Serious Newbie Advice needed

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hey all!

I've had a blog for quite a while, but it was always just a bit of entertainment for me really. Lately however, what with my book and everything I want to take it a bit more seriously, and I was curious as to well, how to do that. How does one up the traffic? And what are the sort of spoken and unspoken rules to successful blogging? I know, vast sweeping questions probably answered in a thread somewhere. I am also seriously not html educated so if there is anything fancy I should be doing please feel free to talk down to me as much as possible!

Thanks in advance! I hope I am not being out of order here, if I am please just send me to the proper place.

Fantasy9

Registered
Reaction score
No, this is the right place! Here's a link to an artice about writers and blogging. It has some pros and cons, and descriptions on what kind of writing blog you can make. As for actual advice, sorry, I'm not too good with that. ;) I just thought this link was appropriate.

http://www.internetwritingjournal.com/nov05/cew4.htm

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Aw thanks hon! I read the article, very detailed and informative. I have now bookmarked it, so I can reference it later.

Um . . . does no one else have any words of wisdom? Have I commited a faux pas in asking?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
As with any other kind of writing, the core advice is all simple. It's putting it into practice that's hard.

You are the reader's slave.

Give good value. Be useful, be entertaining, be engaged. If you're interested in things other than yourself, you'll seem more interesting. The flip side is that if you're only doing a weblog to publicize your work, your audience will be able to tell, and they'll go away. Readers have a magic ability to suss out your motives.

Blogging is like teaching. Mediocre bloggers think the readers are there to pay attention to them. Good ones know they're there to pay attention to the readers.

If you must write about yourself, be concrete and specific, show don't tell, go for stories rather than situations, narrow and sharpen your focus, and keep it as short and snappy as you can without doing damage to the fabric.

If you've got six icky things going on in your life at once, don't whine about them collectively. Pick out one or two telling details that convey the overall situation, and write briefly and interestingly about those.

If you're writing about things other than yourself, make sure they're all interesting. Sure, it's important to do frequent updates; but a missed day or two does far less harm than a boring or insincere post.

Don't write a post about why you haven't been updating your weblog lately, unless the story is compellingly interesting in its own right. The exception to this rule is that you're allowed to explain why, briefly, if you're well established and have a lot of regular readers.

Allow comments. Respond to comments. If your readers don't think you're listening to them, they won't listen to you.

Regular readers and commenters are golden. Cherish them.

Allow polite criticism. Get used to seeing it as a compliment that someone is taking the time to think about and respond to your writing or your site.

If you're got someone commenting on your site who's more interesting than you are, be grateful. A bit of the gilding is sure to rub off.

If you absolutely put your foot in it on some issue, say so. A forthright admission that you were wrong is almost always going to be an interesting and engaging piece of writing. Also? Your readers almost certainly knew it already. Spare them the strain of being polite to you about it.

Try to always have new stuff up on Monday morning. Most blog reading gets done during business hours.

If you're impressed by an article on another weblog or website, describe what you find interesting about it, and link to it. This is one of the better ways to convince other webloggers that you're worth linking to -- after all, you're perceptive enough to praise their work and link to it. Also, if someone else reads your piece and links to the same article you did, they may well give you a "via" link credit. People who find the linked-to article interesting may click on the link to your site as well, to see if you're interesting too.

If you find an interesting link via someone else's site, credit them when you use it. If they're using Technorati or IceRocket or BlogPulse to monitor links to their site, they may well come have a look at yours.

The reason you should monitor links to your site via Technorati or IceRocket or BlogPulse (or any other sites of that sort) is not to measure your own glory, but to gauge how readers are reacting to the various things you write. Also, it's a good way to find other congenial weblogs.

If you aren't reading other people's weblogs, why should you expect them to read yours?

Unless you're desperate, avoid deals where you link to a blog that'll link to anyone in return for an inbound link to yours. It will make you seem disingenuous and undiscriminating.

Be clear, be readable. Light letters on a dark background are much harder to read than dark letters on a light background. And by "dark letters on a light background," I mean black type in a good standard text face. Poor type choices, color values, and overall contrast will make it wearisome to read your text, but your readers won't perceive it as a design problem. All they'll know is that reading your text makes them feel tired.

Naming weblogs is like naming children. Don't use a name that's twee, coy, embarrassing, unpronounceable, generic, unwieldy, or pompous. While you're at it, don't use a name that suggests that you think you're exceptionally unusual, i.e. weirder than your readers. This is another one of those gaffes that will make them feel like you aren't paying attention.

Very important point: don't use cutesy headlines on your posts. Use a headline that tells what the post is about, ideally within the first 3-6 words. If people are reading you in RSS syndication, that headline is all they're going to see.

The single biggest reason people get the idea that they're not part of some weblog's audience is that the weblog tells them so. If you can avoid doing this, you'll be two or three steps ahead of the game.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I was going to post this long, drawn out thing but Hapi's post just about says it all.

The secret is not really a big secret. It's write things people who don't know or care about you will want to read. There's nothing wrong with a journal all about your trials and tribulations, but if the readers don't know you, they aren't going to care unless they get something out of it, like being entertained (or informed and entertained, like Miss Snark's blog). And if you can manage to entertain them to the point where they not only want to bookmark you and come back, but they also want to tell their friends about it, you'll be in business.

I've had my current blog for almost 9 months now, and I had 348 unique visits in April of last year. In the month of May I had 109,000 visits. On an average day I have anywhere from 800 to 1100 visits, but every once in a while something I've written will get linked up somewhere and I'll have a short-term explosion of traffic. (Today, for example, I've had about 30,000 hits so far all because one post I made back in December.)

Get some sort of statcounter thing that'll tell you where your hits are coming from, and it'll really help you understand your readers.

Growing a thick skin helps, too.

Hey look, I ended up being long and drawn-out anyway~

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Not drawn out at all. Very informative. Can I ask where you collect your stats? I'm with blogger and it tells me how many people have visited the blog but it updates like once a month (I can say I have nowhere near your numbers! Will you be my mentor?) Oh and how do you put a picture in where your title goes? Something html-y but what is it and where do I put the code specifically? You can PM me if this is getting a little dull for the general public.

By the way love your avatar, how frustrated do I feel still not having seen that film!!! Hopefully next week.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
It's a great movie. I was lucky to see it a couple months ago, and I still can't stop thinking about it. It was easily my favorite film of '06.

I use statcounter. www.statcounter.com. The free version counts your visitors and gives (very) detailed stats on your last 100 visits, like what pages they visited, where they clicked from, what search term they used if they came from a search engine, where in the world they're from, what they're wearing, stuff like that. The info on how to add the code is on the site and in the user forums.

As for putting a header in blogger, see this link. If it doesn't work, make sure you read the comments.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hey thanks for all the help! I did the statcounter thing, so let's see if it works. I looked at the instructions for the header thing but I don't have an 'Edit Layouts" to go to. I noticed you mentioned it was Blogger Beta and it looks like Blogger isn't doing that anymore. I is confused.

PS: thanks for posting a comment by the way!

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I have about 1500 - 2000 visitors daily. It took almost two years to get this far. To bring in the traffic I post almost every day and take part in lots of shameless self promotion. I also visit other blogs and forums and post in the comments. It also helps to give your readers a topic they're not going to find anywhere else. When I started blogging, I was the only (that I know of) blog offering daily leads. Now they seem to be popping up everywhere. Thankfully, I built up traffic and a loyal readership.

I also offer fun challenges, contests and have "Pay if Forward Tuesday" where I plug other blogs and long as they take the time to pay it forward by plugging another blogger. I think it keeps people interested instead of just listing boring leads every day. Just keep them interested and they'll stay with you.

There's really nothing else I can say that hasn't been said. It takes time, don't give up!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Rhymer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Toothpaste,

If you want to learn how to be a professional blogger go check out Problogger's blog, it's full of information. Also as well as having a site counter you can also add a cluster map which will tell you how many visitors you are receiving and exactly where they are from, and it's updated daily. I love the cluster map. Here's the URL: http://clustrmaps.com/index.htm

Good luck with your blog!

Christy:Sun:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Aw thanks Rhymer, I will check out that blog (I am assuming if I google Problogger I'll find it?). I'm using Statcounter (thanks to XThe NavigatorX) and they tell me where in the world people are coming from, so I'm good for that. It's really fun isn't it!

Odile

Registered
Reaction score
Hi toothpaste,

I visited from the Netherlands :). I also have some advice to increase traffic: I have special interests, so do you. So let's say if you like painting, you add a 'tag' and 'delicious' button on your browser toolbar from "delicious" to collect links to sites on your favorite topic painting. There you can through the labels you give to your sites find similar site links that are collected by others, e.g. on painting, drawing, and sculpture. This way you quickly find a lot of blogs who have similar interests. You can post there and leave your blogname. Both the owner of the other site and the readers now come to visit. Sometimes only once, but because of the common interest, they want to stay in touch, in case you write something they might learn from you.