Status
Not open for further replies.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I had to laugh today. I got some comments back from a friend who was reading MS4, and the first thing he said was that I used so many em-dashes. And this is after I had already purposely pared down! Ha, I do love me some em-dashes, but! Time to go!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It's ellipses with me. Most people don't even notice them, but occasionally a reader CP will say I overuse them.

I think it's just my style.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I love them all: em dashes, ellipses, semicolons. And my recent fling: colons.

Feel free to avert your eyes, Antonin, for a sports comment is coming for my Vancouver friends. Yes, I watched the end of the Caps/Panthers game decided by the record-setting, 20-round shoot-off. Which DC lost, of course--to Luongo, in goal.

QueenofLALALand

ignoring the odds
Registered
Reaction score
I use italics like it's my job. Anything that's a direct thought in my MC's mind, or her reference to an earlier experience goes in italicized. It's my style, but I'll probably have to cut out a lot of it.

I also find myself using the words even, just, back, and mind a lot. I just can't even help myself. No going back. It's the way my mind's wired. :D

:Hug2: for the R's.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was supposed to co-host a cookie exchange last night and I ended up skipping out on my own party bc 5yo was running a fever and Husband was sick in bed. Doin' the Christmas season like a true introvert this year, I guess -- on the couch with a cup of tea and a book.

Eliza - I know what you mean about personalization feeling stalkerish. "You said once on twitter two years ago that you like this TV show and my MS has some of the same elements" :p

JJ - Yeah, but I think the amount of research is different. If you're trying to personalize, you often really have to dig deep to find some connecting point.

krash - WOOOO for a first draft!! Is this a sequel/series one, or a new project?

Carleree - Rs on fulls are really painful. :hugs:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I use italics like it's my job. Anything that's a direct thought in my MC's mind, or her reference to an earlier experience goes in italicized. It's my style, but I'll probably have to cut out a lot of it.

I also find myself using the words even, just, back, and mind a lot. I just can't even help myself. No going back. It's the way my mind's wired. :D

:Hug2: for the R's.

Oh, mind you, I really just like italics, even if I overdo them.

I hope we're still talking punctuation here!

Well, I am. You are the one with poop in your avatar :tongue

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the hugs. And the treats. And the wine.

To quote the offending agent: "I greatly admire your determination but your novel misses on many levels."

And now you know why I needed the treats and wine and hugs.
icon12.gif

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score

To quote the offending agent: "I greatly admire your determination but your novel misses on many levels."

icon12.gif

Allofthe hugs and treats and wine :Hug2: that doesn't sound like productive criticism at all

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. I much prefer when they recognize that taste is subjective. You were a PW mentee, for goddess' sake. Your novel couldn't miss on many levels.

Have some chocolate, too. :Hug2:

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
I have a book of bad classical music reviews that I look at from time to time for comfort.

Here's one of my favorites:

“Beethoven’s Second Symphony is a crass monster, a hideously writhing wounded dragon, that refuses to expire, and though bleeding in the Finale, furiously beats about with its tail erect.”
—Zeitung für die Elegente Welt, Vienna, May 1804

People can be wrong. Write on!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score

That hurt me just from reading it.

On the bright side, do you really want such an insensitive agent? I mean, if it missed, then either detail where the problems lie, or send a polite form rejection.

Words like that make me wonder who pissed in her egg nog spiced latte that morning.

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score

icon12.gif

WOW. That just seems unnecessarily harsh. Did the agent detail what those many levels are? Because if not, there is nothing productive you can take away from that. :( So sorry. Treats, wine, and hugs from me too!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
As far as people being wrong about good books... this

Or read this for a highly educational shredding of a famous (in his time) author by Mark Twain.

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/rissetto/offense.html

At once it's very funny, informative, and a downright nasty takedown of another author's body of work.

The summary at the end where Twain complains that a critic once called Deerslayer a work of art.

"A work of art? It has no invention; it has no order, system, sequence, or result; it has no lifelikeness, no thrill, no stir, no seeming of reality; its characters are confusedly drawn, and by their acts and words they prove that they are not the sort of people the author claims that they are; its humor is pathetic; its pathos is funny; its conversations are -- oh! indescribable; its love-scenes odious; its English a crime against the language.

Counting these out, what is left is Art. I think we must all admit that."

Last edited:

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score

icon12.gif

Geez, that is awful feedback. Did they at least give you an idea of what they meant?

As others have mentioned, it's probably good you didn't end up with that agent; it would be worse if such issues arose in the future.

Last edited:

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Wendy, it's the book version of the kidlit flash fiction piece.

Carleree, one day someone will ask you what your worst rejection was and you'll be able to laugh about it, then head off to your book signing.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Shandy summed up exactly what I thought—unnecessarily harsh. There's no need to get nasty about it.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Gawd, Carly, that's an awful R. But he was right about one thing: your determination is strong and will bring you through.

I'm getting nothing done except making cookie dough. One is really not supposed to eat that stuff, right? Um . . . .

(the use of ellipses is for DJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.