Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno what's wrong with me this week, guys. Maybe it's the query nonsense, or school, but I'm feeling kind of full-of-fail....

*sigh* I suppose it happens.

I have not had a great week either Chels. I don't know, the words or the need to write just isn't there. Plus I've been going to bed to late and having bad dreams. Have to change that, lol. I couldn't say it was the weather, because up until today it was sunny and warm. ;)

Hope you get you writin-magick back, or whatever you want to call it. :D

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning!

::sending happy vibes to Chelsey::

I think we all feel the "fail" sometimes, hopefully you can find a way out of the funk. This is going to sound weird, but I tried a yoga class for the first time yesterday and the whole clearing your mind part was quite refreshing. If you don't have time to take a yoga class, maybe just spend a few minutes thinking of nothing at all (if you can and don't stress if you can't, just let the thought pass). When I got home last night, I didn't feel like writing at all. But this morning, I'm feeling very refreshed, maybe there's something to this meditation mumbo jumbo after all :).

As to the question on the previous page and breaking the rules--I think if you are going to break a rule, you need to be consistent. And maybe bend them more than break them. For instance, Stephenie Meyer explained the perception of why they can't go out in the sun, but changed the consequences. Then wrote of the certain death/burning to a crisp part as "myth". I mean, urban legends are full of misconceptions, so it kind of works. And other books have used the premise of vampires drinking animal blood (Vampire Diaries) or even synthetic blood (Sookie Stackhouse series).

I don't know, it's part of the story world. I can appreciate each set of stories for what they are.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
...As to the question on the previous page and breaking the rules--I think if you are going to break a rule, you need to be consistent. And maybe bend them more than break them. For instance, Stephenie Meyer explained the perception of why they can't go out in the sun, but changed the consequences. Then wrote of the certain death/burning to a crisp part as "myth". I mean, urban legends are full of misconceptions, so it kind of works. And other books have used the premise of vampires drinking animal blood (Vampire Diaries) or even synthetic blood (Sookie Stackhouse series).

I don't know, it's part of the story world. I can appreciate each set of stories for what they are.

I agree with you on that. Just not sure the 'hardcore' vamp lovers will. Although, if we are going all the way back to the source, shouldn't we be going back to "Vlad-The-Impaler"? He is the source of the Dracula legends. I watched a whole thing on the history channel this last October... part of their Halloween marathon. Him an Mary-something-or-other who was a royal and drank and bathed in the blood of all the young women in the town that she ruled. Chills(it was nasty, watching that part of the documentary). People were psycho even back then in the dark ages. Hmm, maybe that's why they are called that. Chuckle.

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting on Vlad-the-Impaler (btw, there is a person here who has the SN of plaid_the_inhaler...hilarious!).

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is. He was an evil monarch or Count, in Eastern Europe and he would impale or stake people to death. That was his calling card. Eeewww! I think it was during the cruisades, not sure though. Been a while since I watched it. lol.

That's pretty funny, 'plaid_the_inhaler'... Chuckle. Where do people come up with this stuff?

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is. He was an evil monarch or Count, in Eastern Europe and he would impale or stake people to death. That was his calling card. Eeewww! I think it was during the cruisades, not sure though. Been a while since I watched it. lol.

yeah, he was a duke, basically. Dracul means dragon, comes from when he joined the Order of the Dragon... The Historian is a really interesting blend of fact and fiction that centers around him, speaking of good traditional-y vampire novels :)

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
Vlad the impaler was part of the Iquisition.....that was indeed his calling card....he liked to impale ppl....they had interesting methods of torture during those times.....*SIGH* The sickness of people know no bounds.......

Anyway I'm 22,558 into the #60n60 deal.....parked myself outside for a while to enjoy the sun....but am in the shade because the sun causes an EVIL glare on the screen.....

Be checking back later on.....

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, for the added info. I couldn't remember everything. Lol.

Hey, anyone YAWNing tonight? Just asking since it was mentioned on Monday. Lol.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you on that. Just not sure the 'hardcore' vamp lovers will. Although, if we are going all the way back to the source, shouldn't we be going back to "Vlad-The-Impaler"? He is the source of the Dracula legends. I watched a whole thing on the history channel this last October... part of their Halloween marathon. Him an Mary-something-or-other who was a royal and drank and bathed in the blood of all the young women in the town that she ruled. Chills(it was nasty, watching that part of the documentary). People were psycho even back then in the dark ages. Hmm, maybe that's why they are called that. Chuckle.
I know this is kind of late, but I felt the need to point out a couple of things:
Vlad Tepes (son of Vlad Dracul, and often referred to as Dracula) was at least partial inspiration for Count Dracula, and he is often associated with the vampire legend. But it didn't start with him.

Also, it wasn't Mary. You were probably thinking Bloody Mary (which is the name the protestants gave to Mary I (I believe) of England, who was Queen Elizabeth's half sister). There's no real legend surrounding Mary. The one you were talking about is actually Elizabeth Báthory, a Hungarian countess who (according to legend) drank the blood of virgins to keep/restore her youthful beauty.

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is kind of late, but I felt the need to point out a couple of things:
Vlad Tepes ... was at least partial inspiration for Count Dracula, and he is often associated with the vampire legend. But it didn't start with him.

Also, it wasn't Mary...The one you were talking about is actually Elizabeth Báthory, a Hungarian countess who (according to legend) drank the blood of virgins to keep/restore her youthful beauty.

Yeah, what she said, lol. Sorry, but at least you knew where I was going. Chuckle.

Okay, so no one is YAWNing then, good to know.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I may, but I'm not sure. And Pixy was planning on it, but I haven't heard from her today.

Yeah, that's why I asked. Pixie kept saying on Monday to hold on until Weds. and then we'd post again. Chuckle. But I have only seen her post here on this thread once today as well.

Oh well, just trying to keep up with everyone. Laugh. Never happens, but one can try.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
:poke: back, lol. Lurking around. Had to have dinner. It's 6:50pm here.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
:poke: back, lol. Lurking around. Had to have dinner. It's 6:50pm here.

That's a really pretty avi....(sorry...I think that it's better than the last one you had up....not trying to be mean.....)

I'm up to 23,728 words on my sooper sekrit project.....which means that I'm almost half done with it. I've put my MC & her love interest into a rather interesting sitch that I can't exactly figure out how to write them out of yet....so I'm taking a NCIS break.....although I think that now that I'm watching it it's an episode that I've already seen so I might be changing it again. Although the Bones episode that's on is also one that I've seen again....so now I'm flipping back and forth. *SIGH*

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
That's a really pretty avi....(sorry...I think that it's better than the last one you had up....not trying to be mean.....)

I'm up to 23,728 words on my sooper sekrit project.....which means that I'm almost half done with it. I've put my MC & her love interest into a rather interesting sitch that I can't exactly figure out how to write them out of yet....so I'm taking a NCIS break.... *SIGH*

Why thank you, about the avi, it is an 2080x800 resolution desktop I have. Lol, a lot bigger than it is here. I love it, and I thought it would be perfect. The Selk just wasn't quite right, and then I just had to change it.

I do that with my desktops a lot. My mother on her visits, always shakes her head when she sees that I have a scantily-clad-beastly, or strong looking women on my desktop. Chuckle. I collect them, for no other reason than some inspire me to write strong and leading female characters. The kind of woman I would like to be someday. One who could slay a dragon, battle ogres, orks, give Prince Charming a run for his money(or scare the poopy out of him with one look). Big huge laugh. So, yeah. Glad you like it.

Glad the secret project is going sooo well. Pixie was supposed to be here and we were going to be YAWNing, but I think something must have come up for her and the others. Oh well.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Why thank you, about the avi, it is an 2080x800 resolution desktop I have. Lol, a lot bigger than it is here. I love it, and I thought it would be perfect. The Selk just wasn't quite right, and then I just had to change it.

I do that with my desktops a lot. My mother on her visits, always shakes her head when she sees that I have a scantily-clad-beastly, or strong looking women on my desktop. Chuckle. I collect them, for no other reason than some inspire me to write strong and leading female characters. The kind of woman I would like to be someday. One who could slay a dragon, battle ogres, orks, give Prince Charming a run for his money(or scare the poopy out of him with one look). Big huge laugh. So, yeah. Glad you like it.

Glad the secret project is going sooo well. Pixie was supposed to be here and we were going to be YAWNing, but I think something must have come up for her and the others. Oh well.

I wish that I could YAWN, but the rules specifically state that I can't share what I'm writing until the unveiling. Although....I might need to find something that's not copyrighted so that I can have it for cover art. That's the only thing that I can get any help with. So if anyone has any idea of something that can help me please feel free to let me know!

Ok....back to getting close to my 30k goal for today...I'm 5,749 away....so I'll be checking back in a little later on.....

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
YAWNing isn't everything. I am still a little afraid of it. Still struggling to get my writer-magick going. I'm limping along a few pages at a time, and then I am terrified that no one will like it. That I am a failure. That I am too wordy. That is does not flow like it should... 'And on an on rode Pony Bob' as my Aunt used to say. lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.