Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
She polishes the last of the glasses, hung in neat little rows over the bar. Checks the bottles lined up behind her, hundreds of them in all shapes, sizes, and planet of origin. Makes sure the taps are fresh and ready to go, and that the blood warmer is set to body temperature (cuz those pesky Vamps hate cold blood).

She looks at the clocks on the wall, set to every time zone (plus a few of the most well-traveled planets and alternate realities). Almost time to open.

Plenty of places to sit. Plenty of food to share. She hopes that all writers of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Spec Fic (plus anyone else who happens to swing by from time to time) feels at home. Able to let their hair down, talk about their day, and just chill. Support each other.

A bell dings. Opening Time!

So there ya have it, folks! YA has their Random Musings thread. TIO has the Landfill. They've got Sunshine Cafe's and Comedy Cabaret's, but now there's....um....this new little unnamed corner of the world.

The "must pertain to the writing of SF/F" rule doesn't apply here. It's a place for folks to be folks. Chat about your WIP, your awful day at work, how much you want a light saber of your very own. I may occasionally merge OT threads here, but for the most part, it's a safe haven for Off Topic conversation.

As for the name, I'm taking suggestions. And then there will be a poll. So far, we've got:

QUARK'S BAR
CALLAHAN'S CROSSTIME SALOON
COWBOY FENG'S SPACE BAR & GRILL
TEN-FORWARD
MOS EISLEY CANTINA

Adding:
The Prancing Pony
C.H.A.O.S. - Cantina for the Haven of Aliens and Other Species
Chaos Alternate Parallel Future Spec World. CAPFSW
The Black Hole
The Restaurant at The End of [The Universe] [Cyberspace] [The Interwebs] [The Internets]
Fred
Ten-Backward
Ten-Posterior
Al Gore's House
Al Gore's alternative prancing posterior at the end of the black hole
Light Sabers & Magic Wands
Universal Planet
Planet Universal
Far Far Away
Once Upon A SFF
Portal 42, Destination Earth
ETA: Estimated Time of Arrival
Munden's Bar
The Bar
Watering Hole
Millenium Falcon
Centurion Hawk
Morley's
The Time Lords' Pub
The Mended Drum
Biers
C.H.A.O.S. Tavern

Mix and match 'em, or come up with something new. Let's give this new hangout a name!

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
It's almost spring! Time to sweep out the old and begin anew.

Previous portions of this thread can be found here.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*slouches in, space cowboy hat pulled down low, and buys the room a round*

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
“The philosopher Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king. Said Aristippus, "If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils."

Said Diogenes, "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”

darnit...I was backreading and had this quoted. I think it needed to be in the new thread...

Diogenes was a BAMF!

and greetings, Cantina 5.0! I am freezing. It's cold here on the Westerly coast.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
If we're on a space station of any kind, let me know and I'll pull the Ood out of storage.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
So what shall we be this time? A space station? A flying island? A rooftop dragon garden?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder about you guys, sometimes.

Can A Naughty Tribble Infiltrate New Awesomesauce

You're home, folks. Would I ever take that away from you? Huh? Would I?

Don't answer that.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
So, about classic literature.

Unless I know it touches on a theme I relate to or subject I'm interested in, I don't bother. For example if it's sci-fi, like War of the Worlds, or political like Nineteen Eighty-Four, or involves either of the two world wars (like Birdsong), I've probably read it. But Oliver Twist? Pride and Prejudice? Tom Sawyer? Nope.

I will be the first to admit that sometimes I actually skip over classics that I haven't gotten a basic idea of simply because they are classics- I tend to assume that they have survived almost entirely on their greatness and aren't likely to interest me in and of themselves.

Often I find out much, much later, on talking to someone who has actually read it and is willing to tell me what it's about, that it does involve one of those themes or interests, and then I pick it up.This is how I discovered Albert Camus, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.