Supernatural (Warning: Spoilers)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
This one hurt a bit.

Dean finally acknowledges something good about himself ("I'm proud of us") only hours later to turn into something he hates. And he was able to recognize he was turning into something he didn't want to be and actually try to fight it, unlike Sam in the earlier seasons.

It also hurts that they got Metatron without the Mark, even though Dean's initial reasoning for taking on the Mark was for Abaddon.

I'm glad this turn of events brings the threat home, so to speak. The angels, Abaddon, Leviathans etc. all felt like they weren't actually tied into the boys and there wasn't much reason to care.

This will actually force Sam to act like a hunter again and it's redeemed Crowley's purpose, too. (Sheppard is back next season.) Is it just me or did Crowley almost seem to regret the turn of events?

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Good news for Crowley fans:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/supernatural/supernatural-promotes-mark-she-53689.aspx

So the King of Hell might just make it to the end of the season, at least. As I recall, Bela and Blonde Ruby (can't recall the actress's names) were series regulars too, and they didn't last very long. But then, they were women, and this is Supernatural.

Y'know, they should forget about doing a spinoff and just go after the rights to adapt Good Omens, and star Mark and Misha. Or Mark and Mark Pellegrino.

ETA: Lauren Cohan and Katie Cassidy. Thank you, caffeine-fueled brain!

Last edited:

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Wonder how long they'll keep Dean this way? Part of me is intrigued and am excited at the possibilities. Part of me is nervous. I wouldn't want them to take this too far. If/when Dean is fixed, I don'y want to go back to the tremendous guilt.

Perfect world would be for Sam and Cas to win Dean back with a mix of love and the demon-curing ritual. If Cain could be tamed with love, why not Dean?

It's what he's been searching for forever, especially from Sam.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
You know what I really loved? How Crowley looked right at the camera when he said the line about how making a deal to save a Winchester has all been done before.

TJCory

Scruffy Looking Scoundrel
Registered
Reaction score
Great twist at the end! I'm thinking that they don't leave Dean that way for more than 3-4 episodes, tops. Sam and Cas are going to be running around like a couple of chickens with their heads cut off trying to figure out how to save him and Crowley will love it. But I just don't see them keeping "Demon Dean" for very long.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
That ending was so not cool. Dean becoming the thing he was most scared of becoming...

Besides, he has such beautiful green eyes! ;)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
You have to admit it's interesting though. Dying and coming back to life, going to hell and back, Cas saving them, and purgatory have all been done. Short of him just dying and becoming a ghost (which, of course, has been done with Bobby, Kevin, etc.) there were very few options left that would've been surprising. Of course him coming back as a zombie would've been interesting, too, but no one would've been happy with a decaying Dean stumbling about, he's too fine for that. :D

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There's a direction they could go in that would necessitate Dean remaining a demon until at least the end of the season. Yes, I'm about to flex my speculation muscle again.

I'm thinking more about Cas. His stolen grace is running close to empty right now. He can't give up and die because Misha's a regular. He may take another angel's grace, but that's only a temporary measure.

Sooner or later it's going to occur to him that if an angel's grace powers him up for weeks, an archangel's could rev his engine for years, maybe even decades. There are only two archangels left, and Cas knows where they are.

So, while Crowley's back is turned, Mr. Misguided slips into Hell and pops Michael and Lucifer out of the cage. Of course, he only meant to free Mike, so he could steal his grace, but you know Luci. And of course Mike would overpower him, because it's early in the season and he's Michael.

Now you've got two PO'd archangels on the loose, at war with everybody, including each other. That sounds like enough plot to keep a season going. And we might get Mark Pellegrino back! Who's going to argue with that?

It's also an excellent reason to keep Dean a demon, assuming the First Blade is the only thing that can kill Lucifer. They can hold that epic smackdown around Episode 20. (I'd love to see Death show up to personally reap the loser. This is likely to be the last season; let's pile it on!)

After the archangels are defeated, THEN Sam can use the demon cure to fix Dean, which will probably close the gates of Hell and end the series on a high note. Cas can steal Michael's grace around season midpoint, or else find another cure.

And then, in the last episode, Chuck shows up. And Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Might as well pull out all the stops.

I have no idea what's actually going to happen next season. This is just what I'd like to see. I should go back to plotting my own stories now.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Cas has made enough questionable decisions in the past that I could see this happening.

One thing that I think is very interesting about the change of events is we've never seen these guys evil before. Sure, Sam's been possessed a couple of times and Dean did some bad stuff in Hell, but demon possession was always very, very clear that is it not the person doing those things, or even a reflection of those people doing bad things.

Even our villains of late have not been that evil--Crowley, for one. Lucifer was a bad dude but even he and the other angels had their motivations.

This is not a demon possession. Dean is straight up evil. I do hope they play it in a scary-evil way and not the softie way that Crowley now is. And to think, the remaining links to his humanity? Sam and Cas.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Cas has made enough questionable decisions in the past that I could see this happening.

One thing that I think is very interesting about the change of events is we've never seen these guys evil before. Sure, Sam's been possessed a couple of times and Dean did some bad stuff in Hell, but demon possession was always very, very clear that is it not the person doing those things, or even a reflection of those people doing bad things.

Even our villains of late have not been that evil--Crowley, for one. Lucifer was a bad dude but even he and the other angels had their motivations.

This is not a demon possession. Dean is straight up evil. I do hope they play it in a scary-evil way and not the softie way that Crowley now is. And to think, the remaining links to his humanity? Sam and Cas.

Yes, but Cain was a person turned demon and he eventually went soft because he fell in love. So I can see Dean as straight up evil, but reachable.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Only somewhat relevant, but actors of minor characters are showing up in weirdly interesting things.

I have no idea what this is or how I watch it.

This, however, is coming to ABC.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mods, feel free to delete this if it's inappropriate. I just sold a menage to an erotic romance publisher. Why am I announcing it here? Because this is the one that was inspired by those beefcake/publicity photos for Supernatural Season 9. I saw that shot of Sam in a cage and had to write a story about it (the shot of Dean in a cage is what turned it into a menage).

This is my third book "starring" Jared and Jensen as the heroes. I may have to start sending them a cut of my royalties.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Pterofan, nice theory for the next series! I'd love to see that happen. And I'll definitely need to check out your work when I'm not, erm, at work... *resists urge to click the links*

Is it just me or did Crowley almost seem to regret the turn of events?

Dunno. I think Crowley enjoys it all. After all, he has Dean Winchester as his right hand now. Sam and Cas are going to have to grow a few extra pairs.

I definitely got the feeling Crowley felt guilt, if not regret -- he did what was needed to serve his own needs, but he doesn't exactly feel great about what lies ahead.

We've been seeing a creeping humanisation of Crowley, from comedic baddie to a more layered character. I'm hoping for more of this in the next season, though I'd also like to see him balance out his new humanity and demon nature for a 'human' ruthlessness and pride in his work. I just don't want to see him de-fanged too much.

Besides, he has such beautiful green eyes! ;)

On the bright side, demons don't have constant demon-eyes so we'll still see some of those pretty greens. :D

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Pterofan for President! I hereby relinquish any hope for the Cage and throw my full support behind Pterofan's theory. :D

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Pterofan, I like everything you just said. Supernatural writers, make it so! Oh, and I think I need to check out your stories.

On the bright side, demons don't have constant demon-eyes so we'll still see some of those pretty greens. :D

True. I feel better.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't want to be President. Too stressful. I want to be Stephen King and put all my neuroses on paper and make a mint doing so.

The upside of speculating this early is that when Season 10 starts and nothing goes as I predicted, it won't matter because everybody will have forgotten by then and I'll be off the hook. Heh heh.

Something else just occurred to me. If Lucifer got out of the cage, could he automatically re-possess Sam? Would Sam have to say "yes" again, or would that "yes" he gave back in Season 5 serve as an all-time blanket admission? I just got thinking about how a possible Demon Dean/Lucifer battle to the death would play out if Luci was in Sam's meat suit. Now my head hurts again.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I hope Chuck shows up in the final season... I'd really love to know wtf God has been doing through all of this. Even if it is just for him to say, "I'm sorry, I didn't know I was God." or "I was trapped inside of a human body." like in Dogma.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Something else just occurred to me. If Lucifer got out of the cage, could he automatically re-possess Sam? Would Sam have to say "yes" again, or would that "yes" he gave back in Season 5 serve as an all-time blanket admission? I just got thinking about how a possible Demon Dean/Lucifer battle to the death would play out if Luci was in Sam's meat suit. Now my head hurts again.

Seeing as Sam managed to eject Gadreel permanently, even though it would have been quite handy for Gaddy to be able to swish in and out as he pleased, I don't think it works that way. I think once the angel is out, the host can say no, and Feathers will need permission to get back in. Although... speaking of Gadreel, did his host say yes again when he was ejected from Sam? I can't remember. I guess you could argue he never explicitly said No either.

But that seems like the kind of rule the writers are quite happy to bend as the mood takes them.
Thinking about the emotional angles of the characters is still fun, but I've kind of given up trying to make real sense of the mythology. They follow the Rule of Cool and variations a bit too closely for my liking.

WARNING: The link above will send you to TVTropes. More pleasant than Hell, or Purgatory, but the Winchesters are unlikely to rush to your rescue lest they be trapped themselves.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I think Cas had to convince his host to let him posess him again, too, to save his daughter.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Now that I think about it, Gadreel's first vessel did say yes the second time, after Sam cast Gadreel out. And Jimmy practically ordered Cas to take him instead of Claire.

So Sam would be safe from Lucifer. So who would Luci take as a vessel? Resurrect Nick/Mark Pellegrino?

Or Jessica?

Talk about playing with Sam's head ...