• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Is it better to force yourself to write or give up and do something non-writing related.

jonxihama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of revising queries and synopses and find myself staring at a blinking cursor for 1-2 hours. Part of me thinks it'd be a better use of time to do something non-writing related than stare at a blank document. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to write something similar, only 30 minutes. I'm such a meanie!

Forcing yourself to write for a doable amount of time gets you words on a page. Maybe poorly executed, but something you can edit, revise, even rewrite entirely. That blank page is just blank.

Reactions: jonxihama

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I tried this suggestion and it turned out I was just being lazy. Thanks!
If I can offer a possible reframe: you were encountering some form of resistance that made avoidance easier than writing. Setting the time limit helped you push past whatever that particular resistance was.

(“Lazy” is a hot button for me… As with anything, salt to taste and disregard if this framing doesn’t work for you.)

iwriteforfood

lifelong apprentice
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been a musician for more than 20 years, but a serious musician for only about four (so I still have a long way to go!). As a writer, I'm much less experienced, so this may not translate to writer's block...

First, if I'm working on a deadline, then I force myself to do it, no excuses.

If no deadline, I put it aside and focus on something (still within the realm of getting better as a musician) that gives me joy. I may put it aside for a day, week, month, even a year as I focus on these other aspects of music. If the project is important to me, I'll come back to it... and I do. What is essential is that I don't begin to hate practicing music (or in this case, writing).

My thought would be - Don't lose your joy! Is there a story/style of writing that you've been toying with but never had the time to try? Do that for a while, make it fun again. And if it is something that is non-writing related (which I think is fine), I'd recommend that it be something that is not a time-waster. I wouldn't want to start creating bad habits that I'd have to break later.

If this project is important, you'll come back to it.

ReadTread

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of revising queries and synopses and find myself staring at a blinking cursor for 1-2 hours. Part of me thinks it'd be a better use of time to do something non-writing related than stare at a blank document. Thoughts?
Oh yes! I tend to stick with the blank page for a looong time, but it seldom works for me. I learned that I can be "writing" when I'm not writing! Some of my best "writing" happens when I'm walking with dog, in a really hot bath, driving, or cleaning the house. For a while, I thought that was strange or 'cheating', then I listened to a bunch of vlogs where real authors experienced the same thing.

Another thing is to pretend to make yourself work on something really boring like budgeting or paying off bills. After a few minutes, the temptation to write sometimes kicks in!

Infinimata

only connect
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.infinimata.com
Self-pacing is one of those skills writers have to learn on their own. Some people benefit from the pomodoro model; some just sit down and power through things when they have the right music on. It helps to experiment and document what you find.

I'm finding that on days when I tell myself "I don't want to write!", I say to myself, "Okay, just sit down and write one sentence." So I write the one sentence, and then 99% of the time, I'm writing the next one more or less automatically, and the next one, and by that point my resistance has vanished.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I go and write something else. An email, a page of journal, and then click over to the main project. For me, just the act of typing along for a while means when I start typing on the project, it works.

Also, skip forward to a more interesting scene to get going. Then slot it back in where it belongs later.