Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 2

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
In my book Hatchings I had the main character listening in to a telephone conversation. Since the story is told in third person, but almost entirely from his viewpoint and he only heard one side of the conversation it's a weird scene, but one we've probably all experienced more than once in a store or mall.

It was an interesting challenge writing it though, I must say.

Elizablue

A Writer I Would Be....
Registered
Reaction score
Outlines

I am not a "trained" writer. Fortunately or unfortunately it just sort of happens. Often at thousands of words at a time before the plane lands and I have to gather up all my lined notepads, along with the napkins I ventured onto when the pads ran out.

So...my question is what does one do when you're a third of the way into a story and suddenly realize you have no idea where it's going. An outline at the beginning would have been smart, but I never claimed to be such.

I have a novel WIP with almost 1500 known readers. I have previously posted segments as I went along on a third party web site. I sort of know where it could go but cannot seem to find the magic that caused me to write it in the first place.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Or, "In the other room, a naked lady screamed."

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
During breaks from the Amazon Jihad and other things, I'm still interested in giving us time to read a specified book, then analyzing the ending.

How about one of Robert B. Parker's Spencer PI novels? Not my genre, but I picked two and read them after Mac posted the notice of Parker's passing. The novels move along and most seem to be short. Lots of old copies available in used book stores.

Or a book you've read Jim, to save you time?

Elizablue

A Writer I Would Be....
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a "trained" writer. Fortunately or unfortunately it just sort of happens. Often at thousands of words at a time before the plane lands and I have to gather up all my lined notepads, along with the napkins I ventured onto when the pads ran out.

So...my question is what does one do when you're a third of the way into a story and suddenly realize you have no idea where it's going. An outline at the beginning would have been smart, but I never claimed to be such.

I have a novel WIP with almost 1500 known readers. I have previously posted segments as I went along on a third party web site. I sort of know where it could go but cannot seem to find the magic that caused me to write it in the first place.

Um....bump please...

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Elizablue: I think you probably need help. Like a second person to collaborate with you to extract the great novel that's buried in there.

Just a thought.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
Um....bump please...

Elizablue, the man entering with a gun and the naked woman in the next room screaming are the answers for you. They're metaphorical answers, but they're answers nonetheless. Essentially, throw an extra conflict into the story and let it work itself out.

Also, if you're losing the magic, then you're on the right track. Every writer hits a difficult part in the middle (although it's worse for some than others) when the story seems to be losing its way.

To help combat this (aside from the man with the gun), jot a few notes about your characters: What do they want at this point in the story? What's preventing them from getting it? What resources are available to them? What are they not willing to do in pursuit of their goal?

Answering these questions should give you an idea what the protagonists (and antagonists, and supporting characters) want to do in the future.

Good luck.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Elizablue,

I asked a very similar question on this thread in post 756.

Uncle Jim kindly responded in post 762. It's been working so far! *keeps fingers crossed*

Other writers on this thread also chimed in with great ideas between those two posts. You might want to go over and see.

Hope this helps! :)

Perle

RHQ

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redheadedquilter.com
Thanks for this great advice. I think it will help me with my current fiction WIP. I'm approaching the middle and I can write what comes before and jump ahead to what comes after, but it's all that stuff in between that is holding me up.

Thanks!
Kelly

To help combat this (aside from the man with the gun), jot a few notes about your characters: What do they want at this point in the story? What's preventing them from getting it? What resources are available to them? What are they not willing to do in pursuit of their goal?

Answering these questions should give you an idea what the protagonists (and antagonists, and supporting characters) want to do in the future.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
How about one of Robert B. Parker's Spencer PI novels? Not my genre, but I picked two and read them after Mac posted the notice of Parker's passing.

An excellent suggestion.

I'll be passing a B&N this coming Saturday; I think I'll pick up something by Parker. Then we can get started.

(And I still plan to write that massive post on why art is about limits.)

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
What's the idea? Jim picks a book by Parker and we all find it, read it and analyse it?

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
What's the idea? Jim picks a book by Parker and we all find it, read it and analyse it?

Yes! With a focus on analyzing the ending, if I'm correct, Jim?

Remember in Uncle Jim thread 1? Jim mentioned how studying chess openings teaches one openings, but studying the end game teaches one chess. So it follows.