Guy on reddit claims to make $1k a day on amazon and never did any advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aylaa

Uncharacteristic is my character
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/m2ejo/broke_1000_in_one_day_for_the_first_time/

sounds legit, said self pubbing is just a numbers game. Most people shopping on amazon for a ebook are impulse buyers, so blogs and other forms of social media are a waste of time. His 80 titles published in less then a year sounds kinda scrubby tbh, but whatever works apparently is the correct avenue.

reading this made me lose some faith in selfsub.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
80 books ranging from 10 pages to 300 pages, in multiple genres...

Claims are easy to make, I would like to see proof. At this rate, he would beat out Hocking and then the big 6 will come looking for him.

He does have a point though, he has a lot to offer with 80 titles. He also feels the $2.99 pricing sells more than his 99 cents books. Hmmm.

Not sure I am buying this...

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
I'm sorry, I don't buy it. And I'm all for self-publishing, getting ready to do it with some of my own projects, so this isn't from the vantage point of trying to dismiss this sort of thing as impossible. I'd love for it to be!

But I just can not for the life of me figure out any scenario in which him staying anonymous makes sense. What does he POSSIBLY have to lose by using his real name or linking to his actual author pages? At the very least it'd drive a bunch of strangers to his pages and add to his 'impulse sales'. By posting this claim at all, he's already opened himself up to questioning or accusations of falsehood, so what difference if he does it under his real name or anonymous? Why on earth would he not want any free publicity he could arrive at?

I can understand his perspective that social networking is a waste of time - if you're doing it for the sole purpose of promotion. But if you're already doing it somewhere like reddit, why wouldn't you have a link ready to go for the curious to check out some of your work? Sorry, makes no sense to me.

EDIT: Okay, read some more, and kneejerk reactions aside....I'm torn. On the one hand, he does have some valid points and thoughts, and I will concede that maybe he just doesn't want to be famous or the next 'Amanda Hocking success story'. But on the other hand....he says he's put out 80 books in 8 months. He clarified that only five of those are full length novels, the rest are shorts, collections of shorts, picture books, etc. Now, I consider myself to be a very fast, very prolific writer who writes pretty decent quality first drafts. And I've written five books so far this year, full length novels. No way could I put them up on Amazon as is though.

And that's my big thing. The heart of his assessment of his success is him saying that most self-pubbed stuff out there is crap, so if you're good, you're bound to stand out. He says quality is its own promotion. But by his own token, he admits to never having hired a copy-editor, and he's shoveling five novels out in eight months, along with seventy five other short stories, collections, nonfiction books and picture books.....

I guess to me, the question is....his business strategy ultimately boils down to: put out quality work and the rewards will come. If he's reaped this kind of success by just churning out his work and putting it up without professional editing or covers or spending time on any kind of revisions, then I just can't understand why he wouldn't make the logical leap at any point to slow it down, take time to revise some work, spend some money on an editor and cover artist, and see what kind of sales THAT level of quality drives his way. By his own admission, he's been making thousands a month for months now, and he could do absolutely nothing for the next few months and still draw massive sales. He doesn't need to keep up his pace of output to keep his sales going, so....its just bizarre to me that he's spent all this time strategizing and yet doesn't do the single most obvious thing.

*Shrugs* But hey, if he's on the level, more power to him. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm currently following 36 of my own works on Amazon Kindle. I promise you that the quality is there.

I'm not seeing anything like sales that would equal $500/day.

Most self-pubbed stuff out there is crap. The big question is how anyone is going to find the good stuff. There just isn't a mechanism yet.

Last edited:

KalenO

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm currently following 36 of my own works on Amazon Kindle. I promise you that the quality is there.

I'm not seeing anything like sales that would equal $500/day.

Most self-pubbed stuff out there is crap. The big question is how anyone is going to find the good stuff. There just isn't a mechanism yet.

Well to be fair, he does have some interesting ideas about targeting the lists/genres that are underrepresented, so it takes a lesser amount of sales to break into the higher rankings. But according to him the vast majority of his profit is from short stories with a sweet spot of the 2.99 price point, which is counter to what pretty much everyone else says, so its hard to take an anonymous account at face value there.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually seen discussions on another board supporting the 2.99 thing... not that there are more sales, but that the higher royalty on the higher price more than make up for the fewer sales than books at the 0.99 point.

Also, considering I've seen "backlist" as the way to make money in ebooks (new releases encourage readers to look at your old releases) his 300 titles probably are working in his favour.

Since I suspect that many of the "impulse" buys go into libraries and virtual TBR piles without ever being read, his books can be total fucking crap and still sell.

Even with all that, I still think $1K has to result from some pretty generous rounding.

Misfit

Registered
Reaction score
My head hurts after only reading half of that.

The guy seems very candid with the information he's giving out. Regardless of whether I agree with what he's doing, he's hit onto something. Like with everthing else, it's all about exposure.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Sales come from 5 things:

1. Cover
  2. Description
  3. Ranking
  4. Title
  5. Reference
Notice I didn't put "content".

Anything I say about this is just going to be flamebait, so I'll let the comment stand on its own.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Sales come from 5 things:
Cover
Description
Ranking
Title
Reference
Notice I didn't put "content".
It's a fair enough strategy.

You can argue that REPEAT sales and satisfied customer depends on good content. But on a planet of over 6 billion people - why would repeat sales be a factor?

Look at all that 'As Seen on TV!' crap that gets made. It's a niche strategy - give something a good sales presentation and it doesn't matter that the product itself is rubbish ... enough people will buy it that you'll make money. (For the 'As Seen on TV!' stuff it doesn't even matter if the customers instantly return it for a refund.. you've covered the entire manufacturing cost with the non-refundable Postage & Packing cost).

It's heartbreaking for those who like making good quality products to see the 'content doesn't matter' approach succeeding ... but it is just another bit of the economic ecology ...

Mac

KalenO

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm, I'd say it's counter intuitive though to list reference as a factor while disregarding content. In order for referrals to be a sales factor, you'd think it implies a certain caliber of content in order to rate a referral in the first place.

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
I don't know. Seems reasonable to me. S/He's using under-utilized categories and lots of cross-pollination with his work. Even with multiple different genres in the mix, 80 books is a nice footprint. I noticed with my own stuff that I didn't see a real spike in sales until I got to 10 ebooks. Having lots of entry points to your work definitely seems to help.

I imagine that his (or her) content is good enough, or the whole linking books to more books thing wouldn't work. But the first thing people see are the cover and the description. Those are super important.

Edited to point out: Down in the comments, he even posts a screen cap of his November sales. You can't see all of them (only about 21 books since the screen cap doesn't scroll, obviously), but with those numbers for just 6 days, it's pretty easy to see how 1k a day would be completely possible. Money adds up. I made 300+ bucks over Halloween weekend, and that was just on one book...

Last edited:

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
Would you bother to doctor a screen shot? I dunno. I don't see why he'd bother to lie and his story sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The sort of thing he's advocating is exactly what others have said. Write lots, put up a good cover, good description, rinse, repeat.

Deleted member 42

There's a known problem of people buying their own books in order to inflate sales. It's been promoted fairly widely as "good marketing."

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
This is a known thing? Who does that? I've never heard more than rumors. Seems like way more trouble than it is worth (you'd have to have hundreds of different amazon accounts, for one). Not sure how a guy sharing his numbers and strategy (complete with a screen shot) equates to "he must be lying".

I'm not saying he isn't lying. Maybe he is. Somehow though, it just doesn't seem like it would be worth the trouble to bother. Everything he talks about in his post and the comments after matches up pretty well with the experiences of others I've met (including authors I know in person and my own experiences). I guess I don't see how "hey, I'm having some success and here is how I am doing it" equates to "hey, I'm making stuff up/doing unscrupulous things". What would be the point?

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
Right, you can gift copies. To a person with a Kindle. Not to yourself. And you can only buy a Kindle book once (thank god, saved me from accidentally buying a book I already owned and forgot about a couple times, hehe).

Neither of those articles seem to say you can buy copies of your own book multiple times with the same account. The one post says it is pointless to buy copies of your book (why not just offer it for free or gift it if you want) and the other talks about asking people to purchase the book in a tight time frame to help ranking. Neither of which are buying your own book multiple times.

Again, I don't see why this reddit guy would bother lying. Or bother making almost 1500 accounts (I added up the copies sold on the screen shot posted in the comments there, it came to just over 1400 from the 21 books I could see). Seems pointless.

So yeah. Not sure I get the skepticism here, at least in that way. What would be the point in faking all that? He's even doing it anonymously, which means it can't be boosting his sales to talk about it (a notion which has already been discussed in another thread and once again I asked there what the point would be since the only people who might care are fellow writers).

Anyway. I think it's nice of the guy to post all that information (the comments, especially, lots of good answers in there and clarifications).

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
His claim is for the first time he made $1000 in a day.

It would seem that most of the value in lying would be achieved by not being anonymous wouldn't it?

If he said he wrote mostly erotica that would explain a lot about being able to price short fiction at $2.99 and have it sell, and not needing to market at all. In fact, I'd totally buy in that the anonymity made sense, and the strategy of great cover, appealing blurb, and passable (but not great) content could work.

But it's harder to make sense of it in other genres.

Isabella Amaris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
isabellaamaris.blogspot.com
His claim is for the first time he made $1000 in a day.

It would seem that most of the value in lying would be achieved by not being anonymous wouldn't it?

If he said he wrote mostly erotica that would explain a lot about being able to price short fiction at $2.99 and have it sell, and not needing to market at all. In fact, I'd totally buy in that the anonymity made sense, and the strategy of great cover, appealing blurb, and passable (but not great) content could work.

But it's harder to make sense of it in other genres.

For some reason, never thought of erotica, but this makes a whole lot of sense to me now. Especially the insistence on anonymity... Interesting. Anyway, regardless of genre, his/her points seemed sound to me from a visibility viewpoint. Good reminders for those of us *points at herself here* who're getting a bit lax with the 5 sales-boosting areas he mentions:D

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't buy it.

If this were true, he would list at least one pen name. Think about it...people would buy at least one book to see what his stuff is like. He's missing an opportunity for sales by not giving a name.

Still, he did give me an idea on something...

If he were to give a name, we could verify his claims at http://sre.novelrank.com/

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Without a name or penname I'm gonna take this with a pinch of salt.

Sadly I've seen too many authors inflate their SP sales figures for their own ends. Usually it's part of the argument to convince us all to turn to self publishing, a sort of 'look how much money I make, you should do it too.'

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly I've seen too many authors inflate their SP sales figures for their own ends. Usually it's part of the argument to convince us all to turn to self publishing, a sort of 'look how much money I make, you should do it too.'
Why do you suppose they do that? What's in it for them? Is it just a case of, "Do what I did so I can reinforce my decision and erase my doubts?" Or what?

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea if he's for real, but either way I think he's awesome!

80/20 rule...love it. Slap up 80 books in a few months time. Super! 3 drafts and ship it! No pretension here...he's not only thumbing his nose at NY, he's thumbing his nose at anyone who even has the slightest notion that their work is art. It's pure chattel.

If he is legit, he should come out in the light. What's the big secret?

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you suppose they do that? What's in it for them? Is it just a case of, "Do what I did so I can reinforce my decision and erase my doubts?" Or what?

I suspect it's part of the notion that publishers are evil and that they steal your money and will leave you a poor starving artist while they roll naked in the money that you earned. While if you SP then YOU shall be teh one rolling naked in money!

Status
Not open for further replies.