Who's your Baddie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
The constant struggle between what's right and wrong moves your book. Fueling your Protagonists quest for answers, love or conquest.
Isn't your Bad guy's story just as interesting? They want and strive for something too.

In 50 words or less write the Point of view of your Antagonist. Sell you book as though they/it are the hero. What makes them tick? What do they want?
Who's your Baddie?

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
Reminder

Remember to put the title of the book and where we can find it. Finished or not.

[Mod Note: If you do not wish to put your title in the post, that's okay.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
You know...I rarely write stories with "baddies". I like internal struggle, man vs. nature, or questioning morals. Or my favorite: a bad guy who turns out to be something else by the end. I even have a story where the protag turns into the bad guy by the end of the book, and the demon he was fighting actually came to give the church a gift. They start out typical "good guy" "bad guy" but things go haywire and end up anything but.

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
that's still a good twist. I never said it HAD to be a person. It can be the storm that washes people away, the Nazi party or a Bengal tiger. Just sell your story from one of your antagonist's points of view.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
oh, I see what you're saying. I misunderstood. I'll give this a shot:

King Talin's wife perished before her time nearly three years ago. He has yet to take a new wife, although the nobles and royals are sending their daughters for consideration by the thousands. Three years have elapsed, and the kingdom is puzzled as to why the king is delaying so long in taking a new queen. Everyone expect for his royal adviser. In a meeting in the middle of the night, King Talin admits a dark secret to his adviser; Something is haunting me. As is his duty, the adviser gives him advice. Destroy the thing that's haunting you.

And so, the king hires his personal assassin, Adel to go forth into the kingdom in search for a ghost.

---

lol that was really messy and unclear, but fun to write. This is a cool challenge, I may do this more often with my characters.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
^Blinkk - I think you just wrote your query - I wanna read that book!

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
There is kind of a baddie in the one I am working on now. Let's see...

It was the only home she had ever known, but they didn't want Phenra there anymore. She wanted too much, strove too hard, didn't play well with others. She didn't fit in the pantheon anymore. But without the power to create a world of her own, she has only one option. There are hundreds of worlds out there that she could run better than their current gods. She just needs to find the right one to liberate.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Kelon, the Duke of Aashe, had had plenty of time to brood. Deceived by the handsomest of mages, trapped in the Iron Tower like a lark's tongue in aspic, he's had 300 years to plan his revenge. At last an heir of the magician who so long ago deceived him will be driven to the Iron Tower and the Duke can use the the family's magic against her and free himself. There's no way, after 300 years of magical ignorance, that she can be as clever as her ancestor.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
15 years ago, Bakwerel, commander of the pharaoh's guard, lost his son to the tenth plague before becoming the sole survivor of the Red Sea disaster. Now he's supreme commander of the armies, and having rebuilt Egypt's devastated forces, he wants his vengeance. But to do it he may have to disempower the state cult, dispose of a pharaoh, and take on an empire that is waiting to send Egypt back to the stone age. Is it worth all that to wipe Moses and his exiles from the face of the earth? An eye for an eye.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
The baddie in my WIP is just passing time, the old bastard. It might go something like ...

They all rage against it. Everyone one of them, throwing themselves against the inevitability of Time. Ernest Pearce is just the latest in that long line, and Time can barely muster the energy to throw up its hands. But Ernest is different. Instead of fighting Time, he goes with its currents. He must have known, surely, to look for it there -- the beauty of infinity. And if he's half as determined as he seems, he might even find it.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Pffft. Like it’s my fault. So he doesn’t know anything about being a prince or settling into Court life. I mean, he’s been off fighting a war for the past six years--shouldn’t that count for something? But no--they all whisper about how he wears the wrong clothes and says the wrong things and pisses people off when he should be making friends. And they all blame me. Whatever. I’m Prince Chessman’s youth and inexperience--want to go have a drink?

Randy Lee

knew the job was dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
Over the centuries, one of our world has behaved suspiciously. He may be trying to give help to other worlds in violation of our law. Unfortunately, he is a senior member of our clan. So my brother and I have to keep our eye on him and stop him if he's actually interfering in other worlds.

Non-interference is among our most sacred doctrines. A world cannot truly progress as it should if outside forces interfere.

Our great great uncle Lari may be headed to Earth to give powers to the inhabitants that would help them to fight a threat that is very likely to nearly destroy their world. It will be up to my brother and me to stop him, and to reverse any interference he may engage in. May we prevail, and allow Earth to work out its tenuous chance to survive on its own.

Name of the novel: A Flying Boy

Last edited:

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
There is kind of a baddie in the one I am working on now. Let's see...

It was the only home she had ever known, but they didn't want Phenra there anymore. She wanted too much, strove too hard, didn't play well with others. She didn't fit in the pantheon anymore. But without the power to create a world of her own, she has only one option. There are hundreds of worlds out there that she could run better than their current gods. She just needs to find the right one to liberate.

Definitely sinister....remember to post the title of the book so we can look for it.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
HEL Godsmacked

He didn't really have an issue with the world. He liked it. But the only way to get to the man that ruined his life was to unleash Hell on earth. His only concern was hoping the Reaper would find time in his busy schedule to kill the man.
Because if the Reaper didn't, then Jake was probably going to regret killing everyone.

CharlieLyons

Registered
Reaction score
Safeguard

Richard Gibson was devastated and enraged when he found out his younger brother, Jared, was killed by some smut-peddling woman and her do-gooder boyfriend. Jared had just been confused, and his obsession was perfectly normal; he'd just wanted to get close to the girl.
After the cops don't arrest the couple that killed his brother, Richard makes it his mission to bring them down permanently. While planning his revenge, he watches his prey, making them dance to his tune. No one else cares that Jared's life was cut short, so Richard is just going to have to get revenge himself.

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
Safeguard

Richard Gibson was devastated and enraged when he found out his younger brother, Jared, was killed by some smut-peddling woman and her do-gooder boyfriend. Jared had just been confused, and his obsession was perfectly normal; he'd just wanted to get close to the girl.
After the cops don't arrest the couple that killed his brother, Richard makes it his mission to bring them down permanently. While planning his revenge, he watches his prey, making them dance to his tune. No one else cares that Jared's life was cut short, so Richard is just going to have to get revenge himself.

I'm not sure who the bad guy is in that scenario but that would actually make me want to read more. Good job!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lightweaver (just finished the first draft today)

Firelord Atarin wants one thing for his people: an end to their oppression and persecution at the hands of Lightweavers. He'll stop at nothing to get it, even if that means freeing a possibly deranged god from his six-hundred-year prison. A possibly deranged god who nearly destroyed their world's sun the last time he was free.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever had a candy that was delicious and was never told the name or where you could get more of that candy?
If you don't want to share the name or link sure go ahead but If someone finds your little tease of a book profoundly interesting are you really going to deny them a name and where they can get more?
Even if it's not published or even close, some names stick with you and in a year when scrolling through Amazon that title pops up...Who gets that sale?

It's great that you're interested, but you have to accept that some people just don't want to put more of their work out there. They're very happy just sharing snippets and talking about it, but don't want people to read more. And you have to respect that.

I won't be putting any more of my WIP online because it's under contract, and it won't be available until it's published. I don't even know if the title will remain the same, so that wouldn't help even if you did like the idea of it, and even if you did happen to come across it on Amazon one day.

All I'm saying is... enthusiasm is great, but respect people's right to keep their work to themselves. If they don't put a link or a title, there's probably a reason for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
The Shadows of Genesis

Administrator Graph is the only man on Terra who can save it.

Beset on all sides by ignorance and instability, his steady hand seeks to guide the Administration through the troubles that befall it. Rebel factions seek to cast him out, unaware of the desperate alliances he maintains to keep the planet hidden from galactic war. And as the Progenitor launches, his ultimate tool in the quest for Terran independence, playing the Demon sovereigns against each other is proving more difficult with each passing hour.

For seven hundred years Graph has built toward this moment. Nobody, no Demon, no Angel, no Human, will stop him now.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I have a baddy. I might ever have baddies.
I don't know who they are, though. One of my MCs, the more (hopefully) sympathetic and conflict ridden of the two, started off as an antagonist; a supporting character has turned into a baddy, but he's fluctuated between being sympathetic and the worst person to have ever lived (literally hyperbole); the character which filled in the role of antagonist after my MCs bailed on is edging toward villain-protagonist-that's-not-the-protagonist.

I also can't do a synopsis because the plot is shifting around like a hosepipe lying on the ground, spraying water all of the place.

Nyeh, þetta reddast.

hvysmker

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give it a try.

An itinerant street preacher wins a lottery and uses the money to jumpstart his new religion. He's helped by a female leader of an outlaw motorcycle gang and an ex-crack whore. The baddy is a network reporter trying to enhance her career by proving his religion a fraud. She's constantly putting the new Messiah onto network talk shows, but he always perseveres. She finally kills the Messiah's wife and dies in the process.

Charlie Thrun - hvysmker

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...w+Order++Thrun&rh=n:283155,k:New+Order++Thrun

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
Very cool exercise... I enjoyed framing my conflict in this way.

The shadows of Dreadnaughts haunt the future. His people must be prepared. To be vigilant, they must fear their barbarous enemy. To united, they must believe in the virtuous Empire. He knows the stories that must be forgotten. He knows the books that must be burned. The Empire must never learn what happened on Vasudeva.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Just 50 words was hard. :(

A necromancer is walking the land for the first time in more than 150 years. Cural knows that for the realm to be at peace – and for him to finally earn a council seat– she must be stopped before she can become a scourge like those who went before her.

Status
Not open for further replies.