The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Jenna...

Thank you, Jenna. I was trying to delete my post at the same time you were deleting it. I shouldn't have quoted the original post. I didn't think about it at the time.

Posting someone's personal info is highly inappropriate. I'm glad it was removed.

Nancy

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Let's just summarize it like this...

...and move on. This thread is used to detail information about PublishAmerica, the most bottom feeding publisher in the entire world. And sure, in the process of producing that information we have fun at times, horse around, and there's nothing wrong with that. A little levity can actually help sell the point sometimes better than recitations of facts can - it takes both to effectively get the word out. On the other hand, there's lots wrong about detailing out someone's work information here. Paula did nothing to warrant that - think what you will about the pic she's posting on the PA boards, it still doesn't warrant us displaying her work information. That's plain wrong, and does nothing to help the cause we're championing...

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Phooey. I trust Sheryl to be a faboo spokesperson, too, but I just heard from the reporter and she's not in the right area.

"We cover the entire Delaware Valley which includes not only the Philadelphia, PA area, but also South Jersey and the Wilmington, Delaware region."

PLEASE write to me if you're in any of those areas! My e-mail is jg @ jennaglatzer.com (remove spaces).

dang... and I'm just south of Pittsburgh.

can't really do THAT commute, ya know?

come on, folks... there's got to be someone else in that area...

:hi:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
No prob. That was way over the line.

And now I'm closing this thread for 10 minutes so people will read my post before it gets lost in the hyper-speed posting!

I am looking for PA authors, ex-PA authors, and author advocates who are willing to be interviewed to speak out against PA on-camera for TV stations.

Currently, I am looking for people in the following areas:

- Delaware Valley, which includes the Philadelphia, PA area, South Jersey and the Wilmington, Delaware region.

- All of Washington state

PLEASE write to me if you're in any of those areas! Pass this message to others you think might be interested. My e-mail is jg @ jennaglatzer.com (remove spaces).

ALSO...

No matter where you live (as long as it's in the US), if you are a PA or ex-PA author willing to speak out about your experiences, please e-mail me. All I need from you is your e-mail address and where you live. Include your phone number or website address if you like, but it's not necessary.

I'm going to make a list so I can refer to it every time a media outlet contacts me. This way, I'll know exactly where I have "spokespeople" and where I don't.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
OK, ya buffoons, I opened it back up. ;) But that doesn't mean it's time to stop contacting me! I've heard from very few people. Please don't be shy. Don't think that you're not a "good enough" example... if you're unhappy with PA, you're a good enough example! All I'm looking for is people who can speak about their own experiences and talk about what PA does that's harmful, or different from what you expected (like-- they don't get books into bookstores, they overprice the books, they don't edit, etc.).

Write to me, tell me where you're from, and become a hero. :)

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Ed WilliamsOn a much more serious note said:
Maybe they will sell PA to Travis Tea. I saw him again today. He was getting gas in front of me and Elvis was the gas jockey. When I got out and walked over to them I heard something about writing a biography. I think Travis is going to write Elvis's biography.

On a serious note. I think we should all get together and buy PA if they sell it. Just think how rich we could become.:ROFL: Show them how a real publisher should do things.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*pant, pant* We can post again? Whew, that was close. I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms: sweaty palms and thoughts of Jaws wearing Jim's undies. Yeesh! *shudder*

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
AnneMarble said:
I know of authors (published by major NYC prseses) who often give away copies of their own books to fans. Most of them see it as a form of marketing. For example, they'll run a contest, announcing it on various and sundry lists, give away free copies of their books (and sometimes other things as well, such as gift baskets) to the winners, announce the winners on-line, and then maybe even ask the fans who entered if they want to get their newsletter.
I run a regular contest on my website with book giveaways. For The Burning Land I'm still working off the publisher's freebies, but once those run out I'll buy a case at my author discount (50%, I think). It's a form of self-promotion, and also lets me get/keep in touch with readers. I also like to have copies on hand to give away to family and friends and nice people I meet who express an interest.

Another difference between commercially published authors who occasionally buy their own books and PA authors: The commercially published authors don't re-sell the books. In fact, they're forbidden to do so by their contracts. Commercial publishers usually have clauses in their contracts specifically prohibiting authors from re-selling books.

- Victoria

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
*pant, pant* We can post again? Whew, that was close. I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms: sweaty palms and thoughts of Jaws wearing Jim's undies. Yeesh! *shudder*
I know Cao. I let Jenna know this as well.

Jenna, if I didn't like you so much I would send the cops to your house. Cruel and unusual punishment is illegal you know. I think I will print off this page and circle the spot where you said you were shutting us down for ten minutes. I will then circle the post where you opened it back up. That was longer than ten minutes. I will keep it just in case I need to send it to the police. Maybe they can come by in the middle of the night with the evidence in hand like they did with me, tell you to "get things right" with me in a week or they will arrest you for deceptive practice.

I'm watching you girlie.:Wha: :wag:

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
dang... and I'm just south of Pittsburgh.

can't really do THAT commute, ya know?

come on, folks... there's got to be someone else in that area...

:hi:

So, I guess asking you to move would be taking it too far, huh? :gone:

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Kevin Yarbrough said:
On a serious note. I think we should all get together and buy PA if they sell it. Just think how rich we could become.:ROFL: Show them how a real publisher should do things.

They'll overprice it by at least 5,000,000... they seem to like overpricing things by 5s, you know.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
:scared:

*hides under bed*

there has GOT to be someone here from Pennsylvania more versed than I am in such things as public relations...

*sound of crickets chirping*

anyone?
anyone?
Bueller?

:faint:

Hey, Diana, where are you?? You'd be great for this. Me, I live in this market, but a) I'm not a PA author, and b) I'm still not all that mobile.

The whole Uncle Jim underwear thing - reminds me of a Barq's commercial. The guy who says he's clairvoyant?

Boxers? Briefs? Commando?

Last edited:

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If we buy it, I will not be the new Moe-randa! lol

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Kevin Yarbrough said:
I think I will print off this page and circle the spot where you said you were shutting us down for ten minutes. I will then circle the post where you opened it back up.

:D Sorry. The power got to my head. I kind of enjoyed thinking about all the people trembling and sweating, waiting for me to reopen the thread.

I'm still amazed that so few people have written to me. Why, people, why? Is it a fear of PA? A fear of going on camera? Still thinking you're not a good enough example? 'Splain this to me so I can tell you how silly you are and that you should write to me immediately.

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Spell Check

KellyS. said:
I think I remember you now. Did you start a post about it that turned into a huge argument? I'm racking my brain as to who was your main opponent. Did Kevin jump in on it?
KellyS.

Hopefully Jenna won't shut things down before I repost this.

Yes, that was me. My main opponents were Amo, Kevin and HB. Funny thing was, none of us were on the same side on that two-sided argument. It was really quite funny.

And Kevin, no need to apologize. I think you and I have paid penance for our past mistakes.

C. James

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Come on people, HELP Jenna

JennaGlatzer said:
I'm still amazed that so few people have written to me. Why, people, why? Is it a fear of PA? A fear of going on camera? Still thinking you're not a good enough example? 'Splain this to me so I can tell you how silly you are and that you should write to me immediately.

To show everyone I'm not afraid, I sent Jenna an email. I'm afraid to speak out in front of 10 or more people :faint:, I'm willing to talk to a reporter about my experience. So come on, send her an email and tell her you'll help out.

Let's send Jenna so many emails that her server shuts down due to too many emails.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
JennaGlatzer said:
:D Sorry. The power got to my head. I kind of enjoyed thinking about all the people trembling and sweating, waiting for me to reopen the thread.

Jenna, I think it's just finding someone who lives in the area. If you would do it in Texas I think you would have plenty of willing people...location, location, location... :Sun: :wag:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's still early, Jenna. Give the folks who log on after supper a chance to reply.

(Guys -- if you've never dealt with the media -- they're really good at making talking with them a painless experience. They put you at ease. The consumer advocates are friendly, compassionate, charismatic, and professional.)

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
KellyS. said:
If we buy it, I will not be the new Moe-randa! lol
Who will be the new Moe-randa? And for that matter, the new Larry and, God forbid, Curlem? Should we hold elections, with promises to the winners that we'll change their names and won't do evil things to them? ;)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
No matter where you live

Ah! But Mem, there was this part of my post:

No matter where you live (as long as it's in the US), if you are a PA or ex-PA author willing to speak out about your experiences, please e-mail me. All I need from you is your e-mail address and where you live. Include your phone number or website address if you like, but it's not necessary.

I'm going to make a list so I can refer to it every time a media outlet contacts me. This way, I'll know exactly where I have "spokespeople" and where I don't.

--
When I did this with my NBC affiliate, it was quick, painless, and even fun. Low-key. Just the reporter and a cameraman, and they came to my house.

I plan to continue contacting media sources, and it'll help me if I know I have a few good "spokespeople" in an area to recommend to the reporters. Otherwise I run into situations like the one we're in right now: two reporters ready to do the story, but they can't do it unless we find them some local people to interview.

Remember that it's not live TV, so you don't have to worry about saying anything "stupid." It all gets edited (unlike PA books. Ba dum bum, ching!).

Status
Not open for further replies.