Mystery-centric outline, real...or Illuminati illusion?

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted on any AW forums. So, forgive me if this is something someone's asked, already.

I've learned that the ONLY way I can write even remotely decently is to have an outline. While I am perfectly at peace (read, can't change it...so I begrudgingly accept it & medicate it) with my ADHD symptoms....without an outline, my work READS like someone with ADHD wrote it. aka, not good.... I've been using the Three Act Eight Sequence plotting method....but, I found it didn't seem right to plot a mystery story. (For me, the pacing felt off. Not as snappy as I know mystery novels to be.) Perhaps I'm missing something?

I've asked some of the mystery authors I know what plotting outline they utilize & have gotten the same answer from them. "I don't use one! I'm a pantser!" Of course, I died a little inside...but, that still left me in my same boat....someone who needs a plot outline for the genre & unable to find one. (Hence the title to this post. I'm almost entirely convinced that a mystery plot outline template is an Illuminati illusion I shall never find.)

Does anyone have a plotting method they use for mysteries? I'd be willing to pay in virtual snickerdoodles if you'd be willing to share!! :D

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine does cozy mysteries and all I know is that she starts at the end and works backwards.

Reactions: Sully317

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's another I've heard. Alas, I cannot work that way. I am too much of a linear writer from beginning to end.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I started with The Snowflake Method. The beauty of it is that once you work through it you can customize it to your needs. I use a few parts of it with every book. I pantsed my first book and won't do it again. Outlines work with me because I work FT and I can get back into the story with them. Also, my outlines change as the characters and plot develop, but I still have the clues and red herrings I created right there to use.

Sorry for no link, but I'm on my phone and extremely under the weather. There should still be a truncated free version to try out. Good luck!

Reactions: Moni

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use an outline, per se; but I do have a set of general ideas of where the story should go and ultimately end up. I do use a generic three phase procedure which somewhat mirrors standard investigative techniques.
First, discover the crime and all that entails, and of course how unsolvable it initially appears.
Next, the investigation commences, generally following routine police procedure, introducing the main characters and the supporting cast. It doesn't matter if it's not a strict police procedural, any mystery is a search for clues/evidence, each of which must be corroborated or refuted. Here is where you plant your red-herrings and cryptically foreshadowed hints/clues.
The third phase is where the MC(s) must face potentially insurmountable jeopardy in some fashion, and yet survive to ascertain the truth; resolution ensues, wherein loose ends are addressed.
It's not so much an outline as a broad path subject to bursts of inspiration or subtle flares of nuance; imagination is in no way inhibited.
In fact, ADHD need not be a hindrance, but perhaps something of an inspirational tool. Take good notes, then cherry-pick those gems from your collected ideas and see where they might fit in your plots schemes.
Whatever you do, best of luck!

Reactions: Moni and Janine R

Sully317

Registered
Reaction score
Give John Truby's The Anatomy of Story and The Anatomy of Genres a try. They are a bit dense, so not light reading, but they will give you great ideas for how to approach outlining your story.