Book title advice?

teeheesrw

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's just me, but pretty much every story I plan to turn into a novel is currently titled "Untitled." I purposely leave it to the end since sometimes I'm not sure where the story will take me, but now that I've actually finished one story I still don't have a title. I'd love to hear how you guys created your titles, or any tips you may have for coming up with a good one!

Reactions: MJTennant

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are some of the themes in your book?

Reactions: Gramps

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of times my titles came from inspiration for the story itself: AFTRLYF was a misread license plate that inspired the story, A Paranormal Bromance literally came from an agent saying she wanted to see a paranormal bromance. Some are song inspiration: Taylor-Made, Fireflies, In a Pear Tree, & Trouble is a Friend of Mine were inspired by songs & use the song in the title.

I have a few that are just, like, imagery that fits the novel. Snow, Sparkling Like Stars is a space opera inspired by the movie White Christmas. You got your snow & your stars in space + celebrities, & the words came together (it’s used in a line in the book, but after the title was made). Hero/Villain was a book split between the superheroine & villain POVs, & its sequels followed the naming pattern.

The one I spent the most time naming was my Jack Frost book. For a long time it was Summer’s Cruel Warmth, Winter’s Gentle Chill, but it wasn’t resonating with readers (although one agent specifically mentioned loving it). After starting a thread in the brainstorming sandbox, I ended up with Sunkissed and Frostbitten, but I looked at all sorts of things. Now I can only remember that folks liked the idea of using something about the crocus that is part of the main characters’ history, but I couldn’t make it work for me. But the point of that is that some important moment from the book could lead to a title.

Play around with ideas & see if one resonates. If you get beta readers, they may have ideas for you too, or suggestions for narrowing down your ideas.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
There has been an interesting discussion going in the What's on Your Mind about Your Writing thread. The discussion is about how titles signal genre, like Harmony Hill might not indicate YA thriller without elements in the cover art.

Are there patterns in titles in your genre?

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
Do you plan to go trad or self (or neither)?

For trad, the publisher might change the title down the line, so it's mostly about picking something intriguing and memorable.

For self, your title is a marketing tool. You want to look at your comps' titles and see how they work so you can make something similar. For instance, epic fantasy often has titles evoking an external conflict. Thrillers have titles evoking an inner or interpersonal conflict. For my romantic/gothic fantasy, I changed the title from something that suggested epic (Thing and Thing) to a character-centered title, which is more appropriate for my subgenre.

You also want to consider your cover. A long title doesn't leave room for a huge illustration and is harder to work with visually. A short title might already exist; check the Kindle store.

Reactions: Woollybear

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
I often start with a title then come up with a story :p

I'd love to hear how you guys created your titles,

Famous last words there :p

HH (not to be confused with Jazz's Harmony Hill) is a great case-in-point -- decades ago, I came up with the title and then thought up a story.. but later massively changed the story, genre, etc, while keeping the title. The name refers to the central creature/mystery.

LH uses the same "H". Again, it focuses on the central figure/mystery. I might've come up with the title first, but I already had the idea for a major reveal prior to that and I *think* the villain was added after the fact.

HC also uses the "H". My original plan was for the title to refer to a series of mysterious events, but by the end it would take on a different meaning... but then I changed a few things so it's mostly just that other meaning. I think this title might've been a bit harder because it sequentially felt off and less distinct.

KC is a bit on the nose. Can't remember if I had the title first, but it alludes to the magic system, among other things.

HHH I had the title for relatively early, but I might've had other story elements first. It started wanting to write a horror novel and then deciding on a ghost story for that novel. Although I'd wanted to write the thing within a certain time-frame, I missed the target but it still wound up being my fastest draft (88k words in 19 days)

LV (or TLV) was a struggle. I had the idea back around the time of either HH or LH (along with the idea for KC). However, the idea started with the magic system and slowly grew from there. The placeholder name was V___ Saga (or Song?), but then I think Saga would work better for the series... which I probably won't ever finish because I hate that book.

SLS started its life as HG, which I'd thought would go from the singular HG for book 1 to a plural HG for the series, a la The Hunger Games. However, before posting the query here, I began to think about alternate names again (because the book was inspired by a premise/concept rather than a title) and settled on SLS, which both sounds more YA, kinda alludes to the concept, and -- perhaps best of all -- it has a "Seven" in the name while being the seventh novel I drafted. So a good name I was attached to became a far better name.

GD / D I had the idea then needed a name... and the names will likely change. The original was a pun, but it looks like a typo. The other thought is used by a much more famous author. The core name works in terms of conveying the concept, but... eh.

STMHB is an example where I had the idea years earlier but no name attached (and couldn't remember what I'd meant to call it). I'd been tempted to name it for the previous home from which the werewolf was banished -- which would be a fine name -- but it didn't suggest werewolf. Instead, I worked the title into the book at places, which gives it a somewhat upmarket feel... although the prose is less poetic.

FJ is one I've referred to as "X-Mas Slasher" or "XMS" (where the X is fitting since it was the tenth book overall). The concept is decades old and it wound up being aged down, among other changes. Another change is the title, which was going to be longer and refer to something the town crank would say, a quotation that became the club's slogan. Within the book itself, the teens goof marking a scene and the press seizes on it as the perpetrator's name, which is the name then associated to the serial killer... and I just went with that for the title.

Speaking of ten, jfc, have I only got through ten names so far?

RRWARB was something that I just liked the sound of. The idea for the setting was older, but I just had an idea for the setting and I liked a particular word that really embodied that setting. Then the title is an ominous-sounding reference to the central mystery around whether or not the titular character existed.

RDIAA the story was had years ago, with the set-up coming from a dream. The name was somewhat inspired by stuff like John Tucker Must Die where it references the character and describes what the character is like... as well as the amount of cursing in the book. However, it'll possibly be changed down the road.

MMCC / MP had the idea begin with a cartoon pig (and a concussion). Although it was always meant to involve a kids show and mascot costumes, the cartoon portion was going to played up. However, just CC because the name is used in other things, so I had the MC's name added to the front so it'd be MM *in* CC. But the cartoon element kinda got small so it needed a different name. I finally settled on the name of the fictional kid's show, which *sounds* like it could be a kid's show and there might be a dark undertone.

FGI the inspiration came a little before the name. Basically, I had the setting long before the story and the story wound up influencing both the world and setting. The title sounds magical and ominous, but it might not be a great fit for MG fantasy.

BB Worm has two names. One seen in QLH which makes sense as a standalone and the BB refers to the town for the other. Considering the story is based (loosely) on a legend, there was really nothing else that made sense... and yet it might wind up having "Worm" tweaked to something else.

MM was settled on because "Mazes & Monsters" was "taken" by a movie. So, being the clever cookie that I am, I thought "What about Mazes and Minotaurs?" but that, too, was taken (this time by a RPG system). As you've probably guessed, the name is inspired by D&D (which inspired both things that took the names I wanted). What you might not have realized is I wanted something I could potentially trademark and use for an actual game (for either merch or marketing). Anyway, the final name stayed within the ballpark but had to lose the "& / and"

TTHM is the first book I really struggled to title. I wound up asking for advice on the brainstorming board. Unfortunately, several titles I'd considered either had a book out by that (which, while not a deal-breaker, kinda showed the book's title was associated with other genres) or had logistical issues. However, it's about trees that eat people, so I kinda went with something that made it clear while somewhat referencing a campier horror movie.

CCC I went back and forth on. I'd wanted to do one with an evil circus, but during planning I came up with a central figure and built things around her. The name kinda sets expectations.

WWWRH was an example of having the name then coming up with the story. It's tied to RRWARB which *also* didn't really really have a story until around the time I named it, except this was just the setting. And it's a title I really, really love -- once that might inspire curiosity... although it's probably not closely aligned with the genre.

MMM! was really the first thing I could think of when naming this mannequin-themed horror story. Again, it kinda says what it is. Also, as you've probably guessed, I'm really into alliteration.

...alright, that's twenty down. Only a few more to go. Not going to do the short stories because this is already taking a minute.

LP refers to the titular location. Back when I was coming up with ideas for HHH, the idea of a horror story involving an old west theme park came to mind (possibly as a novella... or maybe I later thought of it for a short story?). This may or may not have been before seeing the stuff about Action Park, but the park's name was inspired by the nature of Action Park and its nicknames. However, if I just did the nickname, people would think I meant Action Park.

DH / DHSDH - It's literally about a girl who has recurring dreams about a house. In that sense, it's very much on the nose. However, it might need changing because it doesn't necessarily scream horror. (Meanwhile, nightmare would be both cliche and kinda inapt.)

For the last two, I'm just saying the damn name.

Mister Nobody was POSSIBLY an example of me having the name before the idea. The two were very close. This was supposed to be the second book in my YA anthology series (an hour that went to MMCC) but kept getting delayed because I was daunted by the large cast. In fact, I'm reasonably sure the idea goes back earlier than that, but it wasn't fleshed out. The story's poem was different and played on a pun between "nobody" and "no body." At any rate, the title refers to the antagonist. Although it's horror, the name doesn't strongly signal that.

The Way is my WIP, which right now just consists of a small amount of free writing to get an idea for the voice and a bunch of planning. It's the name for now and it's a good name. Within the book's context, it's tied into both the cult and the books the MC is reading. The alternate name -- which might be catchier -- involves two key elements from the story which have a stark contrast.

...and, in hindsight, I guess I could've just highlighted the YA ones. However, all but 6 are YA.

or any tips you may have for coming up with a good one!

Generally speaking, you'll want to look at your genre and prevailing trends.

A good title should:
-Signal genre and/or tone
-Be descriptive in some way
-Be memorable

As a general rule, titles imply promises. If somebody picks up a title that sounds like horror, they expect it's going to be horror. If they pick up something that sounds like a romance, they expect romance. For instance, if you hear "Silver Bullet," your first assumption is likely either werewolf or western. Blood Runs Cold? A thriller or horror set in a cold environment. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Something insanely quirky. A Cure for Wellness? Take a guess :p (Also, that's among my all-time favorite titles)

Personally, I'm also a fan of alliteration. It's a shortcut to making something a little more memorable and helping it stand out. Many great works of fiction have used it. However, if everything started doing it, then you'd blend in.

teeheesrw

Registered
Reaction score
Famous last words there
Holy flippin cow did not expect you to go into such a deep dive but was awesome to read your thought process on all those titles! It seems like you genuinely had fun coming up with them :)
Generally speaking, you'll want to look at your genre and prevailing trends.

A good title should:
-Signal genre and/or tone
-Be descriptive in some way
-Be memorable

As a general rule, titles imply promises.
These are great tips, thank you! I feel like I've just gotten a crash course on title generation xD

Reactions: Nether

teeheesrw

Registered
Reaction score
Do you plan to go trad or self (or neither)?

For trad, the publisher might change the title down the line, so it's mostly about picking something intriguing and memorable.

For self, your title is a marketing tool. You want to look at your comps' titles and see how they work so you can make something similar. For instance, epic fantasy often has titles evoking an external conflict. Thrillers have titles evoking an inner or interpersonal conflict. For my romantic/gothic fantasy, I changed the title from something that suggested epic (Thing and Thing) to a character-centered title, which is more appropriate for my subgenre.

You also want to consider your cover. A long title doesn't leave room for a huge illustration and is harder to work with visually. A short title might already exist; check the Kindle store.
I think I will try the traditional route for my first novel, so that is definitely a good tip to keep in mind about the publisher. I had no idea they had a say in the title.
Do publishers also have a say in choosing the cover art?

Reactions: Elenitsa

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I think I will try the traditional route for my first novel, so that is definitely a good tip to keep in mind about the publisher. I had no idea they had a say in the title.
They do.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score

From what I understand, they typically have most of the say. In fact, some higher-profile authors have complained about the cover art they were given. There was one author was very vocal about it not that long ago, and caught some heat because he'd inadvertently put down the artists.

Another example that springs to mind is how Brandon Sanderson kept petitioning to have the art changed for one of his books, where the sales improved almost immediately afterward (which I *think* was a foreign language release).

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
Yes, they choose the cover art. Whether they allow the writer to have a say depends on the publisher. Often, smaller publishers will take the writer's opinion into account, whereas big publishers not so much.

And that's even if you're a big name author. The reason is that picking the cover and what goes on it is a whole job, and most writers have no idea what makes a cover marketable.

They also decide what goes on the blurb.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

My own experience:

It was in my contract that the publisher made the ultimate decision about marketing issues. This included both the title and the cover art (and the blurbs, although I had heavy editorial input for those, and wrote the one for the third book myself).

I am terrible with titles, and didn’t mind the help there, although it wasn’t my publisher but my agent who helped me choose. The publisher went with the titles we subbed under. (The first two titles were not the originals; the third was all mine.)

The publisher definitely had a cover art direction in mind when they bought the books. I was unaware of this, and I will point out this is something you can and should ask about (as part of discussing the publisher’s marketing plan) before you sign a contract. I had objections to the direction, which I discussed with my agent; she convinced me I was worried for nothing (spoiler: I wasn’t), so I’m not sure the publisher ever knew I had an issue. I can’t say how they would have responded if they had.

BUT within the confines of their overall concept, I had quite a bit of input. I was able to choose cover models for the first two books, and had input on poses and finish work. As illustrations, the covers are lovely, although I think they misrepresent the books themselves significantly.

TL;DR: Yes, the publisher gets the ultimate say, but they want you to be happy and will likely listen to your ideas and concerns. And I daresay in most cases they know what they’re doing, and will come up with something compelling and appropriate.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I struggle with titles as well. I don't think I've written enough different pieces to get good at it yet. I've had a hard time titling short stories, and the novel I'm working on has had a working title for years which has kind of stuck as I've given it to beta readers and even discussed it with agents, but I don't think it's a very marketable title and I can't imagine it getting all the way through the trade-publication process with that title.

One agent suggested I work the word "lavender" into the title (because the book is partly about someone caught up in Lavender-Scare activities) and I have not been able to do that, as I find the connotations of the word are just not sitting right with me and my story. Unless someone recognizes that it's referring to Lavender Scare, the word carries all the wrong associations.

So, yeah, hard problem but also not one I'm going to worry about too much for the novel, as I'm sure agents and editors will have better ideas. For short stories, though, I have to get better at it. I have two short stories I haven't found homes for that are both (like my novel) set in 1950, and I'd love to give them titles that make that clear before you even start reading, as I think setting reader expectations might improve their chances. But they both have very bad titles at the moment; one of them I've even submitted (to different markets) under two different titles, while casting about for a good title. It's hard.

:e2coffee:

Reactions: lizmonster

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Sometimes the titles come to me at the beginning of the story - be it a short story or a novel. Other times, they come in the middle of writing or even at the end. The crew, The second shuttle boat, The wanderers of the seas, came first.
It was trickier for poems and short stories volumes, which had to be a title comprehensive enough for all the volume. These came towards the end, usually showing how the stories or the poems are split in several thematic parts: Roads and longings (poems, in 2 parts, one titled Roads and one Longings), Historical seasons (poems, the same way of thinking), The mercenary's fate and other destinies (short stories, again 2 parts).

Sometimes the title was comprehensive for the whole volume: Protected by mermaids (short stories), The rebels of the seas (short stories), On longing, on love, on death (short stories, with a poem as a motto titled like the book).

I changed only twice the title from the initial to the published one - for the first case, I needed a synonym of sorts, in substantive form, as it evolved from The sea is calling us (initial, uninspired, as written many years ago) to The charm of the sea. For the second case, the initial novella manuscript became, 20 years later, a collection of short stories related directly or indirectly among them, and it was normal to change the initial title from The chess game (which remained the title of a short story inside) to The old craftsman's apprentice (also the title of a short story inside, but he is rather the main character too, so it fits better).

Reactions: teeheesrw

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Titles for my books have changed over the years more times then I could count. Nothing is published so I know they could always change if they do get published, so I try not to get too attached.

Mostly I name them after the general theme of the book. Something that sounds catchy. Something I would read the title of in a book store and go "Ohhh what's that about?"

But sometimes they just arent catchy and are just a placeholder that summarized the plot. The Amnesia Journey for example. Is it catchy? not really, but it does summarize the book in three words.

The book I'm working on now was originally titled Real Insanity. But the more and more of it I wrote I realized the insanity part of it was only a part of the book not the plot as a whole. So I changed it to The Roarshaw Prophecy. Based on the Prophecy around the two MCs The Roarshaw's.

There is nothing wrong with calling a book Untitled, my only advice would be to summarize it in a few words so you can instantly keep track of which story is which.

MJTennant

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's just me, but pretty much every story I plan to turn into a novel is currently titled "Untitled." I purposely leave it to the end since sometimes I'm not sure where the story will take me, but now that I've actually finished one story I still don't have a title. I'd love to hear how you guys created your titles, or any tips you may have for coming up with a good one
My titles usually come as I am writing the story and they encapsulate what the story is mainly about. I go for one word titles as they are punchier but, you also run the risk of other authors having a book by the same title.

If you still need help with a title, you could pop your synopsis on here and us as your fellow writers could make some suggestions for you. It isn't easy choosing a title.

M J x