• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Roval Publishing

CaliGirl85

Anyone ever heard of Roval Publishing? If so, thoughts? I can't find any information about them out there and I'm wondering if they're a trustworthy publisher, a POD publisher, etc. Thanks!

CaliGirl85

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Roval Publishing is, based on my reading of their Marketing Guide (a free download at Lulu.com) an utter waste of time and money.

They have one book published so far, and they've printed it via Lulu. What the foo the author needed them for, I don't know. He could have saved himself some time, money, and mockery by going to Lulu directly.

Back to their marketing guide: They sell bunches of services.

These include business cards at $79 for 150, bookmarks at $79 for 100, and postcards at $199 for 100.

They'll send spam e-mail at $995 plus $495/month for a half-a-million addresses.

Wait, there's more! If you manage to sell 3,000 copies of your Roval book (and, at the same time, the Devil goes ice-skating and you have to carry an umbrella because of the flying pigs) they'll become your agent! That's right, they'll make sure a legitimate publisher picks up your book and they'll do it for free!

These guys are, in my opinion, somewhere between clueless and scum. Stay very far away.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Jim,

Were you aware that the bulk of the text used to sell their book review service came from here and here?

I didn't download the entire file, so perhaps he acknowledges sources - as this site did. There is no evidence of that in the preview.

Then perhaps he considers it fair use, or simply homage. Oy.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Jim,

Were you aware that the bulk of the text used to sell their book review service came from here and here?

I didn't download the entire file, so perhaps he acknowledges sources - as this site did. There is no evidence of that in the preview.

Then perhaps he considers it fair use, or simply homage. Oy.

So this other book has possible links to plagiarism too? Ouch. Only two known books associated with Roval: one plagiarized unpublished book, and one lulu-published book that, from evidence seen so far, is possibly plagiarized.

Not a good record, even for POD self-publishing vanity operations.

Last edited by a moderator:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that's what you were saying here. So, then, what are you saying? I'm completely confused. :Shrug:

I was referring to the Marketing Guide that Jim was talking about. That book is essentially an ad for Roval's services.

The other book, as far as I'm aware, is a book by a marketing professor (also a priest, apparently), and I have no reason to believe that book contains any plagiarized material. The author may come to regret his choice of publisher, but I certainly don't mean to cast any aspersions on him for I see no evidence that he's done anything wrong.

I can see how it's easy to be confused as there are two titles for sale - one called Responsible Marketing and the other called Marketing Guide.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I was referring to the Marketing Guide that Jim was talking about. That book is essentially an ad for Roval's services.

The other book, as far as I'm aware, is a book by a marketing professor (also a priest, apparently), and I have no reason to believe that book contains any plagiarized material. The author may come to regret his choice of publisher, but I certainly don't mean to cast any aspersions on him for I see no evidence that he's done anything wrong.

I can see how it's easy to be confused as there are two titles for sale - one called Responsible Marketing and the other called Marketing Guide.

He just linked to the wrong book. Perhaps you could have corrected his link the first time?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
While the fellow who wrote Responsible Marketing may (and bloody-well ought to) come to regret his choice of publisher, it's the publisher itself and its Marketing Guide that I want to look at.

Look at some of their services and prices:

Placement in Distribution Channel.....$495
+10,000 online bookstores
+ includes Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Baker and Taylor, Borders

That's Lulu's distribution package (though I'm not 100% sure Roval knows what Baker and Taylor is), with a bit of a markup included. Lulu charges $150 for the ISBN and distribution. The other $345 is pure profit for Roval for doing zero-point-no work.

Let's see, what else does Roval offer?

Author Signing Event...... $1,495
4 to 6 month turn around

Wow. For $1,495 I hope they include a limo to drive the author to the event, a big bottle of champagne, and a massage to help him relax after it's over.

Retail Store Placement ................. $1,995
6 month to 1 year turn around

Or, perhaps, the horse may talk*.

---------------------

* That's the punchline to a story.

A man was condemned to death by Caesar. He threw himself on the ground and said, "Mighty Caesar, if you will but spare my life for one year, I will teach your horse to talk!"

Caesar, intrigued, said, "Very well. You shall have the year. But if at the end of that time my horse does not speak you will surely die."

The man went off. Soon after he was met by a friend who said, "What were you thinking of? You don't know how to teach a horse to talk any more than I do."

The man replied, "That is true, but many things may happen in a year. I may die. Caesar may die. The horse may die. Or, perhaps, the horse may talk."

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I'm sure somewhere in little print there's a (per store) in there.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
While the fellow who wrote Responsible Marketing may (and bloody-well ought to) come to regret his choice of publisher, it's the publisher itself and its Marketing Guide that I want to look at.

Look at some of their services and prices:

That's Lulu's distribution package (though I'm not 100% sure Roval knows what Baker and Taylor is), with a bit of a markup included. Lulu charges $150 for the ISBN and distribution. The other $345 is pure profit for Roval for doing zero-point-no work.

Let's see, what else does Roval offer?

Wow. For $1,495 I hope they include a limo to drive the author to the event, a big bottle of champagne, and a massage to help him relax after it's over.

Or, perhaps, the horse may talk*.

---------------------

* That's the punchline to a story.

A man was condemned to death by Caesar. He threw himself on the ground and said, "Mighty Caesar, if you will but spare my life for one year, I will teach your horse to talk!"

Caesar, intrigued, said, "Very well. You shall have the year. But if at the end of that time my horse does not speak you will surely die."

The man went off. Soon after he was met by a friend who said, "What were you thinking of? You don't know how to teach a horse to talk any more than I do."

The man replied, "That is true, but many things may happen in a year. I may die. Caesar may die. The horse may die. Or, perhaps, the horse may talk."

The story goes back further than that--to the day of Daryoosh, the Shahinshah of Persia.

The thief offered to teach the king's favorite horse to sing a hymn of praise to Ahuru Mazda. The end line is pretty much the same: "Perhaps the horse will learn to sing!"

Regards,
Scott

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
The story goes back further than that--to the day of Daryoosh, the Shahinshah of Persia.

The thief offered to teach the king's favorite horse to sing a hymn of praise to Ahuru Mazda. The end line is pretty much the same: "Perhaps the horse will learn to sing!"

Regards,
Scott

Actually, it goes back further than that, and the end line was "If this mockingbird won't sing..."

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org

Ah, yes, that's why I was confused! Thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't figure out what was going on and I felt like a real idiot until you pointed that out.

CaliGirl85

Thanks

Wow! Didn't realize I'd get such a response. Thanks for all the good info!

silverjoy

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of Roval Publishing? If so, thoughts? I can't find any information about them out there and I'm wondering if they're a trustworthy publisher, a POD publisher, etc. Thanks!

CaliGirl85[/quote

So thats how the quote button works....
But Seriously, on another thread under share your work in the childrens category people were talking alot about childrens literary Agency and I wrote a message about roval publishing and xlibris giving some very good and useful info about them. I also spoke of how I went about publishing my own childrens books right down to the perfect glue binding. And it cost alot less than the print on demand and vanity publishers. If you want to know more info then let me know cause now I can't find even the post I wrote, or anything that the other people wrote about that childrens literacy agency. Does anyone know how it disappeared or how I can find it if it is still there? Well Happy Writing! God Bless

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
So thats how the quote button works....
But Seriously, on another thread under share your work in the childrens category people were talking alot about childrens literary Agency and I wrote a message about roval publishing and xlibris giving some very good and useful info about them. I also spoke of how I went about publishing my own childrens books right down to the perfect glue binding. And it cost alot less than the print on demand and vanity publishers. If you want to know more info then let me know cause now I can't find even the post I wrote, or anything that the other people wrote about that childrens literacy agency. Does anyone know how it disappeared or how I can find it if it is still there? Well Happy Writing! God Bless

They were moved here.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8286&page=10

Roval is a pay-to-play publisher and not a good option if one were to choose to use a pay-to-play publisher. A much better option would be Lulu.com.

Last edited:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Roval is a pay-to-play publisher and not a good option if one were to choose to use a pay-to-play publisher. A much better option would be Lulu.com.

Especially since they appear to use Lulu as a printer and mark their services up considerably.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I just perused this publisher's web site. They need to have a talk with their copywriter - before another POD publisher or two has a talk with them.