• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Scribe Agency

Vomaxx

Has anyone dealt with the Scribe Agency in Madison, Wisconsin? They are, I think, quite new, and not listed at P&E (although there are three agencies with "scribe" in their names there).

Rhush

Scribe agency?

Does anyone know if scribe is ligit? They boast one published author on their site, but thats all I could find. Do these guys have any experience in the business?

aka eraser

Re: Scribe agency?

Porting this over to Bewares and Background Checks.

vstrauss

Re: Scribe agency?

I'm a bit suspicious when I visit an agent's site and the first link on it is "Manifesto". However, the sale, to Bantam, is a real sale, and the author's website confirms it. I can't find any other info on the agency or the agents. Jury's out on this one.

- Victoria

Rhush

Hey

I emailed the author listed on the site and he said that he cant say enough good things about the agency...so hmmm....maybe? I just feel weirded that there is only one client listed.

Vomaxx

Re: Hey

Yes--1 client. And they're not all that eager for a second one--I got their rejection yesterday..... :x

azbikergirl

Me too

I was rejected by them also, so you're in good company. :D They don't know what they're missing out on. :rollin

Vomaxx

Re: Me too

Yes, we seem to be treading the same paths with both Scribe and Thoth. I hope at least one of us has some good luck. :)

Rhush

Scribe wants to see my manuscript

I know we have mentioned Scribe Agency on here before and there doesn't seem to be too much info on them, but they emailed me today and would like to see my full manuscript! Yea! So, I was just wondering if anything new has come up about them. Good or bad. I found them listed on Writersmarket.com... do they have to pass any certain test to be on there? I know you have to be AAR to be in the Writer's Market book, but I'm not sure what qualifies an agency:rollin for the web site. Anybody Know?

Vomaxx

Re: Scribe wants to see my manuscript

I hope you have better luck than I recently did. At least their rejection of my synopsis/partial was quick: 13 days. You'll probably hear from them soon.

I was a little disappointed that their refusal said only "it does not fit our current needs."

I believe they are quite a new agency, with one published author.

Rhush

scribe

Don't worry Vomaxx. I was rejected by 17 other agents. It just takes a lot of time and effort to get through all this pain! Good luck and thanks for your replies. Oh, and check this out. www.freewebs.com/rhush/index.htm
Maybe you can tell me what you think. Talk to you later.

spywriter

scribe

Rhush....there are many NON-AAR agents in Writer's Market, so beware. There are actually quite a few doozies in there. Also, I have noticed that some agents state last year sales to impress us, but if you look at the one from the year berfore, its the exact same sales. Like I said BE CAREFUL!

Rhush

Anyone heard of Kristopher O'Higgins?

He's and agent with Scribe and I'm just curious if anyone has heard of him previously connected to any other Agencies?

eldragon

Fastest rejection yet

They rejected me in less than 30 minutes.

"thanks for your submission, but it does not meet our current needs."

What about my needs? Did you even read it?

Vomaxx

Scribe

Yes... their current needs. The usual refrain.

I hope that they accept someone on this board, so we can find out what those current needs are.

MacAl Stone

Re: Scribe

Are you guys talking about the Scribe Agency in Madison, Wisconsin?

It's apparently run by a couple of guys named Kristopher O'Higgins and Jesse Vogel.

The bad news is, they don't say anything at all about their qualifications, AAR membership, etc.
AAR has a search function--couldn't find either of the gentlemen in question--or the agency--listed in the AAR directory.

O'Higgins is not listed at the very excellent Preditors & Editors site, but Jesse Vogel is mentioned as an agent, with at least one verified sale, to a legitimate, royalty-paying publisher.

P&E lists the Scribe Agency--with only a notation that the given address had been reported to be invalid.

Rhush

continued....

Thanks for everyone's comments. I had done some research myself and actually emailed them and simply asked. Here is the response...

to answer your questions while i wait for your ms to arrive: yes, we represent fantasy, no we are not members of AAR, and we are building our client list and
as of right now don't have a list to share with you. we will be adding information to the website highlighting some of our work in publishing (both on
the agent side and on the publisher side) some time in the very near future.

I also emailed Barth Anderson and found that they worked him a six figure deal with Bantam after talking with editor Juliet Ulman.

What do ya'll think?

vstrauss

Re: continued....

As far as I can tell, the sale to Bantam is the only sale so far for this agency. I also can't discover what (if any) qualifications the agents have. While the sale is a solid sale, in the absence of this information I'd still suggest caution--it could be a good sign for the future or a fluke.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Scribe Agency (Kristopher O'higgins and Jesse Vogel)

Their website is @#*& difficult to read, but I found this:

"prior to launching Scribe Agency, we stalwart agents worked for james frenkel and associates, representing a list of authors as well as editing books for tor books."

http://www.scribeagency.com/what we done.htm

Darin C. Bradley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blackmarmot.com
I signed with Scribe Agency in mid June, so I can add a little more to the pie -- not much, but for the curious:

Years ago, Kristopher O'Higgins did some work with Tor books -- in editing, as CaoPaux pointed out. In fact, there's a great story about how, years after he left, he sought out the author of one of the manuscripts he was unable to buy and offered the fellow representation.

Kristopher and Jesse currently represent about half a dozen clients (that number depending on whether or not everyone's signed everything they were supposed to within the last month or so). They're terrific guys, and their answers to my questions are making short work of my naivete.

Darin C. Bradley

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Scribe has a weird website

but it sems par for the course. I mean look at scammy places like Desert Rose or NewYork Literary Agency. (CHEE!) Glitz does not equate with honesty. Look at their manifesto and click on 'what we've done.' They've worked on a variety of projects with a variety of authors I feel all have 'names' ( Joan Vinge, Frederich Pohl.) What ever part they played in the publication or production of the works they've named, they obviously seem to know how to do something right. If they were bad guys, they'd be slammed all over the web by now. I sent them a query and they sent me a polite and mannerly response, so I just took the second step and sent them my packet.

Since they didn't return my query letter with a rubber stamp on it saying 'no', and they took the time to draft a thoughtful response, I feel comfortable with them. I mean they didn't ask for money or my first born child. I'll let you know what happens with them. My gut feeling says they are good guys in Green Bay clothing.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Vomaxx said:
Yes--1 client. And they're not all that eager for a second one-
-I got their rejection yesterday..... :x

Ya, I got their rejection as well. Most agents are rather eloquent about it, like"Naa, it's just not right for me at this time, or it's interesting, but I am just to loaded with work right now, to consider anythingelse.

I like it that they didn't sugarcoat my rejection, and just plain said they weren't interested.