006 to 2007 alone, paperback prices rose an average 14 percent. Yet the Association of American Publishers (AAP), of which PublishAmerica is a life-long member, reports that during that same year book sales increased to a higher level than ever before, at a healthy growth clip of 4 percent.

Yeah, the price's rose for those companies that actually sell books. And as for the AAP. I've looked through some of their member's listings. Vantage Press, Author House...ect. They're all in there. The only requirement is that you actually publish books.

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
"By the way, I sent PA an email on September 9th demanding that they stop sending me email solicitations, and it appears it may actually have worked. The last such solicitation I received was dated September 8th."

I just got another one today, in fact. Guess what it was about. Right. Another 50% off book sale for author's who "might want to keep some of their books on hand."
But hurry, it ends this Friday.---Until they decide to extend it another week.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
That actually hurt my eyes to read. Thanks PA! Now I will have blurred vision all day.

The 'psycho'-therapy angle and the cult mentality this is PublishAmerica is so brilliantly encapsulated in that letter that . . . that . . . ah heck, I am speechless (a happening about as rare as a solar eclipse).

A few observations before I go wash out my eyes:

1. A reiteration of the PA mantra that 'We gave you your chance and we know what is best for you. Without us, you would not be a Published Author. PA is mother. PA is father.'

2. Weird and transparent attempts to lend credibility to PA by hinting at longetivity, to-wit: 'life-long member' and 'since PublishAmerica got established at the end of the last century.' That sentence alone should make any would-be author run for the proverbial hills.

3. Blaming the economy . . . and then scolding the skeptics by reminding them that there has been two other 'hard time' events and that PA had not raised prices then.

4. An invitation to drink the kool-aid. It is good for you . . .

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
....And as for the AAP. I've looked through some of their member's listings. Vantage Press, Author House...ect. They're all in there. The only requirement is that you actually publish books.

Like Sister Catherine used to warn us in Media Studies and Relations - "Consider the source!"

(Went to a college that was, at one time, strictly Catholic and they still had a fair number of nuns teaching various classes. And Sister Catherine rocked.)

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
Like Sister Catherine used to warn us in Media Studies and Relations - "Consider the source!"

(Went to a college that was, at one time, strictly Catholic and they still had a fair number of nuns teaching various classes. And Sister Catherine rocked.)

Catholic schoolgirl. So what did you wear, one of those tiny little...Sorry, totally inappropriate......SO WHAT DID YOU WEAR?

Curiouser

Registered
Reaction score
:) In the PA letter to authors posted earlier they are quoted as writing,

'We also work with each new author to arrange promotional events at their local book stores, such as book signings. All this comes at no expense to our authors.'

Is this something new? Do they actually do this now? They didn't do this when I was with them.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
It has to be kept in mind that for PA any occurrences greater than zero are sufficient upon which to base a claim. Therefore, if PA has done it at least once, then they can claim they do it. Just remember their claim doesn't obligate them to do it for you or anyone else because they've already done it enough to make the claim. That's why their contract states you have to agree that nothing on their site obligates them to anything not mentioned in your contract. I'm surprised that Janus doesn't appear on their logo.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Is this something new? Do they actually do this now? They didn't do this when I was with them.

“Works with” could mean anything. Let’s say I suggest to you that you do a book signing. Voila, I’ve worked with you!

Likewise, PA could “work with” the author by printing up the books. Without that support and service, would the book signing be possible?

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
Works with? How about "works you over?" But, again, I am a Published Author!" :)

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
“Works with” could mean anything. Let’s say I suggest to you that you do a book signing. Voila, I’ve worked with you!

Likewise, PA could “work with” the author by printing up the books. Without that support and service, would the book signing be possible?

Exactly. PA's interpretation of "works with" is not going to come close to what we mere writers consider that phrase to mean. Take a wee gander at their FAQs page and you'll see all kinds of information that could be interpreted in a number of different ways.

I just looked at that page and it appears they have done some changes to it, including this delightful sentence. (Vomit alert)

There are book signings with PublishAmerica authors virtually every day in bookstores all over the fruited plain.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember fruited plain being used by PA in the past. From sea to bloody shining sea, but fruited plain?

I'm surprised they don't have America the Beautiful playing on their homepage with hosts of angels floating about the borders.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread today, but it seems to apply here too. Once the contract is signed, any promises you've read on their website are null and void. That is just plain wrong!!!!:rant:

"23. The Author acknowledges that the Publisher has not made any prior pledges, promises, guarantees, inducements, of whatever nature, either in writing, by word of mouth, or in any form, that are not contained in the terms of this agreement."

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I mentioned this in another thread today, but it seems to apply here too. Once the contract is signed, any promises you've read on their website are null and void. That is just plain wrong!!!!:rant:

"23. The Author acknowledges that the Publisher has not made any prior pledges, promises, guarantees, inducements, of whatever nature, either in writing, by word of mouth, or in any form, that are not contained in the terms of this agreement."

No it's not. All written contracts contain a clause that says in essence the document contains the entire agreement between parties.

If a writer thinks something but doesn't see that "something" in the contract, don't sign it. Request that the "something" be included in the contract. If the other party refuses, then the writer knows they either misunderstood or the other party was giving them a sales pitch.

PA's homepage and website is full of misleading and false information. If this induced a writer to sign a contract with PA, then they should have made sure those items were in their contract.

Thus the reason it is extremely important that writers seek the advice of legal counsel before entering into a publishing contract.

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
It has to be kept in mind that for PA any occurrences greater than zero are sufficient upon which to base a claim. Therefore, if PA has done it at least once, then they can claim they do it. Just remember their claim doesn't obligate them to do it for you or anyone else because they've already done it enough to make the claim. That's why their contract states you have to agree that nothing on their site obligates them to anything not mentioned in your contract. I'm surprised that Janus doesn't appear on their logo.

Where does it say that? I've never seen anything about that.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't remember fruited plain being used by PA in the past. From sea to bloody shining sea, but fruited plain?

There are no bookstores on fruited plains, but there are from sea to sea. Ever wise, is the PA verbosity. Never truthful, of course, but you can't have everything. Ya got a dollar, for crap's sake. :tongue

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
No it's not. All written contracts contain a clause that says in essence the document contains the entire agreement between parties.

If a writer thinks something but doesn't see that "something" in the contract, don't sign it. Request that the "something" be included in the contract. If the other party refuses, then the writer knows they either misunderstood or the other party was giving them a sales pitch.

PA's homepage and website is full of misleading and false information. If this induced a writer to sign a contract with PA, then they should have made sure those items were in their contract.

Thus the reason it is extremely important that writers seek the advice of legal counsel before entering into a publishing contract.

What if someone signed the contract without ever having seen the PA website?

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
The "wrongness" I perceive is that they are essentially using the bait and switch. It would be deceptive with a car purchase or any other contract. Unfortunately, many of PA's victims seem not to have read the fine print before signing (or Googled)...

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
What if someone signed the contract without ever having seen the PA website?
Not sure if there's another way, but, um... don't you have to go through their website to submit your manuscript? And you wouldn't have a contract if they hadn't, er, read (as if they actually do read) your manuscript. So I can't see any author signing a contract without seeing the website.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . So I can't see any author signing a contract without seeing the website.
I know at least one PA author who had no Internet access (no email, no nothing) when the book was submitted and contract signed. Someone else handled the uploading.

That was probably about two years ago. That author remains delighted.

--Ken

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com

"Works with" could also mean sending emails to BUY!!! BUY!!! BUY!!! your own book.

Status
Not open for further replies.