Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
At one point I had over 200 New Kids on the Block posters/magazine cutouts on my bedroom walls. Don't think I have a leg to stand on to criticize anyone about their love of boy bands. :D

I didn't go "posters" far but if my CD rack could talk it would make me sound much less cool than I am now.

When you used to listen to the Spice Girls as a teenage boy, you have no right to criticise teenage girls for listening to One Direction. :D

And I didn't even like them for their looks, I genuinely liked the music!

Could be worse. Could have listened to .....

the Osmunds.....

The Carpenters......

:hi:

I'm so ashamed.

Actually, no, I'm not. Good musicianship is good musicianship, regardless of lameness of packaging. Everybody lauds Elvis, and he had the stupidest repertoire I have heard. Good musician, terrible taste in music he chose to record.

ETA: to my credit, though, I never did have posters of bands and singers all over my walls. I had pictures of Secretariat and Seattle Slew and the like. My sister was and is a nut about horses.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Could be worse. Could have listened to .....

the Osmunds.....

The Carpenters.......

:hi:

I'm so ashamed.

Actually, no, I'm not. Good musicianship is good musicianship, regardless of lameness of packaging. Everybody lauds Elvis, and he had the stupidest repertoire I have heard. Good musician, terrible taste in music he chose to record.
Everybody you listed here is really before my time... my mum listens to the Carpenters occasionally though.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody you listed here is really before my time... my mum listens to the Carpenters occasionally though.

Seeing as how my younger daughter is your age exactly, it would be not unreasonable to assume that your mother and I are near the same age.

Nowadays, however, I don't listen to the Carpenters that much. When i'm feeling needy for oldies, I listen to Fleetwood Mac, Crosby, Stills and Nash, or, my personal vote for the greatest band since the Beatles, The Eagles.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Nowadays, however, I don't listen to the Carpenters that much. When i'm feeling needy for oldies, I listen to Fleetwood Mac, Crosby, Stills and Nash, or, my personal vote for the greatest band since the Beatles, The Eagles.
My dad listens to the Eagles occasionally, and I'm quite fond of them myself. Even if I do have the habit of all-but forgetting they exist until I hear someone playing them.

Also is it odd that I get on so much better with you than my mum? I'd always just assumed it was an age difference thing.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
*walks in, dies on floor, stays dead, is wearing sign that reads "Hi"*

:tongue

Feelin' too rundown to backread today. Would like to borrow some horse tranquilizers if we have any on hand.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My dad listens to the Eagles occasionally, and I'm quite fond of them myself. Even if I do have the habit of all-but forgetting they exist until I hear someone playing them.

Also is it odd that I get on so much better with you than my mum? I'd always just assumed it was an age difference thing.

You get along with me because you aren't invested in my approval. If we decided we didn't get on, you'd shrug your shoulders and move on. If you and your mum decided you didn't get on, that would be much more devastating, I suspect.

Because you're not invested in my approval, it makes me safe to say things to, things that you might fear your mother would not like. You can share your sexuality, your dreams and hopes, your tastes.

It also means that, when I say insane things like, "I liked the Osmunds," you can just ignore them, without repercussion. Or you can mock them, without fear of reprisal. Can't really do that with Mum; gotta watch it around her, because she might withhold her approval and love, and that wouldn't be good.

The fallacy in that logic is, if she's a good mum, she won't actually withhold her approval and love. Mums invest their love for the long term -- and as a mum myself, trust me, she is invested in you in a way you can not ever ever ever fathom the depths of -- and only the worst kind of mum dumps a kid because the two of them disagree.

Eeveette

Adorableon
Registered
Reaction score
*walks in, dies on floor, stays dead, is wearing sign that reads "Hi"*

:tongue

Feelin' too rundown to backread today. Would like to borrow some horse tranquilizers if we have any on hand.

*shoots you in the butt with a tranquilizer gun*

Works every time. Trust me.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't see anyyytthhiinngg..... :Hides behind the bar:

Mr. Kricket

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
You get along with me because you aren't invested in my approval. If we decided we didn't get on, you'd shrug your shoulders and move on. If you and your mum decided you didn't get on, that would be much more devastating, I suspect.

Because you're not invested in my approval, it makes me safe to say things to, things that you might fear your mother would not like. You can share your sexuality, your dreams and hopes, your tastes.

It also means that, when I say insane things like, "I liked the Osmunds," you can just ignore them, without repercussion. Or you can mock them, without fear of reprisal. Can't really do that with Mum; gotta watch it around her, because she might withhold her approval and love, and that wouldn't be good.

The fallacy in that logic is, if she's a good mum, she won't actually withhold her approval and love. Mums invest their love for the long term -- and as a mum myself, trust me, she is invested in you in a way you can not ever ever ever fathom the depths of -- and only the worst kind of mum dumps a kid because the two of them disagree.
It's uncanny the way you can make me feel better about things I didn't even realise I was feeling bad about until you started talking.

You must be a good mum. :D

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I was wrong, I'm gonna backread. But then I'm totally going to sleep for like 3 days.

Er, I just found this by accident - CALLING RAVEN! :D

:roll: On a slightly related note, Halifax, NS is not named for the Halifax in England. It was named for the 2nd Earl of Halifax. Before colonial times the Mi'kmaq had a city or at least a hub of civilization here under a different name, of course- the 1700s British army base at Citadel Hill, which was once the center of town, sprung up in part to protect his trade interests, and that's considered the act that founded the city.

I swear I've heard something similar before... I think maybe my Spanish teacher, he used to toss around a lot of quotes... Anyway, it went something like, "From Hell, hole, and Halifax, Lord deliver us"- hole being the grave, Halifax being the one in England.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
It's uncanny the way you can make me feel better about things I didn't even realise I was feeling bad about until you started talking.

You must be a good mum. :D

Thank you! My kids seem to approve. And I have been doing this for a while. Mostly I learned it from my own mum and dad, who were the best parents ever ever ever.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Kricket!!!!

What sort of trouble are you getting into!? :D

The kind that gets him smacked.

:rolleyes

I was eating lunch and feeding kids and Mr. K saw that I left my laptop open on the Cantina. He likes to take advantage like that.

Anywho, almost nap time! :hooray:

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
The question is: Which was your favorite?

Jonathan. Who, as it turns out, is gay. So I guess that's a childhood dream that will never be. ;)

Well, I suppose if Tifferbugz can admit her penchant for NKOTB (whom I really, really disliked, by the way, even back in 88-89. I preferred the Weird Al versions of their songs), I can admit my undying love and affection[SUP]*[/SUP] for Nelson. Yes. Nelson. The long haired, bleached blond twins. (OMG, TWINS! *swoon* Yeah... a little kinky even then, me, especially after hearing them sing Two Heads are Better than One on Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure Soundtrack. So sue me. ;)

I still have a soft spot for those boys. I liked their dad, too. :)

*Hah! *slaps knee* Did you see what I did there?

*groans at own joke...*

:D

I leave you all with this awesomeness. You're welcome.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score

The girls in the same year as me at school (or at least those who expressed an opinion on the subject) were all into Donny Osmond or David Cassidy.

I've met some a few years older than me who fancied the pants off Marc Bolan and suffered major trauma when he died.

A year or two after I started getting interested in pop music (watching Top of the Pops from age eight), the Bay City Rollers came along.

Pretty boys singing fluff is a perennial genre.

I saw The Carpenters on a recent 1977 TOTP repeat performing "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - okay, it was with the benefit of hindsight, but Karen looked very very thin then, especially in one shot when she was standing side on to the camera.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Okay... three pages left to backread... Can I take a break to complain? :D

I keep waking up feeling joint-achy and dizzy and weak ever since that time costocondroitis and bronchitis decided to tag-team me last month. If I have a bad night of insomnia or anything it seems to hit me a lot harder than before, and no matter how often I gargle salt water my gums remain a swollen infected mess. I consider it a very good sign that I'm allowed back to my usual workout regimen and haven't knocked myself out yet, but I'm just getting really impatient with feeling cruddy the rest of the time.

I would like to go back to being healthy enough to kick a tiger down the hall now please. Kthnx.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Multi-quote as I get kicked out because the library closes in 6 minutes! :O

The raptors are a different story. I still don't know why we keep them....

<BAMF>Because they're real tasty on the barbecue.</BAMF>

:D

In other news, I found out I have digital copies of 223 poems I've written, and they're all crap. Maybe I should give up on the whole poetry thing...

I have over 70k words of poetry saved in a Word document, and probably wrote more that I never kept. 95% of it is terribad. But you know why most great poets seem to have published relatively few and relatively short individual pieces? It's cause 80% of theirs probably sucked too.

I'm taking cold medicine (which I shouldn't, due to side effects that make my ongoing healthcare management more difficult), but I just can't breathe otherwise.

my head is pounding, my throat sore, and I'm up to my second hankie and counting.

Head colds in summer are evil. It's too hot to be sick, I feel like I might boil away any minute now.

:Hug2: Here's me also hoping you buggers get better soon. Don't make me have to cross the Atlantic and nurse ya back to health, or you're paying for the plane ticket :tongue

DEWD. Best thing ever.

He goes to bed at the same time everyday, and yet he doesn't wake up at the same time. It confuses me.

Sorcery. :D
There's something so wonderful about sleeping in late, then waking up and finding out that your love made lasagna for breakfast.

... If a lady made me lasagna for breakfast, I'd not only agree to marry her, I'd get surgically attached at the ankle if she asked. :tongue

I feel like I'm about to expire. No idea how I'm going to get to sleep tonight.

Has your parents' place got a sleeping porch? I cannot fathom the idea that houses would be built somewhere as warm as your part of Australia without a sleeping porch. It would be like building a house here without heating of any kind.

On weight: Trust me, guys, it is much, much better to be over than way under. If nothing else, the damage of being overweight is easier to reverse.

Eeveette

Adorableon
Registered
Reaction score
... If a lady made me lasagna for breakfast, I'd not only agree to marry her, I'd get surgically attached at the ankle if she asked. :tongue

But then they'd have to drag you out of bed as well to make it and you'd have to get out of bed for lunch and dinner as well.

(This is the life. :e2cloud9:)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud:

I spent the remained of my afternoon critiquing chapters. Dear god am I drained. I can't let them back up like that again. I'm off to play the Sims.

Completely apropos of nothing, I just bought one of these.

*skips away giggling like a 6 year old*
That is just epic!

Status
Not open for further replies.