Noodling my genre. Help?

John Berkowitz

I was sent here to study you people.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

My WIP is MG, but a distinct -- and possible new -- flavor of fantasy. It is:
  • a bit post-apocalyptic (it takes place 50 years after the "Surge" when electricity went away and society reverted to pre-WWI
  • set in a world where faeries and the fae abound (their return to Earth is what fritzed out electricity)
  • a steampunk vibe -- the MC is an inventor who uses spare parts to create gadgets (think The Goonies or a kid version of Caractacus Potts)
  • a fantasy, as our hero uses broken magic to power his inventions
  • full of conflict since many humans still think of the fae as unwelcome outsiders and blame them for the collapse of the old society; most of the young characters in this book are half-fae orphans.
I'm incorporating S.T.E.M. into this book, so science is a focus. But to become the hero, my MC finds clever ways to mix tech and magic. The closest thing I can find to a genre -- and as far as I can tell, this has never been done in MG -- is "elf punk" which is described as a subgenre of urban fantasy in which traditional mythological creatures such as faeries and elves are transplanted from rural folklore into modern urban settings, and includes themes of rebellion, of fighting against society, and challenging social norms.

The only elf punk books I've seen are YA. I've read Tithe by Holly Black and The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. Neither of these are lighthearted nor funny, and I'd like mine to be. Do you think it would be a mistake to categorize my book as elf punk? Do you think calling it fantasy is sufficient? Would you suggest an alternative genre?

Thanks in advance.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

My WIP is MG, but a distinct -- and possible new -- flavor of fantasy. It is:
  • a bit post-apocalyptic (it takes place 50 years after the "Surge" when electricity went away and society reverted to pre-WWI
  • set in a world where faeries and the fae abound (their return to Earth is what fritzed out electricity)
  • a steampunk vibe -- the MC is an inventor who uses spare parts to create gadgets (think The Goonies or a kid version of Caractacus Potts)
  • a fantasy, as our hero uses broken magic to power his inventions
  • full of conflict since many humans still think of the fae as unwelcome outsiders and blame them for the collapse of the old society; most of the young characters in this book are half-fae orphans.
I'm incorporating S.T.E.M. into this book, so science is a focus. But to become the hero, my MC finds clever ways to mix tech and magic. The closest thing I can find to a genre -- and as far as I can tell, this has never been done in MG -- is "elf punk" which is described as a subgenre of urban fantasy in which traditional mythological creatures such as faeries and elves are transplanted from rural folklore into modern urban settings, and includes themes of rebellion, of fighting against society, and challenging social norms.

The only elf punk books I've seen are YA. I've read Tithe by Holly Black and The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. Neither of these are lighthearted nor funny, and I'd like mine to be. Do you think it would be a mistake to categorize my book as elf punk? Do you think calling it fantasy is sufficient? Would you suggest an alternative genre?

Thanks in advance.
Are you interested in marketing these as S.T.E.M. books that happen to have magic or as fantasy books that happen to have a bit of sciency stuff happening? That, spec fic, sci-fi or fantasy is the first level. If I was looking at a gift for my 12yo, I have to admit sci-fi (implied real science, even if the plot plays fast and loose) would be a selling point over fantasy (implied magic, possible handwavium on the science side).

John Berkowitz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I am not certain what will be the best way to market this or which aspect to promote. I suppose that will depend on how it turns out once it is written and edited and what advice my prospective agent/publisher offers. However I think whether or not sci-fi is a preferable market over fantasy is largely down to the reader. My two youngest children, for example (one boy and one girl), have no interest in sci-fi whatsoever. Looking at the books currently on the shelf in the children's section of my local bookstore, I would say fantasy of all flavors greatly outsells science and science fiction. Sci-fi has too many rules to appeal to 7-9yos, I would think. But who knows what the market will look like in a couple of years, which is the soonest this book could be printed.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I am not certain what will be the best way to market this or which aspect to promote. I suppose that will depend on how it turns out once it is written and edited and what advice my prospective agent/publisher offers. However I think whether or not sci-fi is a preferable market over fantasy is largely down to the reader. My two youngest children, for example (one boy and one girl), have no interest in sci-fi whatsoever. Looking at the books currently on the shelf in the children's section of my local bookstore, I would say fantasy of all flavors greatly outsells science and science fiction. Sci-fi has too many rules to appeal to 7-9yos, I would think. But who knows what the market will look like in a couple of years, which is the soonest this book could be printed.
I think I'd put the marketing question on the backburner, till you see what the book wants. It'll be much easier to decipher the genre once the first draft is done, I would imagine.

John Berkowitz

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd put the marketing question on the backburner, till you see what the book wants. It'll be much easier to decipher the genre once the first draft is done, I would imagine.
Agreed. But I thought the conversation might be instructive nevertheless. And it has been. Thank you.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. But I thought the conversation might be instructive nevertheless. And it has been. Thank you.
It's my very great pleasure. And the conversation is useful - I was just joining in with my 2c because you can never have too many 2c pieces, amirite?

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score

I have a 12yo who loves reading the English version of the Cells at Work manga. I do agree with others about writing now and marketing when ready to market.

One market might be those school libraries or other teaching curriculum to introduce S.T.E.M. concepts in a reader friendly method where textbooks might scare or bore some kids off the subject. That had my attention and my excitement as a parent. The possibility this might have enough cross-over between textbook and enjoyment book to inspire kids to fall in love with science.

Whether there would be a market for a publisher is another story. There might be one. There might not be. You might end up creating one, if you go this way.

John Berkowitz

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 12yo who loves reading the English version of the Cells at Work manga. I do agree with others about writing now and marketing when ready to market.

One market might be those school libraries or other teaching curriculum to introduce S.T.E.M. concepts in a reader friendly method where textbooks might scare or bore some kids off the subject. That had my attention and my excitement as a parent. The possibility this might have enough cross-over between textbook and enjoyment book to inspire kids to fall in love with science.

Whether there would be a market for a publisher is another story. There might be one. There might not be. You might end up creating one, if you go this way.
Are you aware of any resources for writers about effectively incorporating S.T.E.M. into a work of fiction? I don't really intend for this to be any kind of textbook or to include instructions for any particular device. Just to stimulate the imaginations of those readers who enjoy S.T.E.M. activities. There may or may not be riddles or mysteries to solve that knowledge of S.T.E.M. would suggest a solution.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
Are you aware of any resources for writers about effectively incorporating S.T.E.M. into a work of fiction? I don't really intend for this to be any kind of textbook or to include instructions for any particular device. Just to stimulate the imaginations of those readers who enjoy S.T.E.M. activities. There may or may not be riddles or mysteries to solve that knowledge of S.T.E.M. would suggest a solution.
Unfortunately, I tend to write for adults with an emphasis on climate and biology in my sci-fi.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
In the manga/anime series I mentioned, there is a problem. Perhaps "the body" gets a scrape. Since it is about the blood system, the story focuses on a squad of adorable little kids, the platelets. Working together to spread fibrin nets, then adding coagulation factors to clot the injury.

Or a flu infection, where the various white blood cells are focused on tracking down, identifying, and taking out the viral invaders. And pretty soon, with exposure of different cell types over the volumes, the kid knows more about the circulatory system than the teachers at school.

I'm not necessarily picturing either/or. I'm picturing that type of hybrid where the kids are exposed to the need by your protagonist to design something. Maybe it needs a gearbox, give enough problem solving for readers to have an understanding of gearing up/down and why one might want to use that solution.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As educational categories go, there's also S.T.E.A.M., of course (where A = Arts). That might help with the categories.

Magic could be an art.

Last edited: