Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I went to an arachnid convention in Texas in 2007. Or, more correctly, one of my bug geek friends drove three hundred miles out of his way to come get me, and drag my hermit ass to a convention in Texas.

On one of the field trips, I found this mature male Aphonopelma hentzi. Poor old guy was on his last legs, but he found enough energy to rear up and give me a half hearted threat pose.
mmhentzisi7.jpg

My friend tickled this juvenile A. hentzi out of its burrow with a piece of grass. Cute little thing; and hungry. We popped a grasshopper down the hole in appreciation for the spider letting us get a few camera shots.
juvhentzigt0.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. So the herons we've been seeing for years are Egrets...
They're really the same birds but are known by two different common names.

Great white herons, however, are a white version of great blue herons that are found mostly in Southern Florida. There is a wildlife refuge in the Keys named after them.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
They are all related, but the Great Egret has black legs, the Great White Heron has yellow legs, which distinguishes them. The birds in Bettie's photos have black legs, they're the Great Egret. The GWH is found only in Florida.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
They are all related, but the Great Egret has black legs, the Great White Heron has yellow legs, which distinguishes them. The birds in Bettie's photos have black legs, they're the Great Egret. The GWH is found only in Florida.
That's what I was trying to say in my earlier post but wasn't very clear: If bettielee refers to great egrets as white herons, then they are usually understood to be the same birds. But she can't, or shouldn't, identify them as great white herons.

Hope that makes more sense, now. :)

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Let me say that the pictures are wonderful. Unfortunately, most of the wildlife that I have seen, no camera was available. Seeing some porpoises swimming between two ships as a fuel transfer was going on was priceless. Coming up on a pod of killer whales slapping their tails on the water in the Juan de Fuca straits was stunning. Sea eagles around the northern tip of Vancouver Island the same. All I can add is this.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
This is must see for our spider lovers!
I'm impressed. That is perhaps the most educational video I have seen since I've been on AW, and that's a whole bunch of years.

Bravo, sailor. And thanks for sharing.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell you what. Wicked knows her spiders. That's for damn sure. But I think even she may learn something from that video.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Let me say that the pictures are wonderful. Unfortunately, most of the wildlife that I have seen, no camera was available. Seeing some porpoises swimming between two ships as a fuel transfer was going on was priceless. Coming up on a pod of killer whales slapping their tails on the water in the Juan de Fuca straits was stunning. Sea eagles around the northern tip of Vancouver Island the same. All I can add is this.

Great video!:)

I've seen the whales in the Juan de Fuca. Pretty amazing.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
I'm scared to death of spiders, but that's got to be the coolest spider video ever. :D
The next time you see a spider, rather than being scared, imagine it as the THC spider. It will be all mellow and relaxed. If it's moving? Caffeine spider.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I'll definitely be thinking of that video when I see one...if only for a sec...right before I start to panic. :D

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
:) Yeah, I've seen that video a few times over the years. It's pretty funny.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This wood stork was flying against a stiff breeze, tipping this way and that like a drunk person before she evened out for a moment. At one point, she appeared to be moving sideways and almost flipped over as if she were performing an aerial stunt:

3-3-12008-SM.jpg

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Here's a picture of a little spider on Asclepias incarnata 'Soulmate'. The flowers smell sort of like cotton candy. The monarch caterpillars loved it last year. Hope for more cats this year.

AsclepiasincarnataSoulMate26-25-11.jpg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is the hawk that used to dine on the sparrows I was feeding. I named him Thestral. I always felt bad for the sparrows, but damn I loved that hawk.

lightpic.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I can add is this.

:roll:

SK, the stork image is incredibly beautiful. The peach color on its wings looks like it's glowing.

Haggis, try Cass's hair stylist. He did wonders for her.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome picture of the stork! But dear God, Haggis, that avatar of yours creeps me the hell out!

You're not kidding! I just caught a glimpse of his avatar.

I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight.