Status
Not open for further replies.

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
In a book I recently published, the main pov is a male character but there were a few scenes that I had to switch the pov to another character because it gives crutial information that the main character could not possibly know. I mainly used 2 but there could be one or two other characters with a minor pov. The story teller actually lives in the clouds, sees all and knows all but focuses mainly on the main character.

My agent wanted me to change everything to the main character's pov but I explained that to her and didn't make the changes except for one which I used as his imaginating how someone would do something. I learned its about give and take, can't take all and can't give all. If you have an editor for this book, ask him or her what they think. To me, 8 povs don't sound like too many if it pushes the story along and doesn't confuse the readers. Thought I would help out too. Good luck with the writing!

Amber

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay - I have my chapters kind of divied up and this is kind of the break down in the numbers and % the total book each character will have in their POV

Phnor – 12 Chapters – 32%
Alycia – 9 Chapters – 24%
Blayn – 8 Chapters – 21%
Davoren – 5 Chapters – 13%
Hok – 3 Chapters - 8%

Now I know this does not equal !00% - but they are estimates and there is a chapter I am not counting because I may to a kind of summary in the last chapter where each character perspective (of those still living) will get visited.

So what do you think - too many POVs? Hok only have 3 chapters because he enteres the story at a bit past the halfway mark, but I think his perspective and story will be needed - especially if this goes past a single book.

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
My editor sent me my edited version of my manuscript last night and she told me when you use different POV, you have to have a scene break. She didn't say there was a limit so there probably isn't. Just as long as the reader knows where one POV ends and another begins, either by a scene break or a new chapter per POV.

Amber

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of how well it's handled. I recently bought a book where the first chapter was one POV and the second chapter was another, with a character that hadn't been introduced yet. The emotional involvement dropped to zero, and the book is still sitting on my shelf (if I had found the reciept in time, it would have been returned to the bookstore). As long as the POV characters have either been A) introduced already, and we are familiar with them, or B) the reader has already gotten involved in the plot, then it's okay.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of how well it's handled. I recently bought a book where the first chapter was one POV and the second chapter was another, with a character that hadn't been introduced yet. The emotional involvement dropped to zero, and the book is still sitting on my shelf (if I had found the reciept in time, it would have been returned to the bookstore). As long as the POV characters have either been A) introduced already, and we are familiar with them, or B) the reader has already gotten involved in the plot, then it's okay.

This brings me to my next problem. I am rewriting the first chapter so that it introduces fewer characters. We see PoV for ch.2 get off the bus and walk away from the main characters, but she doesn't come join the conversation. Her name is introduced in ch 1 and we get a glimpse of her, but I'm guessing that's not enough, from your comments about the book you just bought. Any suggestions?

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
My editor sent me my edited version of my manuscript last night and she told me when you use different POV, you have to have a scene break. She didn't say there was a limit so there probably isn't. Just as long as the reader knows where one POV ends and another begins, either by a scene break or a new chapter per POV.

Amber

I always have a scene break--yay, I'm doing SOMETHING right. I use the asterisk method: *** and start with the new PoV's name so the reader knows whose it is.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com

Or, of course, you can switch POV in the middle of a scene without a pause or a scene break or a new chapter.

This sort of POV switch can be done seamlessly, and it's a joy to watch.
It can also be done clumsily. It often is.

But it's one of the standard techniques in the toolbox.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Phnor – 12 Chapters – 32%
Alycia – 9 Chapters – 24%
Blayn – 8 Chapters – 21%
Davoren – 5 Chapters – 13%
Hok – 3 Chapters - 8%

... So what do you think - too many POVs? .

I don't see a problem with the distribution of POVs, as such.

Couple questions do arise.

-- Does the reader commit to all three leading characters?
Does 1/5 or 1/4 of the story provide sufficient time to make Blayn, for instance, a whole and memorable 'person' ... or do we end up with a cast of minor characters?

-- Do each of the three lead characters have a 'story arc' in the book?

(If we're in a character's head for a good long time, we want that character to grow and change and face challenges and find a resolution.
Do you have three complete and satisfying 'stories' for your three main characters?)

-- Are we losing the emotional impact of the story as a whole because, at any given time, one or more of the three major characters have their heads in a place that does not mesh well with the emotional level of the main story arc?

-- Will the reader, having identified himself with one character, be dissatisfied when that character is dropped for three or four chapters and a second and then a third character walk on stage?

-- Going back to story arcs ... can you keep all three of your main story arcs going for the whole book while you switch from character to character? If you put emotional problems of one character's story on the back burner for 30,000 words, will they still be boiling when you return to them?

-- Because ... finally ... the main question is ...
What is the basic purpose of the divided POV?
Why is this a better way to tell the story?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.