• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Richard Henshaw Group

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with Richard Henshaw or anyone in his agency? They seem solid, but I have found descriptions of them as "small" and "second tier".

flotsamarama

Registered
Reaction score
I think he's reputable. I queried him by mail in December and received a polite, but form, rejection about two weeks later. I hope you have better luck.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Some time ago I queried, then sent a partial to Susannah Taylor of the Henshaw Group. She sent a polite rejection to the effect that although she enjoyed the writing, it wasn't exactly her sort of thing.

If you run names from their client list on Amazon, you'll find quite a few sales to legit houses.

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Susannah Taylor a few days ago on the advice of a pubbed. member of my writing group. No response so far but no red flags either.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.richh.addr.com/

Small agency, but solid sales.

Yes, my first response was "It's not the size that matters, but what you can do with it". :tongue

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Rich Henshaw's for real. I know of no reason to deprecate the agency.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. Yes, I have found that they represent several authors whom I like very much, so I am putting the query in tomorrow's mail.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my experience with them was mostly positive. He read my partial in a timely fashion and rejected me ever so nicely.

nonan

Registered
Reaction score
Nice guy!

I can't say how good an agent Rich is, because I have no experience here, but when I e-mailed him a response to his rejection e-mail, which was right-on-the-money and long and personal, he responded quickly, although no reply was necessary. I even countered, and he replied again.

Clearly above and beyond the usual.

I'm guessing he's a stand-up guy, for what it's worth.

(His web site is very poor, however, but so are a lot of small agencies'.)

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Susannah Taylor requested a partial from me a while back. She sent a rejection about two weeks after, but it was very polite and kind of personalized. I would definitely recommend her.

Lance0812

Registered
Reaction score
I liked his response to my query: "This sounds like fun." And a request for a partial. I'll keep you all posted.

clarkbrother

Wait... I'm thinking.
Registered
Reaction score
I liked his response to my query: "This sounds like fun." And a request for a partial. I'll keep you all posted.

Hmm... I got the same response to my query yesterday and a request for the manuscript. I got excited when he said "This sounds like fun." I thought it was a personal reaction to the premise of my story. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm just being too cynical. Fingers crossed!

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
Ah, 2 stories can sound like fun, and I bet both your stories do. Take it positively. And good luck to both you fun guys.

kap

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God, yes. What KAP said!

There are a million ways to be rejected kindly. Don't go looking to lessen the non-rejections. It's a NON-REJECTION!

Congrats! Send it. If I had to reply to as many emails as agents do, I'd have a standard for each scenario. Gotta get back to work.

Send it.

clarkbrother

Wait... I'm thinking.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance. I sent the manuscript. I'll let you know what happens.

Phoenix Fury

From the ashes, baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Same response here, and the same reaction when I heard others got the same one! But as you all point out, a non-rejection is far better than the alternative.

Phoenix Fury

From the ashes, baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone ever hear back from him? If so, how long did it take?

Arquebus

Registered
Reaction score
I queried him January 11, January 21 I got "Unfortunately you've caught me at a time when the demands of my current clients leave me with very little time to devote to developing new talent..." Polite, good turnaround, IMO.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I queried him January 11, January 21 I got "Unfortunately you've caught me at a time when the demands of my current clients leave me with very little time to devote to developing new talent..." Polite, good turnaround, IMO.
Oh, bummer.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I got the same thing back in November.

Phoenix Fury

From the ashes, baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...and I'm still waiting to hear on my partial, despite a polite follow-up. Has anyone gotten an offer (or request for full) after a couple of months...in which case no news would be good news, I guess?

Last edited: