tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I knock on wood every time I feel like I've jinxed myself ("Looks like it's going to be sunny all day!").

I also say "I hate rabbits" when I'm sitting around a campfire and the smoke is blowing in my direction. Seems to work most of the time (or at least I see it that way). :D

Ooh! Me, too. Only on the second one, I sing about why bears don't want to eat me when I'm out hiking. And I do it while wearing my tshirt that says "the only thing to fear is fear itself. And bears"

Dauphyn

Registered
Reaction score
That one (probably embarrassing) song that you feel compelled to sing whenever you hear it, regardless of where you are. You know the one. You know all the lyrics. You may even dance along as you are singing.

What is it? (Or what are they, if more than one?)

Right now, I'd have to say Let it Go from the Frozen soundtrack. Every time it comes on the radio (and it seems to all the time), I just want to sing along and do the motions, but I imagine that wouldn't fly too well at work...

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
That one (probably embarrassing) song that you feel compelled to sing whenever you hear it, regardless of where you are. You know the one. You know all the lyrics. You may even dance along as you are singing.

Toxic by Britney Spears...it just wont stop....when my wife found I had downloaded it off iTunes she was laughing all day and then told EVERYONE about it.

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
What is your superstition? (It's perfectly fine to have more than one, but if you've got a whole long list pick the strangest one, or the one that's strongest for you.)

OK first of all I love cats, I have had them all my life but there is still something inside me that goes crazy whenever a black cat runs across my path/car/bike whatever.

I will stop and wait for the next person to come along and "take the bad luck"....yah i know, messed up. I dont have any other superstitions that stuck, but that one did.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score

For me, it's Hotel California by The Eagles, and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. And Tom Sawyer by Rush. Whenever I hear them, I crank up the volume and sing at the top of my voice.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK first of all I love cats, I have had them all my life but there is still something inside me that goes crazy whenever a black cat runs across my path/car/bike whatever.

Do not come to my house.

Or travel back in time to my childhood home. We had four. All black.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
THIS. IS. THE QUESTION!!!

Bringing it forward, because no matter what the first post says, this is this week's question:

What is your superstition? (It's perfectly fine to have more than one, but if you've got a whole long list pick the strangest one, or the one that's strongest for you.)

Incidentally, I'm not saying the title in just a cape and loincloth. So not a look that works for me.

Ken Horn

I drank what?
Registered
Reaction score
To Be With You by Mr. Big

can't not belt that

"Hold on little girl
Show me what he's doone to you
Stand up little girl
A broken heart can't be that bad
When it's through, it's through
Fate will twist the both of you
So come on baby come on over
Let me be the one to show you"

currently on an 80's an 90's kick after reading Ready Player One an feeling all nestalgic

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW: Bigger, Stronger, More Questionier

If you were going to use a beverage as a metaphor for your life, what would it be? And why? (Please note, "margarita" and all references to a certain Jimmy Buffet song are off limits. You can be more creative than that.)

:Coffee:

Last edited:

j p lundstrom

Professional Nice Person Gone Bad
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I worry about ghosts. Every time I hear a creak in my old house, I imagine there's one keeping his eye on me. Been that way since I was a kid. Second, I have been singing Besame mucho and Solamente una vez lately, because they put me in the right frame of mind for my current story. And last, I'll have to go with Sheldon Cooper's virgin Cuba Libre, only I prefer diet Pepsi. So sue me.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
If you were going to use a beverage as a metaphor for your life, what would it be? And why? (Please note, "margarita" and all references to a certain Jimmy Buffet song are off limits. You can be more creative than that.)

That would assume a greater knowledge of beverages than I posses... that said, I would say mine would be Port Wine.

For one, we come from the same country and share the same mix of English and Portuguese heritage. Second, it's a drink to be had in the company of friends, savoring the simple pleasures of life over laughter and shared stories. Third, it gets better with age. :D And lastly, there are different varieties, from Ruby to Tawny to White Port (which I only tried once and it was absolutely amazing), which serves nicely as a metaphor to the different roles I play in life: mother, friend, lover. :)

Kuranes

Registered
Reaction score

I'm like a stout beer. A little mysterious, and possibly a little intimidating, without a broad appeal. At first taste I can seem a little bitter, but after a while the nuances become apparent, and I become easier to enjoy. And the more time you spend with me, the higher the probability of fun. :D

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is definitely coffee. For those who are religiously inclined, I think God (substitute gods or goddesses here to suit personal preference) was in a really great mood when he made coffee and chocolate. And he must have been in a really lousy mood when he made ticks and mosquitoes. So we should be nice to each other and not piss God off, and then maybe we'll get more things like coffee and chocolate.

Sadly, no major religion is willing to sign off on my theology.

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
Do not come to my house.

Or travel back in time to my childhood home. We had four. All black.

Oddly enough, if its a house cat I dont mind, its those random running black cats in the middle of the night that creep me out. Why did that cat pick that exact time to spring in front of me, is he/she messing with me? (I am convinced cats purposely mess with us)

I once had a large raven (beautiful yes but wtf?) fly down and land on the same picnic table I was on, I nearly shat my pants- then gave the bird my cookie. :)

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
That would assume a greater knowledge of beverages than I posses... that said, I would say mine would be Port Wine.

Oh, port, by all means. To me, port is the apotheosis of wine. A glass of vintage port is almost orchestral in its complexity, and between the bouquet and the finish, there is such a panoply of colors, of tonal textures.

And anyway, sherry makes me fart.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Limade - slightly tart, yet different; worth the hard work

No, surprisingly, not coffee. Plot twist!

Speaking of twists, I'd use limade as my personal metaphor. It's the slightly odd, lesser known cousin of lemonade, and just unusual enough to make things interesting. Explains how I can be found both hiding in the bowels of the library or out dive-bombing the ground with my fighter kite, perhaps. It's also a product of hard work and tastes all the sweeter for it. I find this holds true for my own "roll up the sleeves and keep at it until the job is done" work ethic. I get satisfaction out of knowing I've accomplished something and seeing the tangible results of my efforts, even if it's just in someone's smile. And it's tart enough to make you blink, like my tendency towards sarcastic humor.

And it's green. As a wise frog once said, "it's good to be green."

Aphrodite

Helium Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Metaphoric Beverage For Ya

As to a beverage, I would have to bend the definition slightly.

I consume stoatin' huge volumes of coffee in the course of any considerable time. But, this would not be the metaphor for my life. It is simply one of the necessities, along with air, sunlight, wholesome foods, and sleep.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

The metaphor is had by that simple yet potentially dangerous tea commonly called Mugwort Tea. The tea is flavorful and calming, and creates visions in dreams. My life contains all of these and more. Danger, calm, and flavor are all in my life. Some have said I am spicy, others have said I am sweet. I know I live with gusto. As to visions, well, there are visions in my life. They often end up as pixels, in text, and sometimes, ink on paper. Sometimes they take life in the subtle and, for the most part, unseen latencies that form filmed or video entertainment. Though rarely given to vision, overall, those, as the words in text do also, create mood, idea and feeling in whoever views or reads them. So, like mugwort tea, some of my life draws out visions in the minds of others.

NOT TO BE TAKEN INTERNALLY. SERIOUSLY, PROFESSIONAL DRIVER ON A CLOSED COURSE. FILLING MAY BE HOT. MUGWORT IS A KIND OF ARTEMISIA, WHICH CONTAINS THUJONE. THUJONE MAY CAUSE DAIN BRAMAGE. AUTHOR REJECTS ALL CLAIMS FOR INDEMNIFICATION.

Last edited:

Jane Berry

Registered
Reaction score

Mine is horchata. Sweet (sometimes overly so) with a little kick of spice. I know the long way to get to the end product (soaking and blending rice), but I often choose the shortcut (buying rice milk).