The Bouncy Castle in Space

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Timp, (burp) excuse me. They were delicious! The chocolate was yummy, but the fresh peach put me in a mellow mood, and now I'm back to writing! All thanks to MsJudy and Smish for their contributions!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray:Okay - now I'm through playing around. I have a teeny, :Jump: hopeful, :Jump: exciting reason to bounce a bit.

Some may remember that I had an agent express interest in one of my PB texts. She liked it, but wanted it to be more of a page turner.

I just couldn't figure out any way that I could change it and still keep the story I wanted, so I had just about given up.

But I finally messed with it a little, and some ideas insinuated themselves into my thick head, and I saw some potential for adding a bit.

Finally sent it back to her, and she says she loves it. She used the word love, I swear. Oops, my bad. She loves the character and something else, she just likes it a lot, otherwise. (I need to make sure I don't misquote anyone.)

BUT - she of course wants to know what else I have available or what I'm working on. Now I'm worried she won't like any of my other work, because there's not a lot and some of it needs major work - I can admit that.

So I'm chewing off my fingernails and checking my inbox every ten minutes, or so it seems, and I can't relax.

That's why those milkshakes were so needed, Smish. You saved me life! But keep them coming, okay?

Okay, that's all for now. I'll keep you posted, with tears or cheers, I don't know which.

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sending good luck vibes your way Sissy! Which PB is it? Did you post it on AW?

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck sissybaby!! That's very exciting!

And I hope everyone's vacations are wonderful and de-stressing. I'm anxiously awaiting my own, but it's not until the last week of August.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Pours more milkshakes for sissy* Good luck! Fingers and toes are all crossed for you. :D

*Pours timp a milkshake, too, because I just can't resist his cute-widdle face*

Congrats to Judy (ahem, sorry, MsJudy) for finding the solution to your chapter-20 problem! Very proud of you. ;) And I know what you mean about those deferred paychecks. I feel that way every time I get a travel voucher check. It feels like extra money, even though it's really only reimbursing me for all the damage to my car, and the gas I've put in it! :rolleyes:

Good luck with the college-visits, Ruth! :TheWave: My college and grad schools were both only a few hours from home. I didn't visit home as often as my mother would have liked, but it sure was nice to know I could go home, if I wanted/needed to.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Judy,

I love that your kids call you Miss (or Ms.) Judy. We try to have our kids always call adults with a title, whether it's Miss Jennie or Miss Smith or Mrs. Smith. Whatever is appropriate. Too many of the teachers and coaches at my kids' school allow a first name familiarity with out a title and so do a lot of the parents. I guess it's just common practice around here, but I like giving adults a little bit of respect.

And Kitty, we are headed to lovely Charlevoix MI for a week in a tiny rented cabin, though the pictures on line look beautiful. The price was very reasonable and a friend checked it out and said it is just lovely. We can't wait to relax for a week. We are going to climb the Sleeping Bear Dunes and spend a day on Mackinac Island, but mostly I'm going to sit on the deck with either my computer or a book to read and watch my hubby and kids play in the lake. I might even get my toes wet now and then, but I am so looking forward to writing while we are there. I suppose most people go on vacation to get away from "work", but to me vacation is about getting more writing finished!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
oooh, sissy! Best of luck with the agent! That's such great news that she loves what you did with the book.

I've got goosebumps for you. (Maybe it's from swishing my toes in the leftover milkshakes...)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jtrylch13, that sounds heavenly. That is one of the prettiest places in the world, imho.

I thought I'd come in for a pick-me-up bounce. I just received an email saying: Although your piece is well-written, we recently have filled the issue in which your piece would best fit.

Oh well. Maybe my other submission will be a better fit.

:Jump::(:Jump::Jump::(:Jump::Jump::Jump::cry: :Jump::Jump::Jump: :Jump:

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, sissy. The agent clearly likes your writing, so I bet she'll like your other work, too.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Kitty, we are headed to lovely Charlevoix MI for a week in a tiny rented cabin, though the pictures on line look beautiful. The price was very reasonable and a friend checked it out and said it is just lovely. We can't wait to relax for a week. We are going to climb the Sleeping Bear Dunes and spend a day on Mackinac Island, but mostly I'm going to sit on the deck with either my computer or a book to read and watch my hubby and kids play in the lake. I might even get my toes wet now and then, but I am so looking forward to writing while we are there. I suppose most people go on vacation to get away from "work", but to me vacation is about getting more writing finished!

Oo-ooh! That sounds very nice! Watch out for those sleeping bears tho ;) I went to Mackinac Island one time when I was really little--I recall something about fudge...

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I went to an author talk by Maggie Stiefvater last night! She was at the St Louis County Library (the library where my husband and I met, many years ago, when he worked in Tech Services and I in Overdues--but I digress.) She is a great presenter--super funny! I bought a copy of her latest, Forever, but I haven't read the second one, Linger, yet, so it will have to wait.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Oo-ooh! That sounds very nice! Watch out for those sleeping bears tho ;) I went to Mackinac Island one time when I was really little--I recall something about fudge...

yeah, fudge and horse poop. Just don't get the two mixed up. After a few days on the island, the smells mix together so much that your fudge isn't very appetizing once you get it home. The fudge smells fine, of course, but the association brings back phantom odors.

Good luck to you Sissybaby! Hope all goes well.

Did anyone try to get on Pottermore today? I forgot about time zones and tried too late. Better luck tomorrow, though I'm a bit confused by the process.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went to an author talk by Maggie Stiefvater last night! She was at the St Louis County Library (the library where my husband and I met, many years ago, when he worked in Tech Services and I in Overdues--but I digress.) She is a great presenter--super funny! I bought a copy of her latest, Forever, but I haven't read the second one, Linger, yet, so it will have to wait.

Glad you had a fun night, Ruth! I read Shiver, and loved the beginning, and thought she was great with setting and character. But the plot fell flat for me, in the end. So, I didn't read Linger or Forever. Still, it'd be fun to hear her speak!

And I love that you and your husband met at a library. :D

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I had to stop in for a bounce today. The final results came out for a nine round short story comp I entered, and I finished in third place! Five of the nine stories I wrote were intended to be MG, and I'd never written shorts for kids before, so I'm happy with the results. :D

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I had to stop in for a bounce today. The final results came out for a nine round short story comp I entered, and I finished in third place! Five of the nine stories I wrote were intended to be MG, and I'd never written shorts for kids before, so I'm happy with the results. :D

Congrats! I've never written shorts for kids before, either. I've always written short stories for adults and novels for kids. :Shrug:

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
That's great news sissy. maybe she just wants to see that your other MS have promise too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Spiral, congratulations on the MG short! MG shorts are my guilty pleasure (the guilt is because I should be editing a full length manuscript).

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
That's why those monthly prompts can be so helpful! You can write a short every month for MG if so inclined. (hint, hint).

Oh, and I forgot, congratulations, Spiral! That's pretty awesome news. Keep us updated.

and a huge THANK YOU to everyone for the good wishes and crossed toes, etc. It's been almost a week, and I'm dying here.

Last edited:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

CONGRATS!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Ahem* Listen up, gang!

August marks a whole YEAR of prompts! :TheWave:

So, to celebrate, we're going to have a contest, complete with awesome prizes*!

Watch for the official announcement tomorrow evening. :D

* Awesome prizes already include an autographed copy of Timothy Power's (timp67's) novel, The Boy Who Howled and Amazon gift cards. Specifics will be announced once I've figured it all out. ;)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, WOW! Smish. That sounds amazing. And I don't want the Amazon cards, thank you very much. I'm much more interested in Timothy's book, even though I've already read it.

Ooooh, I can't wait! Hope it's an easy contest, 'cause sometimes I don't do so well with pressure, you know?