I finished rereading (most of) a book in an afternoon.

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
It was Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Now, some caveats:
1) I got through 9/10ths (realistically 8.5/10ths) of the book, the last part I recall to be actiony, and I didn't want to be late for dinner.
2) I'm not sure if the quality of the book is acclaimed enough to be that great a prose to absorb. May not be as useful a teaching tool as G.R.R. Martin or something.
3) I'm not sure how much of the prose I absorbed by osmosis. I looked back at points to see how scenes were set, the speech, so on. But I can't measure how much I absorbed, and how much I can translate into my own writing.

Despite it all, I found the book reread to be as enjoyable as it was the first time. I didn't know I still had in me to finish (most of) a book in an afternoon.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pleased to see I'm not the only person who readers differently since I started writing. So there's a chance I might find an enjoyable read and just hunker down and read for the afternoon, like I used to?

Glad to know you still can. I followed Scalzi at Xitter (new name courtesy of Unimportant) before he left, and he's a good guy, too. I like knowing the writers my friends are reading are also decent people.