A new trade-publishing focused podcast, by authors for authors, featuring former/current AW members

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Heya. My apologies if this isn't allowed, but I wanted to let folks know that I've started a podcast with a fellow Tor author, Scott Drakeford. We are not doing this for money, or to build platform, but to promote transparency and author empowerment in the industry. We talk advances, crates, lists, contracts, deal sizes, marketing, and all that good stuff, with a range of guests and interviews designed to offer many perspectives. We're only 5 episodes in but have a full year already planned out, with guests and topics confirmed.

Our concept is as follows;
Once upon a time, two authors debuted in the same genre, with the same publisher, in the same year. Yet each of their book launches, and subsequently each of their careers, went in very different directions. That pattern repeats itself throughout the industry, over and over. Why does this happen, and what does it mean?

In THE PUBLISHING RODEO podcast, we aim to answer those questions and many more, using collated experiences from ourselves, friends, colleagues, and a slew of industry professionals in an attempt to deconstruct what makes or breaks a book, along with how to build–and maintain!–an author career.

If that sounds interesting, you can find us here, or any platform where you normally get your podcast listens: https://rss.com/podcasts/publishingrodeo/

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
good luck. Sounds great.

What about your NDAs in regards to contracts, etc.?
I can't speak for the hosts, but back in 2015 my publishing contract included no NDA. In theory I could post the whole thing on the internet without fear of reprisals.

I'd have to look up my agency contract, but I'm pretty sure there was no NDA there, either.

So I think they're free to say whatever they wish on this show. :)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak for the hosts, but back in 2015 my publishing contract included no NDA. In theory I could post the whole thing on the internet without fear of reprisals.

I'd have to look up my agency contract, but I'm pretty sure there was no NDA there, either.

So I think they're free to say whatever they wish on this show. :)
I have several, but I haven't read them in a while and can't get excited enough to re-read them now. I have done all my discussion on money sub rosa, with people I knew had offers from the same companies. Other writers are great that way.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Ty folks! The response has been humbling in a good way

We have no ndas, no worry there! I asked about this when signing the contract a couple years ago, and tor said (though they did not sound enthused about the idea) that I was free to discuss such things if I wanted.

Tavia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Thank you so much, this podcast is fantastic! I’ve been recommending it to everyone I know who publishes (plus my mom, who doesn’t, she just lets me ramble about algorithms). One particular friend and I discuss the episodes every week like we’re at the water cooler talking about a shared TV show :)

Also I didn’t know anything about book boxes until I got picked for (a much smaller) one, so every time you’ve talked about that has been fascinating.

Reactions: Harlequin