Another hello from England!

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm another mum with young children who writes when the kids are at school/preschool.

I'm near the end of the second draft of my Young Adult historical, set in the north of England in the reign of Henry VIII. I'm hoping to run it past a couple of my beta readers by Easter, before going off and writing the whole thing again!

Looking forward to talking writing with people on here.

Ellen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm another mum with young children who writes when the kids are at school/preschool.

Haha! I think we need a sub-forum! Welcome.

I have to admit, lately I am writing just as much when they are home, pestering me for something to eat. It's like reading a novel. Can't seem to put it down.

Good luck with your book.

What exactly is a beta reader? I've seen that phrase several times on this forum but never been able to figure it out.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Me neither. But if they convince you not to publish, does that make them a beta blocker? ;)

And welcome to the forum, SpinningWheel!

Aardvark

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from another English parent newbie. Have you worked out what happened to all that free time before kids? I haven't.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ellen.
Yes, when mine's going well I go mysteriously deaf to the cries of 'Mummeeee! Mummeeeeeeee!' The end of my first draft was written with 3 children in the house. I do a fair bit when I've just got my three year old at home but he's quite easy-going, luckily.

Beta reader just means someone who reads an early version to give feedback. I think it comes from beta testers in the software industry.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome SpinningWheel! I was fortunate enough to be stationed in England (RAF Croughton) back in the 70s/80s. I loved it! See you 'round the boards.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
I had just left your thread, and saw a thread in the "Hands-on" forum (arts and crafts) about spinners. Judging only from your "name", I thought you might be interested in that thread.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I had just left your thread, and saw a thread in the "Hands-on" forum (arts and crafts) about spinners. Judging only from your "name", I thought you might be interested in that thread.

Thank you! Yes, I am interested - I have a spinning wheel and some drop spindles, I will have a look over there later. I wasn't expecting to find spinners on here - I just chose the name because I like the double meaning of spinning a yarn.

Glad you liked England :) I've never been to Wyoming but I do have a dear friend who teaches in the University of Wyoming.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi SpinningWheel!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I am interested - I have a spinning wheel and some drop spindles, I will have a look over there later. I wasn't expecting to find spinners on here - I just chose the name because I like the double meaning of spinning a yarn.

Glad you liked England :) I've never been to Wyoming but I do have a dear friend who teaches in the University of Wyoming.

Bolding mine. Now THAT'S a great idea!

It's a small world, when a tiny state like mine can find some connection to someone somewhere else in the world! I graduated from UW. Neato!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Good luck with your YA historical. That's an interesting time period.