50 Shades of Grey?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Well I have a Masters Degree with honors in English Literature and I liked it. :p
I did not get bored. I've only read the first book though. But I wanted to find out why Grey was fucked up and I liked all the fun first person voice and the college excitement and the Tess of the D'urbeville's first edition etc....
The worst things about the book is that she has the heroine describing herself while looking in the mirror in the first paragraph which is a classic "NO". And that the characters are supposed to American when they are so very very British. She should have just set it in London. Would that have decreased sales though?
I lol at all the talk of sex and fetish. There isn't even any sex until half way through the book! It's really not that racy. Your average thriller practically has that much sex in it these days, although probably without the whip.

Last edited:

Shane D

Registered
Reaction score
Well I have a Masters Degree with honors in English Literature and I liked it. :p

Congrats on the education?

I did not get bored.

Do you read romance novels?

I lol at all the talk of sex and fetish. There isn't even any sex until half way through the book! It's really not that racy. Your average thriller practically has that much sex in it these days, although probably without the whip.

I agree there was not very much sex at all. I am really surprised that women like (love?) this book. Of course what I don't understand about women could fill an ocean.:D

Shane D

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Some reasons I think this book became a best seller--- it's has a fun "New Adult" feel and voice (fun of being college age) It has the Mills and Boon Cinderella fantasy of a billionaire who sweeps you away with his wealth updated for this decade with the flash techie toys etc... The sex scenes were well written in terms of what the heroines physical responses were I think. It has light BD/SM and power exchange which does appeal to a lot of women. It has a tortured Heathcliff type hero redeemed by love. An amazing man who could have anyone wants ONLY the heroine. All those things.

Last edited:

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I just finished the book finally and must admit, I'm hooked enough that I will probably be picking up the sequel.

Yes, the writing isn't the best but it's not the worst I've read either. And underneath it is a story that I actually quite enjoy and characters that I want to know more about, particularly the enigmatic Christian Grey.

I do also want to read more erotica in general too though!

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Some reasons--- it's has a fun "New Adult" feel and voice (fun of being college age) It has the Mills and Boon Cinderella fantasy of a billionaire who sweeps you away with his wealth updated for this decade with the flash techie toys etc... The sex scenes were well written in terms of what the heroines physical responses were I think. It has light BD/SM and power exchange which does appeal to a lot of women. It has a tortured Heathcliff type hero redeemed by love. An amazing man who could have anyone wants ONLY the heroine. All those things.

I suspect that's the real reason for its popularity. The bdsm stuff seems to be treated more with a view that it's something the heroine will help him get rid of even wanting to do...

Personally I just skimmed the book to try to see what the fuss was all about and thought the writing was dreadful, but with some catchy elements like the 'inner Goddess' dancing around.
Every 'oh my' or 'down there?' made me just cringe and I got a soooo-not-sexy image of the little old lady from Tweety bird in my head every time I saw that phrase.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
The bdsm stuff seems to be treated more with a view that it's something the heroine will help him get rid of even wanting to do

A very popular conception from reviews, but not so much in the actual text.

ZoeYork

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoeyork.com
A very popular conception from reviews, but not so much in the actual text.

Yep.

I didn't like the character of Christian Grey, and I'm not a huge fan of the billionaire trope in general, but the books worked for me for the other reasons gingerwoman spelled out - expressions and internal thoughts aside, I think the sex scenes were well done. I also like break up (and make up) scenes, and I thought James did that well.

I only borrowed the books from a friend, and I have no desire to re-read them - they certainly weren't the transformative read for me that they were for many other women. But I can't slam them either.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read far enough into 50 to really get to where he was overly abusive, so I can't comment on that. I think the tension/chemistry existed from the very beginning, and that's what people like.

I did read Twilight however, and, call me crazy, but I don't see what makes him so abusive/scary. Obsessed with love for Bella, yes, but that's what romance is all about.

Obsession and love are totally different things.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yep.

I didn't like the character of Christian Grey, and I'm not a huge fan of the billionaire trope in general, but the books worked for me for the other reasons gingerwoman spelled out - expressions and internal thoughts aside, I think the sex scenes were well done. I also like break up (and make up) scenes, and I thought James did that well.

I only borrowed the books from a friend, and I have no desire to re-read them - they certainly weren't the transformative read for me that they were for many other women. But I can't slam them either.
Yes it wasn't transformatative at all but it was FUN. Oddly I absolutely hated Twilight and quit halfway through. Mostly because Edward's dialogue was so repetitive and vampires playing baseball seemed ridiculous to me. (says me who wrote a book with sylphs having bisexual menage sex in Santa's sleigh.)

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
Aw, vampire baseball was one of the most awesome things.

Also, it suddenly struck me that my initial post about finally finishing it did not mention how awesome the emails in the book are. Every writer has to be good at something and that is definitely where E.L. James shines. I laughed my ass off over them all the time, it was great.

KDDante

Registered
Reaction score
I bought the set of all 3 books and got through about 1/2 of the first book and decided to sell them off. How can anyone like this manipluative, self centered, a-hole, jerk-weed who lulls woman into a contracted form of legal rape, I'll have no idea. (Seriously, that is what Christian's 'contract' was.) And Ana was a complete idiot to boot.

Maybe it's just me, but Mr. Grey should be behind bars for several life sentences. But again...that's just me. LOL

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I read Fifty Shades in November.

For research. After all, as many have said, it's selling, so as a writer who also wants to sell books, I figured it was worthwhile to know what it might have that I don't.

Also, I've heard it maligned from every corner for months - mostly from people who haven't read it. If I was going to join them, I wanted to be able to at least say I've read it.

Well, I've read it. Now I can definitively say - it's bad. Even the sex scenes aren't great. Jayne Krentz and Julie Garwood do much better sex scenes, and they have a believable plot and characters to boot.

The writing is repetitive, and unimaginative. The characters are cardboard cutouts and the plot, such as it is, is pathetically shallow.

I give it a big thumbs down.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, vampire baseball was one of the most awesome things.

Also, it suddenly struck me that my initial post about finally finishing it did not mention how awesome the emails in the book are. Every writer has to be good at something and that is definitely where E.L. James shines. I laughed my ass off over them all the time, it was great.
YES no one mentions that and I think it's one of the things that has made this book such a financial success.
All the bad mouthing makes me want to defend it. And I know the fact that I actually managed to finish it says something for the book since I start a lot of books that bore me at some point so I don't finish. (And I have a Masters Degree in English Literature and I still say this book isn't bad. Not the first one anyway. I did put the second one down. lol )

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
On finishing it and on repetitive stuff, don't forget this wasn't a novel, it was a long series of blog posts and as far as I can tell, they just tossed them out as a "self published" book without much thought. I suspect she figured it was an easy way to make a few hundred bucks, not a few million.

I never thought about it, but I agree. The emails are fantastic.

I don't really have a problem with the contract. Contracts are part of some BDSM relationships and I think it works in the story as an effective info dump to explain the general gist of a total power exchange. Whether that's what actual contracts of relationships are like, I have no clue, but nothing there strikes me as anything terrible. It beats the hell out of the first of the Masters of the Shadowlands book where the woman is defacto raped, subjected to a scene without her real consent while she screams her objections, and goes back for more.

Obviously, I tend to defend the book as well. I've read so many nasty reviews of it that criticize it for things that aren't in the text. I think there's a lot of jealousy. I think there's a lot of emotion that by just tossing something out and it becoming so successful she hasn't suffered enough for her art. Also, when I see people deride it as slander to BDSM and they recommend Shadowlands, it really makes me stabby.

Last edited:

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
On finishing it and on repetitive stuff, don't forget this wasn't a novel, it was a long series of blog posts and as far as I can tell, they just tossed them out as a "self published" book without much thought. I suspect she figured it was an easy way to make a few hundred bucks, not a few million.

I never thought about it, but I agree. The emails are fantastic.

I don't really have a problem with the contract. Contracts are part of some BDSM relationships and I think it works in the story as an effective info dump to explain the general gist of a total power exchange. Whether that's what actual contracts of relationships are like, I have no clue, but nothing there strikes me as anything terrible. It beats the hell out of the first of the Masters of the Shadowlands book where the woman is defacto raped, subjected to a scene without her real consent while she screams her objections, and goes back for more.

Obviously, I tend to defend the book as well. I've read so many nasty reviews of it that criticize it for things that aren't in the text. I think there's a lot of jealousy. I think there's a lot of emotion that by just tossing something out and it becoming so successful she hasn't suffered enough for her art. Also, when I see people deride it as slander to BDSM and they recommend Shadowlands, it really makes me stabby.

It was a novel. It was 2 books before she decided to publish it, she let her fans have the third book pdf for free when she finished writing it before she published it. Because they had the previous two free. This has been discussed before, it wasn't blog posts, only became blog posts after fanfiction.net banned E.L. James from posting her books so then she had to post on her own website.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least somebody's on top of this charade of a book. Too bad nobody takes anything Canada says seriously. =/

tumblr_mef15sESlY1rmxdlno1_500.jpg

http://protest-resources.tumblr.com/post/37044146617/50-shades-of-abuse-flyer-canada-use

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It was a novel. It was 2 books before she decided to publish it, she let her fans have the third book pdf for free when she finished writing it before she published it. Because they had the previous two free. This has been discussed before, it wasn't blog posts, only became blog posts after fanfiction.net banned E.L. James from posting her books so then she had to post on her own website.
What??? Why was she banned lol!

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
I'm only part way through the second book. I guess I haven't got to where a lot of this stuff happens.

Don't hold your breath, it doesn't. It's conflating a power exchange with domestic abuse.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
So you mean to say that when he's increasingly jealous of her friend-zoned bff Jose and constantly states the obvious of "He wants to get in your pants, but he can't because you're mine." hasn't happened yet? Or how about how he doesn't like her seeing Kate's brother when he's in town, or how the guy at work is friendly to her. Or how about when she breaks up with him, not because of his lifestyle or his history, but because she was terrified of what he had done to her, he hit her (spanked, yes, but she constantly looks back on it as he 'hit' her) and that he could revert back and do it again if he was ever angry enough?

Maybe you'll remember whenever they have a discussion. Ana tries to open up to him, about her fears and insecurities of being hurt again, physically, and he literally dismisses it as "That's the way I am and you're going to have to learn to deal with it." Or maybe when he doesn't allow her to go anywhere without supervision, either his crones or himself... she can't leave her office building, she can't drive to work on her own, she literally can't do anything without someone holding her hand through it because he commands it.

That's all in the first two books, but maybe you glossed over all that when you were reading the repetitive sex scenes.

Shane D

Registered
Reaction score
That's all in the first two books, but maybe you glossed over all that when you were reading the repetitive sex scenes.

A lot of that was just in the first 350 pages of the first book. You are wasting your words here. These two ladies love this author/stories.
And one has a Masters degree.:D

I thought it was boring, she was an idiot and he was an a-hole. But then I don't like romance books so i might have missed the whole "concept".

Shane D

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
So you mean to say that when he's increasingly jealous of her friend-zoned bff Jose and constantly states the obvious of "He wants to get in your pants, but he can't because you're mine." hasn't happened yet? Or how about how he doesn't like her seeing Kate's brother when he's in town, or how the guy at work is friendly to her. Or how about when she breaks up with him, not because of his lifestyle or his history, but because she was terrified of what he had done to her, he hit her (spanked, yes, but she constantly looks back on it as he 'hit' her) and that he could revert back and do it again if he was ever angry enough?

Maybe you'll remember whenever they have a discussion. Ana tries to open up to him, about her fears and insecurities of being hurt again, physically, and he literally dismisses it as "That's the way I am and you're going to have to learn to deal with it." Or maybe when he doesn't allow her to go anywhere without supervision, either his crones or himself... she can't leave her office building, she can't drive to work on her own, she literally can't do anything without someone holding her hand through it because he commands it.

I find the last two posts in this thread rather sexist. I don't think either Katie or either ever passionately claimed to love this book anywhere. Nor that we read it for the sex scenes which..... when you accuse an erotic romance author of that... is pretty funny.

No I said "a lot of this stuff" hasn't come up yet. Some of it on the other hand has happened. The Joss stuff was a fraction too controlling and the stalking stuff where he tracks down that she's at the night club etc... is definitely wrong outside of fantasy.

However as I recall when he "hit" her she demanded repeatedly that he show her the worst of BD/SM that he could give to her. She demanded that he give it to her as hard as possible, and then she was horrified when he hit her too hard. So that's not the same as him randomly hitting her as abuse. She agreed to engage in a BD/SM scene with him and urged him to do his worst. (And yes I see how that offends some people in the BD/SM lifestyle but....it's a story. )

I don't agree that he constantly dismisses her concerns about engaging in a BD/SM relationship. He repeatedly says to her she doesn't have to do it, and he doesn't want to force her into it, but if she wants to be his girlfriend that's how he is and what he does. He's very clear with her that she can walk away any time and as far as her being weak....you know she does walk away. She gives back all his gifts and walks and she doesn't agree to be part of any kind of relationship again until he agrees to make some changes for her. So people constantly painting her as 100% weak is inaccurate.

Christian's refusing a relationship with a woman unless it's BDSM may not be a very admirable trait in a man, but stories need character conflict and character flaws, and that is his issue in the beginning, and in fact they both do change their mindsets and grow as characters.

As for my reading the book for the sex scenes LMAO. The first book doesn't even have any sex scene until the middle of the book.

Look at the book in my avatar. That's my book published by Samhain Publishing and I suspect you'd think Fifty Shades of Grey istame in comparison. :-D

Also I didn't say I LOVED Fifty Shades of Grey. I just get tired of people constantly panning it beyond what it deserves. I think it does have some elements that many other romances lack, that I think explain its popular success.

I don't think the sex scenes are poorly written they are OK, if they were what I enjoyed about the book I would admit that but actually what I enjoyed about the book were the emails and the fun New Age aspects of the story.
I kind of play the Devil's advocate when people start slagging off FSOG, because it seems fashionable to dog this book even while everyone is throwing vast quantities of money at the author.
I do think a certain part of that is a combination of sexism, the same sexism that is thrown at the whole romance genre and jealousy of EL James outstanding popularity.
It's not like I don't see where Christian was an asshole, but I haven't finished the three books to see if he redeems himself and there are many places in the story where he checks to make sure she is OK with things and doesn't force things on her so implying that he doesn't is misreading. Also it's not like EL James failed to explain why he behaves the way he does. He has very signifigant issues in his past that cause him to be "50 shades of fucked up". So the author has not failed to give a reason for her protagonist's unpleasant side. And yet painting the character as being wholly controlling is inaccurate as he repeatedly gives Ana outs if she doesn't want to deal with his neuroses.
As for when he starts making it so she can't go out alone that is explained by the fact he's protecting her from his violent ex-girlfriend who wants to harm her. So it's not like it is is just in there and not explained and it's a common device in romance novels so the hero and heroine are forced into artificial close proximity to make the romance work.

Also when I broke down for people in this thread what I thought worked about 50 shades I did that to help us all reflect on what possibly made this romance a best seller, something I thought we'd all be interested in here. It was my analysis of aspects I thought contributed to its success.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to AW, but I think ad hominem attacks are offside around here.
Thanks Zoe. I didn't mean you when I said "the last two posts" obviously. :) It's funny that I'm getting into defending because it's not like it's anything close to my fav book in the world. I just do not it agree that it is incredibly poorly written or that it has no good qualities.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
But then I don't like romance books so i might have missed the whole "concept".

Shane D
See your sneering at the whole genre and even put the word "concept" in quotation marks. Buddy that is a millionaire making concept!
I actually understand as there was a time, twenty years back, when I snubbed the romance genre and only read literary novels.
And then I found out that something like 52% of all fiction sold is romance.
And I learned about romance. And I had a Film Studies professor at university that taught us that all genres have their great films/books and to not snub something purely because of its genre.