Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
soooo. You guys are the people of enormous years and wisdom...

Should I extend my course for a year and get a diploma of languages to go with my shiny degree? Or should I do the degree, work, and then come back to do the diploma of languages?

Pros of doing it now - don't have to pay for it, it'll be a nice change from all the science stuff.

Cons - one extra year of being poor. Plus, my time management will have to get a lot better, cause they're at different campuses.

This is, of course, presuming my unit co-ordinator okays it. But yeah. Thoughts?

My personal opinion?

If doing so will not make your situation worse than it currently is, I would recommend doing the languages thing now. It may become very difficult to fit that study into your life at a later time and the opportunity would be lost.

But I don't know enough about your living or financial situation to say for sure.

Now, at my age and my living situation, adding class to my schedule is all but impossible without major reworking of schedules and imposing on wife and her family.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
:e2yawn:

:e2thud:

:sleepy:

Going to bed now. Be good while I'm gone, don't burn the cantina down, be sure and feed the smibbles before you leave.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
That thing is adorable.

That's how they suck you in.

You get many, many, many hugs. :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

I thought maybe we could suffer together, as friends :D

If that is how you make your friends suffer, remind me to never P*** you off. I can't unhear it. I want that 4:07 of my life back. GAH!!!

ION: No writing tonight. I'm going to bed early. Also I should finally have my truck back soon so I don't have to rely on others. And finally, it appears that my job is going to force me to quit somking or pay another $1440 a year for the pleasure of killing myself slowly. Wonder if they will pay for my stay in a padded room away from all of humanity for two weeks.

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
Guys. I am stuck in Query Letter Hell. I need a smibble inducing magically filled cup of something.

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anymore. I thought I'd be brave, take a smibble risk. My mind is turning into mush.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anymore. I thought I'd be brave, take a smibble risk. My mind is turning into mush.

QLH will do that to you. Here. *opens heart-shaped box full of pills* Take 22 of these and don't open your eyes 'til morning.

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel worse off now than when I started. Everyone says to focus on different stuff and i am getting all flustered and incompetent sad feeling.

QLH will do that to you. Here. *opens heart-shaped box full of pills* Take 22 of these and don't open your eyes 'til morning.

Best advice I've received all night, thank you. :D

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score

Should I extend my course for a year and get a diploma of languages to go with my shiny degree? Or should I do the degree, work, and then come back to do the diploma of languages?

the benefit of my years 'is, as 10s would say, dooooo eeeeeeeet! My experience is that 'coming back to do it later' rarely happens after you go out and get a full time job. One always MEANS to, but stuff happens and it gets postponed, etc. I'd do it now while you're in 'school' mode still. :)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel worse off now than when I started. Everyone says to focus on different stuff and i am getting all flustered and incompetent sad feeling.

Everyone will give slightly different advice or tell you to cut different lines or focus on different things.

Back away.

Read through their advice and thank them for their time. But back away. It's a lot to take in and when it's conflicting advice all it does is turn your mind to soup. And not good soup. Like, charred black bean and skittles soup.

Give yourself a day or two, then go back and figure out which things make sense. Read successful queries and get a feel for what works - how much back story, how much character, how much worldbuilding, how much conflict - and then rebuild.

Sometimes it's easier to take a few key phrases and build around them rather than write the thing start to finish.

Just remember, for the query it doesn't matter what happened before the story started. It matters what the character has to do and how she'll change during the story. Nothing else - not the other characters, the universe you spent 5 years concocting, or all those clever lines you spent hours crafting - is as important as that small journey.

You'll get there. :)

ETA: Successful Queries thread http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51967

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone will give slightly different advice or tell you to cut different lines or focus on different things.

Back away.

Read through their advice and thank them for their time. But back away. It's a lot to take in and when it's conflicting advice all it does is turn your mind to soup. And not good soup. Like, charred black bean and skittles soup.

Give yourself a day or two, then go back and figure out which things make sense. Read successful queries and get a feel for what works - how much back story, how much character, how much worldbuilding, how much conflict - and then rebuild.

Sometimes it's easier to take a few key phrases and build around them rather than write the thing start to finish.

Just remember, for the query it doesn't matter what happened before the story started. It matters what the character has to do and how she'll change during the story. Nothing else - not the other characters, the universe you spent 5 years concocting, or all those clever lines you spent hours crafting - is as important as that small journey.

ETA: Successful Queries thread http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51967

Thank you. Not only do you give me magic pills, but also wonderful advice. I really appreciate it :Hug2:. I will see you guys tomorrow!

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Guys. I am stuck in Query Letter Hell. I need a smibble inducing magically filled cup of something.

QLH will do that to you. *passes chocolate* give it a break, the squirrels will still be there later. Come back when you're refreshed and able to look objectively at the criticism, so it doesn't quite feel like they're tearing bits off you soul.

Thank you. Not only do you give me magic pills, but also wonderful advice. I really appreciate it :Hug2:. I will see you guys tomorrow!

:Hug2: good night.

Also, I sent an email to my course co-ordinate asking if I could do the dip of Lang. Hopefully he'll say yes. Thank you for te advice given

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
*Debio enters with a large rolled up carpet over his shoulder*
*He hurries to the freezer and sneaks inside, bumping the carpet once on the frame.*
*A few minutes later he comes back out and sits at the bar drinking his beer and occasionally giggling*

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
:Sun:

*Passes around good vibes*

:Coffee:

Morning. If someone replied to me on a previous conversation I apologise for ignoring you. I'm sure you said nice things and gave me good advice though.

I think I have the bug in retreat now.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, time to curl up in bed with Warhorse.

...No, see, it's a book--

Ew! 10! It's a book! A friggen book you pervy girl! Geeze!

No, don't run away! I still :heart: you. You can't leave meee.

~Fin~

:heart:

But for the record, unless it was strongly implied that Warhorse was your nickname for a dude, I would never innuendo that :eek:

If that is how you make your friends suffer, remind me to never P*** you off. I can't unhear it. I want that 4:07 of my life back. GAH!!!

Bahahahaha. I may have surpasssed even my own expectations in posting that :D

What Hillz said. Remember they're just opinions. If you happen to have gotten advice from an agent in that thread, listen to them a bit more than to the others :D

the benefit of my years 'is, as 10s would say, dooooo eeeeeeeet! My experience is that 'coming back to do it later' rarely happens after you go out and get a full time job. One always MEANS to, but stuff happens and it gets postponed, etc. I'd do it now while you're in 'school' mode still. :)

Agreed. Sian, dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeet!

In other, totally immature fangirly news: ED QUINN FAVORITED ONE OF MY TWEETS.

BRB, gonna die with giggles now.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
*He hurries to the freezer and sneaks inside, bumping the carpet once on the frame.*
*A few minutes later he comes back out and sits at the bar drinking his beer and occasionally giggling*

*raises eyebrows*

What, is cleopatra in there or something?

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
*raises eyebrows*

What, is cleopatra in there or something?

Nope, she is too hot for the freezer.

This is the guy my MCs are looking for. They aren't gonna find him till I'm good and ready. Don't worry about him, he's in a magical suspended animation, a little cold won't bother him a bit.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Morning folks. Today is gym day because I'm finally not feeling weak as a kitten. *cue Eye of the Tiger* Let's do it! I also need to clean my house and put away the huge pile of clothes colonising my sofa. Hmm.

On the bright side, they don't actually need their magic powers if they do something... uh... exciting. They'd be too busy for magic :D

That's too bad. I always figured magicians could get very... creative with their magic when they're excited. :e2brows:
It was more a scathing satire of the type of magic system where women lose their powers when they get their period. Mixed with some very juvenile humour. :D

Back from church. Anybody miss me?
I missed you! :)

If it's free, do it now. You should take the opportunity to do it for free, even if it means an extra year. As others have said going back into education later can be really difficult - life takes over and you might find yourself busy/married/working/pregnant/etc and it's suddenly much harder to take that year to do the course. Especially if it would require taking a year off work and getting paid a LOT less during that time (or even not getting paid at all).

Don't worry, QLH is like that. I'm doing my own query right now (it's on a back burner until the weekend, but it's 'going') and what I found most helpful was to look at other people's queries and critique them. You learn to spot common mistakes and what doesn't work. I did that for a few weeks before I even started writing my own query, and it really helped me focus on what a query should contain and what it shouldn't.

(Some common things I spotted: not giving enough specific detail; covering mostly backstory but not including enough plot; main character not doing enough things so they seem passive).

Erm, as High Guardian of the E-Z-Freeze, I'm going to need you to fill out these forms and sign this waiver if you want to keep someone in there.

BRB, gonna die with giggles now.
*fangirl squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!* :D

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

This.

And so, so much of this.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

DNO3a.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.