The Walking Dead - AMC

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Perks. I envy all you cable owners... my dad is taping it for me so I'll be able to watch it tomorrow... around 8:00 a.m., hopefully, if Dad answers the doorbell that early... :banana:

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Chris Hardwick, host of "Talking Dead", lost his father yesterday. I'm not sure what this means for the episode tonight- and of course, I don't at all expect him to still host. It's a great show and I always look forward to it. Curious what's going to happen.

ETA: I see on the Talking Dead FB fan page that he's still hosting tonight.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Helpful hint: Google Norman Reedus. Hot hot hot.

Greasy hair notwithstanding, I love Daryl. Like, really badly. Although... a dollop of Pantene would not offend me at all.

QFT.

He is my only celebrity crush. Ever since Boondock Saints. And one episode of Charmed back in the day. Rrrrrrawwwr!!

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I was bored up until the last five minutes of this episode. I get that they want to show how the Governor got to be outside the prison and such, and the next episode seems focused on him as well but at least it looks better than this one.

I wonder if the next episode is the set-up for him attacking the prison. That was a lot of walkers at the end of the preview.

All in all, not horrid, but yeah...I was a bit bored, though it was interesting seeing him interact with Megan.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I was so bored I wanted a time machine solely so that I could go back through the past week and delete my anticipation of tonight's episode.

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Last week's episode I was on the edge of my seat, couldn't concentrate on anything except for what was on the screen. (Not Glen! Not Glen!)

This week, I had to resist the urge to work on my book.

I really hope next week's episode gets me on the edge of my seat again.

Also, Chris Hardwick is a frickin' trooper.

Last edited:

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
That was the most annoying hour of television I have seen all year. They are really going to spend two out of the last three episodes on the Governor? One episode was annoying, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to sit through another.

And I'm someone who loves the Governor, but this entire episode was boring, especially after what many consider to be one of the better episodes of the series. I like the Governor when he is a threat, not when they are trying to do whatever it is that they were trying to do.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the opposite side. It felt a little like a spin-off episode. I found myself yelling at the tv, "Just leave the poor guy alone for a second!" And then remembering who the "poor guy" was and being confused.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I'm on the opposite side.
Yeah, more proof that my finger is about as far from the pulse of popular opinion as possible. I think this was my favorite episode of the season.

I admit that it went on too long. And I suspect that this episode (Live Bait) and next week's (Dead Weight) could have been better combined into a single "spin-off" episode, but the feeling of impending dread (Is he going to do something horrible to these people?) and mixed feelings of sympathy (Wait! He's a horrible person!) made for excellent storytelling.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Yeah, it was kinda boring until the end. I wanted to slap the lot of them. The women were being stupid, he was being an idiot. Thanks God he shaved.

I've got 2 daughters. 1 has been a fan, the other just started watching last week and sort of liked it. I feel like this might have turned her off. She even mentioned that it seemed like the zombies were hard to avoid being killed by.

I just didn't get 1/2 of what he did. Very grateful he eventually shaved.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There is just something so to-the-bone unappealing about the Governor that he can't buoy an entire episode (much less an entire spinoff storyline) on his own. It's not because he's a bad guy. It's hard for me to put my finger on why he's so unwatchable. The worst part of this is that I can't tell if it's because David Morrissey is a terrific actor or a lousy one.

The only thing that kept his quasi-catatonic stupor at the beginning of this episode from being laughable was that it was too irritating to watch for very long.

I've been a fan from the first episode. My husband is just about ready to give up on it after last night. I'm not that far gone, but I've no enthusiasm for next week's show and that's a bad first for me.

Last edited:

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
His stupor might have been easier to watch if anyone else said, "Wow this dude must be messed up." Instead they all acted like it was just slightly rude.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, that might've helped, but it just felt off. Andrew Lincoln had to be in a post-traumatic stupor in several episodes and I believed his face. This one, not so much. I was actually very glad of the eyepatch and the rotted kelp on the southern hemisphere of his head, because I fervently didn't want to see more of his forced, undercooked expression.

Last edited:

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
I also found this episode very, very dull.

Until I remembered that, in the comics, "Lilly" was the person from the governor's army who shot Lori and Judith during the attack on the prison, realized she'd killed an infant, freaked out, and turned around and killed the governor.

I think there's been some debate on here about who might end up doing the deed on the show, but I think it would be satisfying to see it play out this way now that they've introduced the character and shown how the governor wormed his way in and got her (and others) on his side.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And one more thing...

They seem to be on a tear in this season to have one lingeringly featured gross-out per episode - of which I approve. The special effects are top notch and, ahem, rather stay with you after the credits roll. Kudos.

But this week, the latex and Karo-syrup guys set up the Governor to tear out a walker's throat with his bare hands. The oog was up to par, so no complaints there. But there was a logic fail. Pulling out the zombie's voice box may have made it a little quieter in the pit, but it wouldn't go very far in the way of neutralizing the threat of the thing. And at least when it's groaning, you can hear it struggling up off the ground to have a nibble at your whatever.

I don't understand why they did that.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had no problem with the latest WD episode. It kind of reminded me of what it's like reading a novel when the author jumps around--one chapter deals with a certain character or 2, the next chapter deals with an entirely different character or set of characters.

I'll just look forward to the next chapter about Rick and company.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
The episode actually reminded me of part of the book The Rise of the Governor. There's a part where....

The Gov, pre-gov and his older brother and friend find three people living in a city. A father who has cancer and his two daughters. There was no little girl. But the father did die and come back. Of course, then it was a surprise to everyone.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
The love and admiration of a little girl makes the Gov'nor changed man!

Um, apparently.

Did anyone else find similarities between the old man and his two daughters -- one who's friendlier and one who's on guard with everyone -- in their home and Herschel, Beth, and Maggie? Or maybe that was just me.

Yeah, I wasn't very interested in this episode. Anticlimactic, the governor's return.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
The love and admiration of a little girl makes the Gov'nor changed man!

Um, apparently.

Did anyone else find similarities between the old man and his two daughters -- one who's friendlier and one who's on guard with everyone -- in their home and Herschel, Beth, and Maggie? Or maybe that was just me.

Yeah, I wasn't very interested in this episode. Anticlimactic, the governor's return.

Like the book I mentioned.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Excellent episode. (Odd what bores some and not others.) The opening, with the Governor burning down Woodbury and wandering like a ghost, was worth rewatching. (They sure pick some good songs on this show.)

It occurs to me that our intrepid band of main characters are sort of a roving disaster. Everything they touch goes to hell. The CDC facility (aka the Cobb Energy Center, home to opera and top-notch comedy draws) blown to pieces; Hershel's happy farm laid to waste and most of his family dead; all the surviving prisoners no longer surviving; all (far as I can see) of the surviving Woodbury adults dead; Woodbury itself burnt and left to the biters.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It occurs to me that our intrepid band of main characters are sort of a roving disaster. Everything they touch goes to hell. The CDC facility (aka the Cobb Energy Center, home to opera and top-notch comedy draws) blown to pieces; Hershel's happy farm laid to waste and most of his family dead; all the surviving prisoners no longer surviving; all (far as I can see) of the surviving Woodbury adults dead; Woodbury itself burnt and left to the biters.

CDC would have gone kablooey anyway. That walker herd wasn't drawn to the farm because of Rick and the gang, so one could argue that they'd all be dead if not for them. As far as Woodbury, you have to think that eventually the Gov. would have gone bat crap crazy on his own.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Sunday's episode! I was feeling lonely lol. I love things that set up dynamics like that, and I loved/hated the writers because they made me feel sorry for him. That's a phrase I never thought I'd say. ;) I'm kind of hoping that he's taking them to the prison to be safe, which would make for all kinds of cool, but from what I can see, the writers are not bowing to my whims. :rant: When it opened with him, I wasn't too pleased, but I really enjoyed the way they set it up.