Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Why did the bookseller not take this to the islands people if as he claims "It was for the good of the island".

When there was a problem with fish stocks, the book-seller wrote an article for the local committee in order for it to be resolved.

Why on such an important issue, does he act alone without consulting anyone, especially after seeing how upset Gus was, after all as the bookseller keeps telling us, this was for the good of the island.

Moral high ground ? more like the swamp.

Y'know, I'm not actually a writer, I'm a token artist they let hang around here. (Since it's also been brought up, I never heard of Ms. Gliori beforee this thread)

Something you keep saying keeps confusing me.

Since when are books written by town committees?

Why would this book need to be put to the vote of the local community?

You keep saying the people involved did not go to the townspeople and ask them to adjudicate, but why should they? Ms. Gliori and her publisher were kind enough to help the island but that doesn't mean they should let the islanders take control of the book.

I was under the impression that people generally do not have veto or editorial power over books written about them or their home territories.

So your repeated comments about why the islanders were not more involved seem to me beside the point.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
somewhere between 1870-1916 -- Tobermory: by Saki famous talking cat.

2010 -- Tobermory distillery, realizing its distillery cats were becoming local legends in their own right, redesigns its sign to incorporate Tobermory (now deceased) and Ledaig (the ginger tom)

2011 -- Tobermory cat FB page goes up & Tobermory cat picture book is commissioned, independently of each other

2012 -- the catflap heard 'round the 'net.

So WHAT IDEA is it that you think was taken?

Saki had the "first" famous Tobermory cat, and the distillery had the living cats made famous by their liquor and advertising. One of THOSE cats (Ledaig) is the inspiration for the FB page AND the picture book.

All you've got is two creative endeavors inspired by previous endeavors and the antics of a real cat owned by the distillery that named him/them. That's it.

Inspiration is allowed.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Yes yes, you guys want this to be about copyright, that's why you keep swinging the conversation that way.

The fact remains the publisher and author and bookseller took the idea.

Whether or not it's legal or not I don't really care, they took Gus's idea and used it for their own financial gain.

Gus is only problem is he said they "stole" it, He should have just said they took his idea.

Wealthy internationally known author and publisher come to small island and with the help of book seller they take Gus's idea.

You may dispute that, but from what the bookseller has said on here and what the author has said on her blog, they are not on the same page.

If the book seller was "moral" he would have out this to the towns committee(which his bother is on) and decide what was best for the town.

He didn't and now look what a mess.

You are displaying foolishness with everything you say. Stop talking and you may lend yourself some credibility. Other writers here have in their expertise given you plenty of information on how your argument is faulty. Your actions make me think you are a troll, and as such, you have no business on AW.

You disrespect this community in everything you have done/said on this forum. Do some research. You are wrong. There's no other way to put it. If you stop trolling and actually present something worthwhile, then you are welcome to stay (and I am sure other writers here will agree). If not, please do not darken our doorstep again.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Go away and do some research before you pretend to know what is going on.

Anyone help Buffy ? Anyone ?

Given that a lot of people in this thread have indicated their intention to purchase the book, asking the question here is research.

Ah, pot. Oh, kettle.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
NakedTruth, we get that what Gus meant was he thinks they stole his idea. Thing is, in terms of literature and monetary recompense, you can't legally bind an idea. You can't copyright it. You can't trademark it. It is the product that comes from the idea that matters. Add to that, history provides us with the idea that Gus's idea was born from, so at best, he can claim they stole the idea he stole. But it would appear more accurate to suggest they followed through on an idea the same as he followed through on an idea, both of which were based on someone else's idea.

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
This thread has convinced me of two things:

1. Never visit Scotland, and...
2. Rid myself of my cats. (Sorry, kitties. It's been a great ten years.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Go away and do some research before you pretend to know what is going on.

Anyone help Buffy ? Anyone ?

You need to step back and tone it down.

We have done research. Some of it fairly technical.

Do you want to talk about your connection to Mr. Stewart?

Do you want to talk about how you came to AW and this thread?

NakedTruth

Banned
Reaction score
You are displaying foolishness with everything you say. Stop talking and you may lend yourself some credibility. Other writers here have in their expertise given you plenty of information on how your argument is faulty. Your actions make me think you are a troll, and as such, you have no business on AW.

You disrespect this community in everything you have done/said on this forum. Do some research. You are wrong. There's no other way to put it. If you stop trolling and actually present something worthwhile, then you are welcome to stay (and I am sure other writers here will agree). If not, please do not darken our doorstep again.

No it was the absolutewrite forum that chose to post untruths about me that bought me here, please do not darken my name again.

Please learn to use internet search tools better, they are like a good dictionary.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Gus's claim is that he is the one who made the "Tobermory-composite-cat" "famous for being famous"

As opposed to being famous for living in Tobermory, famous for advertising whisky, or famous for talking?

There's no reason to think that, had Gus never been born, Ms. Gliori's book wouldn't have come out on the same day, with the same illustrations and the same text.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
No it was the absolutewrite forum that chose to post untruths about me that bought me here, please do not darken my name again.

Please learn to use internet search tools better, they are like a good dictionary.

How has anyone here 'darkened' your name?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we put it in bold?

Presumably the mods can establish whether TC and NT are posting from different IPs.

NakedTruth

Banned
Reaction score
You need to step back and tone it down.

We have done research. Some of it fairly technical.

Do you want to talk about your connection to Mr. Stewart?

Do you want to talk about how you came to AW and this thread?

I came here because of the posts defaming me, if a user cannot be certain of another user's identity why let them post such nonsense ?

I have no connection whatsoever with Gus, my interest here is a "freedom of expression" issue, Debi is not a victim of cyber bullying, rather she is now herself a cyber bully.

And just as Gus's friends rushed off to take action on a matter they had no real knowledge of, so the majority of the users on here have done so.

I know this site was the site where attacks were launched against my comments on The Guardian. And the Guardian thought them defamatory and deleted them.

I am shocked that a whole community of authors cannot manage more than childish ad hominem attacks in an argument.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score

You do not answer things asked of you. If they were untruths, you could have cleared them up nicely. But you don't. You slink away from giving anything substantial to this forum, and your lack of research only adds to that. That is the mark of cowardice.

I ask again: can a mod please ban NakedTruth as he has proven he has nothing useful to add?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a deadline, and I don't think there's much point in continuing the string of "so's your mom" and tautological assertions. NakedTruth won't be participating any longer.

Feel free to get back to cat poetry. I suggest googling Pangur Bán.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I came here because of the posts defaming me, if a user cannot be certain of another user's identity why let them post such nonsense ?

You have yet to establish any posts here are defamatory. Mere assertion is not proof.

I have no connection whatsoever with Gus
Yet you refer to him by a familiar abbreviation of his first name, almost as if you did know him. Odd.

my interest here is a "freedom of expression" issue
So you agree Debi Gliori is entitled to freedom of expression.

I know this site was the site where attacks were launched against my comments on The Guardian. And the Guardian thought them defamatory and deleted them.
I note the Guardian deleted some comments because they "did not meet the community standards". That may or not be because the Guardian considered them defamatory. Only they know.

NakedTruth won't be participating any longer.

Awww. I was having so much FUN!

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score

No one is defaming you. I don't think you grasp what "defame" means.

I have no connection whatsoever with Gus, my interest here is a "freedom of expression" issue, Debi is not a victim of cyber bullying, rather she is now herself a cyber bully.

It is not a freedom of expression issue. It is a matter of copyright law, something about which both you and Gus have very little actual knowledge.

And just as Gus's friends rushed off to take action on a matter they had no real knowledge of, so the majority of the users on here have done so.

Untrue.

No one "launched" an attack against you; and even if you DID feel attacked, can you not imagine that people reading those comments can exist somewhere other than on AW? I'm sure there are dozens of people who replied to your posts who have NOTHING to do with AW.

I am shocked that a whole community of authors cannot manage more than childish ad hominem attacks in an argument.

When you're done looking up "defame," check out "ad hominem" because that appears to be another phrase you're a bit confused about.

No one here is attacking you; they're telling you that you're misinformed. When someone tries to ask a question, you avoid it; when someone tries to explain the issue, you dig your heels in and act petulant.

If you're truly interested in this issue, then please do educate yourself. Read this thread from top to bottom and then see if you hold the same beliefs because you can learn A LOT from the good folks here on AW.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yet you refer to him by a familiar abbreviation of his first name, almost as if you did know him. Odd.

The other arguments are clear, but that one is a bit weak. Plenty of people refer to people they don't know in familiar terms, especially on the internet. I wouldn't consider that one compelling.

The rest of it, especially the behavior NakedTruth evinced here in front of us all, is more pertinent.

Tobermory Cat

Banned
Reaction score
[
mccardey said:
I've been wanting to talk to you.
mccardey said:
I think your paintings are terrific - really terrific. Is there any chance that you'll stop this palaver about the book and go back to what you do really well? You do the painting thing really well - you really do. I think you should jut let the rest of it settle. The law is not on your side and I know that you feel like you should have a point - but you really don't. It's as though someone else was castigating you for painting a scene that they'd written about, or blogged, or photographed.

I know you're disappointed, but you're an artist - and a good one, a very talented one, a professional. And I'm worried that this will be what ends up defining you (though, truly, it probably won't be, I suppose....)

best (really!)

m

So, I guess I have been rehearsing arguments and learning quite a lot. I feel there is some substance to my claim. Had theirs been a book by Jimmy Saville would there be such a defence? Would all argument be turned the other way? Excuse the mess but in this situation I don't see myself being excused so its one way trip. Do tell me if I am wrong.I have provided exits - the 2.5% gross for the hall. Surprised that wasn't agreed months ago. I thought it was a nice idea, we could all have smiled and hug and ....sorry, my perverted mind. [SIZE=+0]I[/SIZE]ts just a personality clash. I don't respond well to bullying but maybe its normal in your business. Some smart cookies about, quite interesting to watch. But back to work. Any suggested exit strategies which don't involve me being totally wiped out? Thanks for the nice comments. Regards, Angus

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
[

So, I guess I have been rehearsing arguments and learning quite a lot. I feel there is some substance to my claim. Had theirs been a book by Jimmy Saville would there be such a defence? Would all argument be turned the other way? Excuse the mess but in this situation I don't see myself being excused so its one way trip. Do tell me if I am wrong.I have provided exits - the 2.5% gross for the hall. Surprised that wasn't agreed months ago. I thought it was a nice idea, we could all have smiled and hug and ....sorry, my perverted mind. [SIZE=+0]I[/SIZE]ts just a personality clash. I don't respond well to bullying but maybe its normal in your business. Some smart cookies about, quite interesting to watch. But back to work. Any suggested exit strategies which don't involve me being totally wiped out? Thanks for the nice comments. Regards, Angus

You, personally, may feel like your claim has substance, but the actual truth of the matter is that it doesn't as has been explained to you using facts and reason many times. Deb Gliori and her publisher owe you nothing. The only exit available now is for you to drop this whole matter and go back to photographing the cats and painting. The longer this drags on, the worse you look.

Deleted member 42

Awww. I was having so much FUN!

The misuse of ad hominem was too painful to bear.

But look! Here's a cat. This is the Bellingham Cat.

Sleepykitty01.jpg

Sleepykitty02.jpg

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think your paintings are terrific - really terrific. Is there any chance that you'll stop this palaver about the book and go back to what you do really well? You do the painting thing really well - you really do. I think you should jut let the rest of it settle. The law is not on your side and I know that you feel like you should have a point - but you really don't. It's as though someone else was castigating you for painting a scene that they'd written about, or blogged, or photographed.

I know you're disappointed, but you're an artist - and a good one, a very talented one, a professional. And I'm worried that this will be what ends up defining you (though, truly, it probably won't be, I suppose....)

best (really!)

m

Yes, that's my PM - I think - it sounds like me. From memory, I sent it a few days ago, the second time you rrived here. I just didn't like to see you makinng a bad situation get worse than it had to be.

We don't usually take PMs public here, TC, but I'm happy to just assume you didn't know that. I'm not sure what your point is in quoting it, though. It's a nice PM. I think everyone here would assume it would be a pretty nice PM. And I do stand by it.

ETA: When I saw that you'd come back a few days later, I posted a similar message on thread, just in case you weren't reading your PMs.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Any suggested exit strategies which don't involve me being totally wiped out? Thanks for the nice comments. Regards, Angus

How about (to Debi, in public)

I'm really sorry intimated that you're a thief. I now know that this isn't the case, and I apologise unreservedly for any and all distress and loss of professional standing you may have undergone due to my actions.

(PS I was under the impression the publisher is already donating to the town hall - willingly. Am I mistaken? Sure I saw it on one link, but I can't recall which one)

Status
Not open for further replies.