XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question that has come up recently, and I don't know where in the forums to ask it.

Set up: I write and produce a play, and in it were copyrighted characters or situations. Owner of the copyrighted materials gets their knickers in a bunch over things -- as is their right -- and decide legal action is in order.

The targets of said legal action would be the writers and producers, naturally. Would they also target the actors? the stage people? Could they?

My common sense says no, but when have laws ever made sense? I would think not only because you're assuming that the cast/crew didn't know it was copyrighted material.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Copyright extends to anyone seeking to do anything public with the covered materials. Which is why the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA always has that spiel about not recording and then showing in a group setting. You can record for your own use, but the minute you show it to your church social (or whatever), it technically breaks the law.

If I have understood that hastily announced disclaimer right.

And I think - again, THINK- that the moment you are profiting from someone else's work, regardless of how, you are in violation. So the actors being paid to be, say, Harry Potter on stage in a non-approved work would be open to lawsuit as well.

Though bear in mind I failed out of law school.

:D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I may be reading the "victimisation of Lara Croft" thread in the gaming forum, and it reminds me that I should be clear about what I say to limit the room for misinterpretation.

That thread is making my head hurt, seriously.

I keep going back to the thread (and the half dozen other threads with similar topics) and wondering if - just maybe - the geek culture has brought this all upon itself... My brain is still ticking over on the subject, but something useful ought to pop out when I'm trying not to think on it so much.

Set up: I write and produce a play, and in it were copyrighted characters or situations. Owner of the copyrighted materials gets their knickers in a bunch over things -- as is their right -- and decide legal action is in order.

The targets of said legal action would be the writers and producers, naturally. Would they also target the actors? the stage people? Could they?

IANAL, but I would think the lawyers would target the producers first and foremost. There's a play from the 80s or 90s which ran into something very similar with... The Peanuts kids? The Archie gang? Something like those? I can't remember the details, but I know the characters were a lot older than their usual interpretations. The play was rewritten with different names, IIRC.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
That's why there's always someone in the shower :e2shower:

:ROFL: This tickles me. This tickles me greatly.

In the U.S., lawsuits can name anyone even if frivolous or false. Parties can move to be dismissed from the lawsuit, but they may sustain up-front costs in doing so.

If you're asking whether the actors and/or stage people can be found liable of infringement, I imagine you'd have to find some actual case law, but much would depend on how the suit was worded, etc.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Not as old as I thought it was - Archie's Weird Fantasy was actually 2003. I think there are other plays which have had lawsuits filed for this as well, though - there's an image in my head of a woman hanging out washing on a line from a poster. From a play which got into hot water back in the 80s, but the details of the case might have been different.

*sigh* I wish I had kept all of the stuff like the Scapegoat magazine to hand for questions like these. So difficult to answer without trawling through dozens of irrelevant links.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for coming up with the dramatic ending of a long story you've barely written anything of yet, especially if that ending happening would require a drastic change in the world the story takes place in...

I swear, my imagination is just trying to fuck with me at this point.

Also on a tangent: Is it really worth it to sell all my individual volumes of Doctor Who DVDs just to get Series 1-4 as boxsets then the Specials and Series 5 + 6 as Blu Ray box sets? Cause right now I have like 29 DVDs and they're just taking up more space than they need to. Plus because of the individual volume nature of the releases (like 3 episodes to a DVD), they lack many (often all) of the special features, and I'm a whore for special features.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Day 2 of getting a new roof. Here there be banging. And not the fun kind.

But now I have to go back to work, which means VPNing in, so no web surfing for me!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
*sigh* If I finish this UF-WIP at the end of Nano, I'll be completely surprised. I'm caught in that weird phase to where I'm happy with the way it's turning out so far but I'm worried about my pacing(or more importantly when the "action" starts). My MC has to defeat a total of eight people (Seven of them are the "embodiment" of The Seven Deadly Sins; the extra one is the dark "wizard" who made them that way--if that makes sense). On top of that, I'm still thinking about whether or not my MC should get any powers from defeating them and if she does, will they be permanent or go away as soon as she defeats the dark wizard. Ugh.

How is everyone else doing today though? :)

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I really wish I was able to drink coffee right about now. It's only half past 7 but I'm starting to feel annoyingly sleepy.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Your story sounds cool, Silver.

And I was sleepy but now I have a Coke and all is well. I'll pass out in a few hours, but that's ok. :)

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I hate my brain.

I now have an entire series/trilogy doing the fucking Charleston on my brain singing "write me, write me, write me" while I only have the VERY basic premise, the opening chapter or two of the first book, and some awesome moments from towards the end of the last book in my head.

Seriously, my brain is a dick!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Day 2 of getting a new roof. Here there be banging. And not the fun kind.

Yeah, I've had house painters here off and on for most of a week now, making my house all pretty while they trample the gardens I've spent a decade making beautiful into itty bitty smithereens. )-:

I believe they'll be done today. And tomorrow at this time, I will (fingers crossed) own a new house and have begun the 2012 Great Schlepp of Stuff.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would fire those idiots the second a toe headed for a garden plant. Or wait until they were a safe distance away and then nuke them from space to be sure they got the msg.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I hate my brain.

I now have an entire series/trilogy doing the fucking Charleston on my brain singing "write me, write me, write me" while I only have the VERY basic premise, the opening chapter or two of the first book, and some awesome moments from towards the end of the last book in my head.

Seriously, my brain is a dick!

Not that I'm not feeling your pain, 'cause, well, been there. But I just adore your imagery. the Charleston? Really? :roll:

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had house painters here off and on for most of a week now, making my house all pretty while they trample the gardens I've spent a decade making beautiful into itty bitty smithereens. )-:

I believe they'll be done today. And tomorrow at this time, I will (fingers crossed) own a new house and have begun the 2012 Great Schlepp of Stuff.

Good luck!

And I've posted my second SFF Challenge piece. Check the sig if you want. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.