Just A Reminder - and a suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Here's the reminder. There are several stories on the Polished and Ready thread in need of some TLC (tough little critiques).

Now, about that suggestion. If you're the author of one of those stories, the best way to get crits is to give some. Just a thought.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Last edited:

riteideas

One reason so few people crit other’s works might be, perhaps, be that they feel giving crits is scarier than receiving them! I’m pretty sure that most writers are very “sensitive” to other people’s feelings and are afraid of causing someone harm. And then there’s the issue of, I don’t know enough, yet, about writing to crit anyone else’s work. It all adds up to very few people with the ability or self esteem to be able to crit another writers work.

But I’ll jump in, even with my low self esteem and poor grammar, and rip someone’s work. That is, as long as they aren’t carrying any guns or knives.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
You know, critting is a great way to improve your writing. For one thing, it makes you look at a work and think "huh - why do I like this and not that?"

I feel critting is a great learning tool. And if you feel inexperienced or unsure whether you're 'good' enough to crit (believe me, there is no such thing :) ) just ask folks to be gentle with you - and point 'em in my direction if they're not!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the mood for a good crit-giving, Bill. Is there one in particular you're thinking of?

ETA: What Cath said. Critting is an amazing learning tool.

Last edited:

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
I'm in the mood for a good crit-giving, Bill. Is there one in particular you're thinking of?

ETA: What Cath said. Critting is an amazing learning tool.
(one of these days I'm gonna hafta remember to turn on the notification function in my CP)

Vix, there's a story, Amber-lee, by Nahalwi, posted back in August, which has never been critiqued. I'm going to give it a whack or two in a bit, honest, but a few quality critiques to counter mine would be a goodness. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114267

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Bill...

Can't get into your link. And I can't find anything called Amber-Lee by Nahalwi. I'd love to help out and crit it or something else. :)

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Hey, Bill...

Can't get into your link. And I can't find anything called Amber-Lee by Nahalwi. I'd love to help out and crit it or something else. :)
Vix, go to the "Polished and Ready" forum at the top of the page, enter the magical, mystical, super-secret password, (whispers, "It's, FLASHED,") and all will be revealed.

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Got it now! Thanks! :D

ETA: I'm wondering if it wasn't critted because it was in a secret "room".

*shrugs*

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Well I know I'm late to the discussion here, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

First, if anyone, and I mean anyone wants to crit my work, go right ahead. I live in Israel and have asked people who are not native English speakers what they think also. I find all thoughts on my work useful and I am happy to see any thoughts, scathing, gentle or otherwise.

Second, is there a way for there to be a link from the main SYW to the board here? I found many people used to have trouble getting in and didn't bother because it was a separate board, with a separate PW. The work I have in SYW has already gotten some good feedback, but nothing on the two pieces I posted here so far (both brand new BTW).

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents and it feels great to be back here. I hope to get back into the swing of things working regularly and posting lots of new work while also revising some of my older stuff and trying to get it published (heck, if for no other reason than I could use the money ;) -- moving to a new country is God-awful expensive!).

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.