Agents/Managers for new screenwriters.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A new member asked where to find a legit source for the movie-writer's agent-equivalent. I had absolutely nothing useful to say and I've done a bit of a search but I can't find a specific thread here. Is there a recent one I could direct them to? Does anyone have any info? Am I blind?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This may be wildly out of date, but back when I was a regular at a now-defunct board for screen and television writers (of which I was neither), the screenwriters there recommended buying the Hollywood Creative Directory. IIRC, it included managers and agents.

Maryn, whose friend from there has a new Christmas movie every year

BronzeRadio

Registered
Reaction score
I had an script agent until our contract expired in the first year of the pandemic and neither one of us tried to extend it. She reps for both stage and screen and while she's a very nice person and a successful agent we've never really had any success together, and that's okay.

I've heard that some people do get script agents by querying, but in my experience it seems like most script and stage agents get their clients through networking and in person interaction. I know a lot of agents go to workshops and things like Burning Man. I was "Discovered" at a fringe fest in Boston.

For what it's worth I still wasn't able to get a musical produced even with an agent. Its insanely difficult to get a movie or a stage play produced without some sort of exiting IP attached.

If you're interested this the story of how Hadestown, which is only the fourth time in Broadway's history at a woman wrote the music and book for a musical. It was super hard for her to get one of the most successful shows of recent years actually produced.

Reactions: mccardey