Share Your Successes!

in_one

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any E-publishing success stories to share?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
See the books mentioned in my sig. No, with 'The Tower' I haven't gotten many sales but it was my first shot at writing in my life so getting published was (and still is) a big deal for me.

'Demi-World' is my second and it's only been on the market less than a month. I plan to get three more e-books out this year and also find an agent. Thing is, I know improvement in my writing (in all areas) is a must. I think what Nick Russell did is fantastic and I hope I'll be able to measure up to his level.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Just a small success, but my first romance novella had its first UK sale today. My theme park guide books have had some UK sales, too.

Overall, my sales are building slowly but surely. It's a process to figure out what sells and what doesn't but I'm happy so far.

lady_K

It's all about the F.A.M.I.L.Y :)
Registered
Reaction score
My horror novel is selling at a decent rate. I've had probably a few hundred sales since September. Nothing outlandish

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow is my last day at my "day job." Is there any greater success than that? :)

All thanks to e-publishing!

Very cool! Congratulations and best wishes in this new path your life is taking.

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
Very cool! Congratulations and best wishes in this new path your life is taking.

Thanks, Nick! Your story is still an inspiration for me. I can't wait to read your book (already downloaded a copy to my Kindle). Hopefully I'll have the time now that I'm done with the day job.

I'm not quite doing your numbers yet, but it looks like I'll go over 25,000 books sold this month. :) Even better, the VP of a major TV production company (three letters in their name) emailed to say he's a HUGE fan and wants to know who represents me so he can discuss adapting Wool for a television series.

My expectations are tempered; it's just awesome to have the affirmation of a few contacts/inquiries like this. I'm living in a surreal dreamland right now.

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
That is awesome, Hugh! 25,000 in a month is an amazing feat. And maybe a TV deal? Wow! Will you still remember us little people when you're rich and famous?

I was telling a friend about your book at dinner tonight and he immediately used his Droid to go to Amazon to get it.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Awesome news, Hugh! Really hope the television series comes to fruition. I'm also excited that you were able to quit your day job. You're living the dream. Enjoy it!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, going from absolutely stagnant to numerous sales, much, much better rank and three new reviews, I will count my PJ sales as much improved. If we hadn't offered periodic freebies and dumped the price down, I doubt this would have happened. We'll be posting a free download prequel story to the book in the very near future. The hardback, as gorgeous as it is, has just tanked with no takers. E-books are just smothering print at the moment, particularly in the most popular genres.

Nick and Hugh, you guys are just awesome!! One day, I hope to be in such ranks as yours.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
My sales aren't even close to Nick's and Hugh's; however, I'm really happy with how things are progressing and the number of downloads for e-books and sales of paperback books. I quit my day job at the end of December and have not regretted it for one minute.

Shuemais

We can't always be the Batman
Registered
Reaction score
As a newbie just wading into the e-publishing pool (one title only and counting), it's nice to know that some people are having some successes. Mine's been on sale for a grand total of ~3 weeks.

I did give away over 500 copies during the free promotion a week ago, so I'd count that as a success. Free books now mean more bought copies in the future, hopefully.

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
My sales aren't even close to Nick's and Hugh's; however, I'm really happy with how things are progressing and the number of downloads for e-books and sales of paperback books. I quit my day job at the end of December and have not regretted it for one minute.

I didn't realize you'd done that. Congrats! And to hear it's going well for you! Makes me so happy.

I'm frankly terrified not to be going into work tomorrow. Your post gives me hope that things might be okay. :)

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm frankly terrified not to be going into work tomorrow. Your post gives me hope that things might be okay. :)

Hugh, if you never try, you'll never know. 13 years ago, at age 46, we walked away from a healthy business and a very comfortable lifestyle to run around the country full-time in a motorhome and publish the Gypsy Journal RV newspaper. At the time, we had friends who thought we were crazy, and told us so.

Now each one of them has said "Man, I'd give anything to have your life." Our "job" if you want to call it that, is to go the places other people go on vacation, we usually get in free because we are going to write about it, we stay longer, and we get paid for it.

A couple of weeks ago we were paddling your kayaks with the manatee in Crystal River, Florida. Last summer we spent six weeks exploring lighthouses and eating fresh seafood on the Oregon coast. Then we got a private tour of Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose, including parts of the massive airplane most people never get to see. And it's all part of our job.

But we would have never had these and so many other experiences like them if we had not taken that first step away from the security of our old lives.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Hugh, that first step feels a bit like falling off a cliff, but I've been reminded that it's not a sheer drop; there are branches and gentle landing places just inches after you take that first step. I wish you all the best.

Nick, you're so right about people's responses. Many of the friends who originally thought I was nuts are now saying they wish they could find something they love as much as I love writing.

Sometimes we spend too much time following a set of rules that we didn't make. It's good to remember that in our lives, we make up the rules.

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
Hey, I don't care if I'm crazy and this is the loony bin; I'm just thrilled to have company! It grants me courage I don't actually possess.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I assume you mean self-publishing?

Over 650 copies sold to date of my holiday short that came out in November. This number is all vendor sales combined.

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com