When they were young

glove

Registered
Reaction score
Dont know if this is the right forum. However I've been up since 4:50 trying to get stuff done as its nearly Christmas and all that, and my mind has been wandering back to earlier times when children were younger.
I supervised a weekend sleepover, 5/6 children aged around 6 years of age. Lots of fun to well into the night/early morning. The following week, doing the school run, lots of mums dads teachers were smiling at me as if they knew something i didnt know. The darling angels had filmed me, mouth wide open and snoring, and up loaded it to facebook.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Dont know if this is the right forum. However I've been up since 4:50 trying to get stuff done as its nearly Christmas and all that, and my mind has been wandering back to earlier times when children were younger.
I supervised a weekend sleepover, 5/6 children aged around 6 years of age. Lots of fun to well into the night/early morning. The following week, doing the school run, lots of mums dads teachers were smiling at me as if they knew something i didnt know. The darling angels had filmed me, mouth wide open and snoring, and up loaded it to facebook.
Not only were you a great parent, but you're a good sport as well! May your Christmases be merry and bright!

• Love
Reactions: Elenitsa and glove

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And internet safety and that things that go on the internet are there forever. OP is a better sport than I would have been. I would have been furious.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Six is plenty old enough to understand consent. When our children were that age, public schools discussed it in age-appropriate ways starting in kindergarten, when most kids are five.

Did a six-year-old know how to put it online in a place where other parents would see it? That sounds to me like a complicit adult.

I, too, would be furious rather than amused and nostalgic.

Last edited:

glove

Registered
Reaction score
Six is plenty old enough to understand consent. When our children were that age, public schools discussed it in age-appropriate ways starting in kindergarten, when most kids are five.

Did a six-year-old know how to put it online in a place where other parents would see it? That sounds to me like a complicit adult.

I, too, would be furious rather than amused and nostalgic.
Please dont reply to any of my posts. Thank you

• Wow
Reactions: Unimportant

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My kids understood consent by the time they were two and internet safety before they were six. Then again, it's a much different era of parenting.

Reactions: Friendly Frog

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
If there was an adult involved in posting, that individual should definitely know better than to post a video of the person with the person's permission.

Otherwise, if the kid(s) was/were old enough to have learned how to post a video to YouTube, the kid(s) was/were old enough to have learned you don't do that without permission.

That said, our kid was not on the internet at six, unless it was supervised at school.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with that. Young children need to understand that they have autonomy and it shouldn't be violated without their consent. They're allowed to refuse to be kissed, have their picture taken, or sit on Uncle Jeff's lap.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
The kids may have been too young to know better, but the adults, whooo boy, would get a serious side-eye from me from now on. They chose to smirk in your face instead of informing you of your privacy being compromised for someone's entertainment. Classy.

And I agree, definitely time for some discussions about consent. For the kids' own sake as well as that of others. School bullies have already found the way online to hound their victims now even after class. Far too many kids have taken their own life for something that was posted about them online without their consent. It's not a kindness to let kids be ignorant of the dangers once they move online.