• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Teasing apart “like” vs “want”

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

After talking to several researchers for this story, I realized the English word “want” is imprecise to describe the psychological phenomenon Leyton has been describing.

“It’s not your desire for world peace,” says Kent Berridge, a neuroscientist at the University of Michigan. “It’s not my desire to exercise or lose weight.” Those are “real desires,” he assures. But they are not behind the sort of behavior that is facilitated by the dopamine system in the brain. “They don’t give you that kind of urge.”

Imagine this scenario. You’re at a house party, sitting on a sofa. In front of you is a bowl of peanuts. Humble, roasted, salted peanuts. Not a super exciting snack. And you’re not that hungry. But in a moment of fidgetiness, you take a peanut. A few moments pass. You take another. And then another. Do you even like peanuts? You know more food — tastier food — is coming when dinner is served. You don’t really want to eat these, but now, half the peanut bowl is gone. Still, there’s something inside you — wordless, noiseless, unceasing — compelling you to reach for more.

That’s want.

It’s a manifestation of our mesolimbic system, the reward pathway in the brain that’s facilitated by dopamine. It’s a system that’s trained, over time, to influence our decisions. It’s the system that compels you toward the peanut and also toward other things, like scrolling through endless TikToks or Instagram reels.

Leyton’s cocaine experiment highlights another key, unintuitive, way to define wanting — by showing that wanting is not the same as liking.

You might find this idea confusing. Scientists were once confused by it, too. “When I started in the field decades ago, we thought they were basically the same two words for the same psychological process,” Berridge says.

It made sense to conflate the two. In daily life liking and wanting go together really well,” Berridge says. We want things because we like the way they taste or how they make us feel.

It just seems so obvious that liking and wanting should go together. So it’s interesting to see the studies in which they can, indeed, be pulled apart. First, there were animal studies. Starting in the late 1980s, Berridge and colleagues surgically or chemically diminished lab rats’ ability to produce dopamine.

Without dopamine, “those rats won’t eat voluntarily, they won’t drink voluntarily, they won’t pursue any reward voluntarily,” Berridge says. “And it was thought that they had lost all pleasure.” But, studies concluded, they apparently did not.

There’s convincing evidence that this split between liking and wanting happens in humans, too. That’s what Leyton’s cocaine study demonstrates — the liking of cocaine and the wanting of cocaine can be disentangled.

Leyton has repeated the dopamine-reducing experiment with other drugs, “with alcohol, tobacco,” he says. When he puts people in a low dopamine state, they don’t just say they crave their drugs less, but they’re less willing to work on a tedious computer task to obtain them.

He’s even done a version of this study with money. “It’s not a drug,” he says, “it’s not even delicious!” But when Leyton put them into a low dopamine state, participants “were less willing to sustain the effort to obtain $5 bills.”

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
  • Love
Reactions: frimble3

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
WRT the author’s remark that money ‘isn’t even delicious’, I instantly decided that if money had a flavor, it would be oleagenous.
Tell that to a young child who eats coins... Mind you, young children, whose taste buds are so sensitive they won't even eat foods that are good for them, seem to have little problem eating things that have plasticy, metallic or dirt flavors (rocks), or even nasty tasting (like some household chemicals).
This, based on my firmly held belief that, economically speaking, money is not a possession or a commodity, much less a fuel. It’s a lubricant.
In animal behavior, we talk about conditioned "bridges," which become associated with a non conditioned reward object. Clicker training utilizes this, with the animal learning to associate the previously neutral (or even scary) click sound with food. The immediate click (or other reward marker) following the desired behavior lets the animal know the reward is coming. The emotional response to the bridge becomes comparable to the emotional response to the food reward, but the advantage is it is a crisp, quick noise that can be more closely delivered in that very instant the animal performs the desired behavior.

Money is often used as an analogy for this phenomenon, since humans quickly develop an emotional response to money (and things associated with wealth itself), presumably because it is associated with the delivery of things we want, (in the immediate sense the article describes), and later in a more abstract sense, power (and greater access to sex in some cases). We do seem to have the ability to respond to delayed rewards, though, compared to other animals. So I can be paid weeks later for long, tedious chores. That wouldn't work for a dog, even with a bridge. However, this doesn't seem to produce the same joy in the mundane chores that are eventually rewarded that my dog experiences when he is, say, learning to do tricks or something.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a teen I had an afterschool jab, and I still babysat on the side:
The library paid better, biweekly, but the pleasure of getting less money, right into my hand, at the end of an evening with someone's kid was a whole 'nother thing.
This may be why some people spend years at jobs where a lot of their pay comes as tips.