Etiquette of submitting to new publisher when I know one of their editors

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
Edit: I'm so sorry - I've managed to post this in the wrong section of the forum. I'm trying to find out how to delete it.

I’m planning to submit to a publisher I haven’t dealt with before. I worked with one of their editors on a couple of books at a different publisher a few years ago, and it felt to me as if we had a good relationship. Would it be inappropriate for me to contact that person to let them know I’m submitting?

I don’t want to miss doing something that might reduce my wait time, but neither do I want to do something that's beyond the pale and embarrass that person / myself. I haven't been in this position before and have no idea what the usual form is. I'd be grateful for any guidance.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Edit: I'm so sorry - I've managed to post this in the wrong section of the forum. I'm trying to find out how to delete it.

I’m planning to submit to a publisher I haven’t dealt with before. I worked with one of their editors on a couple of books at a different publisher a few years ago, and it felt to me as if we had a good relationship. Would it be inappropriate for me to contact that person to let them know I’m submitting?

I don’t want to miss doing something that might reduce my wait time, but neither do I want to do something that's beyond the pale and embarrass that person / myself. I haven't been in this position before and have no idea what the usual form is. I'd be grateful for any guidance.

First, if you haven't already, don't try to delete and make a second thread. Just use the report button to report yourself and put the request to move the thread in the box.

If you have started a second, the first will probably get locked as a duplicate thread. I would think Ask the Editor would be the right forum.

Second. From a book published decades ago, if you know the name of the editor, use it. I doubt that piece of wisdom has changed. If you don't have a name, use a polite, business appropriate greeting. About all the wisdom I've retained from that book, I'm afraid. Can't even remember the name of it.

Reactions: Twinings

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I reckon this is probably the right place.

This is beyond my area of personal experience, but if it were me:

Scenario 1, in which I know this editor well, we have a friendship that grew out of the business relationship, we regularly communicate, we follow each other on social media, etc: I'd email them prior to subbing and say, "Hey, I'm planning to sub to the publisher you're currently with. If you feel you need to recuse yourself from the decision-making panel based on our relationship, I'm fine with that and indeed encourage you to do so."

Scenario 2, in which we worked together well years ago in a business relationship but have not had personal contact since: I'd submit via the usual methods, with the usual professional cover letter, and I'd make sure that in my "previous publications include" statement those of my books that this editor worked on feature prominently, naming both title and publisher. If this editor is the person who receives and reads the letter, all well and good, and no doubt they'll have their memory jogged. If this editor isn't the person who reads and decides on submissions, you won't look like you're trying to pull strings.

ETA: In scenario 2, I'd not separately contact the editor. Either my current book is good enough that it will advance to a full read at the publisher and/or my previous books are memorable enough that this editor will remember me/them, or I/my previous books were wholly unmemorable (or, worse, memorable for the wrong reasons) in which case contacting the editor privately is going to make me look like the weaselly, greasy kind of author that you wouldn't want to work with.

Last edited:

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
First, if you haven't already, don't try to delete and make a second thread. Just use the report button to report yourself and put the request to move the thread in the box.

If you have started a second, the first will probably get locked as a duplicate thread. I would think Ask the Editor would be the right forum.

Second. From a book published decades ago, if you know the name of the editor, use it. I doubt that piece of wisdom has changed. If you don't have a name, use a polite, business appropriate greeting. About all the wisdom I've retained from that book, I'm afraid. Can't even remember the name of it.
Thank you so much - this is very helpful on both questions! (I haven't started a second thread as I wasn't sure what to do when I realised I couldn't delete.) Thanks again.

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
I reckon this is probably the right place.

This is beyond my area of personal experience, but if it were me:

Scenario 1, in which I know this editor well, we have a friendship that grew out of the business relationship, we regularly communicate, we follow each other on social media, etc: I'd email them prior to subbing and say, "Hey, I'm planning to sub to the publisher you're currently with. If you feel you need to recuse yourself from the decision-making panel based on our relationship, I'm fine with that and indeed encourage you to do so."

Scenario 2, in which we worked together well years ago in a business relationship but have not had personal contact since: I'd submit via the usual methods, with the usual professional cover letter, and I'd make sure that in my "previous publications include" statement those of my books that this editor worked on feature prominently, naming both title and publisher. If this editor is the person who receives and reads the letter, all well and good, and no doubt they'll have their memory jogged. If this editor isn't the person who reads and decides on submissions, you won't look like you're trying to pull strings.

ETA: In scenario 2, I'd not separately contact the editor. Either my current book is good enough that it will advance to a full read at the publisher and/or my previous books are memorable enough that this editor will remember me/them, or I/my previous books were wholly unmemorable (or, worse, memorable for the wrong reasons) in which case contacting the editor privately is going to make me look like the weaselly, greasy kind of author that you wouldn't want to work with.
This is wonderfully helpful. The weaselly, greasy look is most definitely not what I'm going for and also what I was worried about! I really didn't have a clue as to what is usual, though, and didn't want to miss an opportunity if it was normal practice. What you say makes perfect sense, and I feel comfortable at the idea of using the approach in your second scenario, whereas I didn't at the thought of making contact. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Unimportant