The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Set up another chair by the pool and get the cabana boys warmed up; we're gonna have a new friend real soon.....

Well, taking into consideration the amount of books PA releases each week, and times that by . . . say . . . 30 - 50 sales to the names we furnish on our list of 100 . . . and the number of books we sell at book signings or order for ourselves . . . that's quite a considerable amount of money PA is taking in.

Think about it. There's over 11,000 PA authors, more signing up every day, and the income numbers continues to grow for PA. Why should they do anything more than what they do? The head guys are making their money, they're content. They figure why change something that works for them.

and to follow it with the rest of it. This is a very typical picture of an author trying to convince themselves we are wrong, just before jumping ship and coming over here to the "Coast Guards of Literature. "
-----------------------------------------------

Sure they're hoping for a big "winner" from one of us to put them over the top, and I wouldn't be surprised that it happens to someone along the way. But it hasn't happened yet. Even the Jamie Farr book hasn't done it for them, the one with the most author recognition and most publicized.

It comes right back to us. Whatever happens with our books is dependent upon us as indivitual authors. And any bad-mouthing by the industry just has to be ignored. Most local book stores are really out of the loop anyway. They don't read the Washington Post or the New York Times. They only care about their book sales and not being stuck with books that don't sell.

Again, we've been published! Hooray! We're published authors. That's what we've always wanted. To hell with the name callers, the nay sayers, etc etc. They will go away eventually. As time goes on and PA grows even bigger and more reknown, it'll take care of itself. POD books are a thing of the future, we're just a little ahead of it. It's going to happen and the "traditional" will be a thing of the past.

I truly believe that. Let's leave our publisher to do their job as they see fit, and let's do the best for ourselves in marketing and whatever it takes.

Thanks, PA, for taking a chance with your money and time on my book.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Gravity said:
Of course you are free to refuse your freedom. In that case, your exclusive contract will stay in full force. As we have indicated, we are unwilling to terminate your contract altogether. Any impression to the contrary on your end would be in error.
For the record, Par. 1 of the amendment leaves the original contract date
untouched. Also, we are quite satisfied with our reputation, infantile
attempts by a small handful of professional malcontents to continue their
hate campaign notwithstanding.
Have a very nice day.

Thank you,
Author Support Team

Ya gotta love it...
"Free to refuse your freedom." Artful. Geez, that's the same old cut 'n paste I've seen several times now. Don't you love the way they make it sound like you're idiotically turning down the offer of a lifetime?

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...
www.publishamericasucks.com, The Tour

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
~~why change something that works for them (PA). ~~

And THAT, PA authors, is the quicksand that you and I sink lower into everyday!
They (PA) choose not to change one thing they do!

As a business owner, I can say that "changing", modifying, accentuating, improving...is vital...not only to the success of the bottom line but FOR the continued goodwill of the customers!
We ARE NOT PA family members! PA doesn't have the right to send us to our rooms with out supper or ground us because we were naughty!
We are clients, consumers, and investment potential for PA! THAT"S ALL!

If you go to your bank and ask to look in your safety deposit box, the bank rep won't say.."It's none of your business what's in there."

If you have a lunch order goofed up, the server won't say..."Well, that's YOUR fault... you didn't read the menu (contract) right. Just because it says "Tomato Soup" doesn't mean it's HOT Tomato Soup.

If you have a travel agent accidentally send you to Little Rock instead of a trip of a lifetime to Paris, I seriously doubt that he/she would say..."Don't take that tone with me!"

Now, perhaps these examples are trite, but successful business models value the people who make their businesses successful.

~~why change something that works for them (PA). ~~ You ask?

Nuf said!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
The Infocenter retort:

Well, crowd, let's see what is going on here. What exactly are we talking about, the occasional elite newspaper that doesn't like a David publisher taking on the Goliath publishing powers that be, or the numerous local papers that are praising our authors every day?

For the record, we spoke with the NYT reporter for more than an hour. We covered all bases with her. But she wasn't interested in all bases, she had her mind already made up, so she gave PA four hatchet-job paragraphs, and turned the rest of her story into an infomercial for pay-to-publish vanity outfits. We bet that most people didn't even notice that PA was in it.

PA is not fighting hard enough? Last time we checked what's going on on Main Street, we were fighting quite well, thank you.

*Each day we are sending out roughly forty news releases to local papers, about our new authors and our new books, so far more than three thousand this year.
*Each day our authors or their books are featured in local news media from sea to shining sea. You know, the media that the real people read, watch, and listen to.
*We have hired PR staff that is doing nothing but talking to serious media and telling them the real story about PublishAmerica and its amazing crowd of authors: you may expect the announcement of a surprise news story soon, in a surprise media.
*Those PR efforts are working: word of mouth is spreading so fast and wide that now, each day, a record 125 new authors knock on our door seeking to join you as a PA author. That's a serious gauge of how immaterial the negative stuff really is.
*Also as a result of our PR, we have been selling more books than ever before in our history, thousands each day. March was an all-time record month.

Let's keep this stuff in perspective. While less than flattering reports have been written by, what, maybe five, six reporters in all, who rehashed the same crap fed to them by the same small band of professional malcontents, an estimated more than one thousand positive features, interviews, and reviews have appeared all over the fruited plain, county by county, and that's this year alone.

See, some of you spend half your lives on the internet, and if that's your main source of information, yeah, then anything goes. There's a lot of BS out there, hate has found a new home in cyberspace. But most normal people don't live that way, and they don't judge others by nonsense on the Web where the law of the jungle reigns. Therefore, we don't focus on web nonsense, nor on the opinions of a few biased reporters.

What we do spend time on is expanding our relations with retailers, for example.
*As we speak, a top PA delegation is in Seattle finalizing a marketing issues agreement with Amazon.
*As we speak, we are negotiating availability improvements with the nation's top wholesaler Ingram and its printing daughter Lightning Source in Tennessee.
*As we speak, we are serving Barnes and Noble's need for PA books at sales and quality levels that we had never reached before, all over the country.

Now that's the kind of fighting that we all want to see, right? It is the kind of fighting that you might expect from a publishing family that is rocking the boat and making waves. Yes, we have critics. How could we not have them? We are the David who has opened the gates of what used to be elite territory. We are championing the underdogs. You, our authors, are putting an end to what used to be literary Apartheid. You did not pay a penny to walk through the gates, and now you are published authors, the peers of entrenched power. Of course Goliath fights back. They don't want you to be their peers. They won't tell you that, though -- they will say that they don't want your publisher. But it is you that they are after, and you -- that is whom we are fighting for.

Everyone knows the final outcome. The Goliath elite will be beaten, not by our slingshot but because we are darfing them.

And that, friends, is the real story of what's going on.
I'm really at a loss for words...

Rob

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
So THAT'S How They're Going to Do It

Infocenter said:
Message: Everyone knows the final outcome. The Goliath elite will be beaten, not by our slingshot but because we are darfing them.
Help! Help! I've been darfed!!! :faint: Someone call a medic!

Does anyone get darfed in Atlanta Nights?

Kris

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Ah, you beat me to it, Rob. Infohelmet strikes again. I almost shot iced tea out my nose.

Guys, there's nobody nowhere doing nothin. No delegation. All the PA people are sitting in the townhouse, counting their money and laughing.

Wonder how long it took them to come up with the "David v Goliath" analogy??

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
From PA land...

"As much as I would like the support of a "traditional publisher," it's not likely with the business operation PA runs. I have no quarrel with PA, they have done exactly what the contract spelled out and I'm grateful to have my book printed and out in the market place. I do feel PA could benefit from a staff PR person to agressively tell its story.

Putting Jamie Farr's name on its web site is not PR, it's trivial pursuit
. "

I don't think the stuff is selling over there like it used to.

tab

Dipsomaniac on the floor!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apocalypsecow.org
Christine N. said:
Ah, you beat me to it, Rob. Infohelmet strikes again. I almost shot iced tea out my nose.

Guys, there's nobody nowhere doing nothin. No delegation. All the PA people are sitting in the townhouse, counting their money and laughing.

Not to toot my own dumb horn (and I'm probably wrong), but I actually compared their tactics to D v. G a few hundred (or more) pages ago:
"Because they cannot attract enough of these types of writers, they attempt to create them by spewing forth nauseating, David v. Goliath -like propaganda." [font=&quot]http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=147083#post147083[/font]

See, guys, they do read this thread!:wag:

Last edited:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
robeiae said:
The Infocenter retort:

I'm really at a loss for words...

Rob

I'm sick that the lying scums dare invoke a religious tone. Good grief. How low can you go?

Hey, PA authors, don't forget the last time they went to media to bat for you -- NYT -- remember that? Watch your email for a special dicount to order another fifty copies.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Not only that, but then mixing it with the apartheid metaphor. Now, that was inspired, perhaps even on a Travis Tea level. I feel positively darfed.

Kris

DeePower

From the PA log head

In reaction to the NYT article PA logo head said

"because we are darfing them."

I believe that's spelled dwarfing.....

Dee

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
From Webster's Dictionary of Misspelled Words Most Frequently Missed by Publishers/Editors in Maryland....

darfing (v) Action used to defeat biblical characters by throwing misspelled words at random.

Conjugation:
I darf
I darfed
I will darf
I have darfed

Well...that clears up alot!

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
DeePower said:

Dee
\

:thankyou:LOL thank you Dee! Just imagine how that looks to the academic readers among the authors. LOL that is just sooooo typical PA!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
DeePower said:

Dee

In that case, someone should report PA to the LPA for daring to use the word "dwarfing" in vain...and incorrectly...

;)

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
OH PUHLEEZE !!

That's the biggest pile of Bullsh** I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Put up you bloated pompous ahole. SHOW ME SOMETHING besides mere words!!

Cough up some of those 40 daily press realeases !! IF you were doing one tenth of what you claim there wouldn't be such dessension in your zombie ranks.

You're poo pooing The New York Times book review ?? The NYT is the national paper of record you schmuck!! WAKE UP!! TO compare a local town paper that usually winds up under a birdcage as being the papers that people really read is so laughable I can't even begin to fathom the depths of your stupidity.
PA's name is Mud.. period.

You're selling more books than ever.. TO who?? SHOW US the data ?? What, was there another run on your authors VISA cards??

For once! Come out with some valid NUMBERS and actual facts!! your spin and vague generalities don't fly for anybody with half a brain.

What's frightening though INfo flack.. is that the majoruty of your authors will buy your trifle pablum puking response as gospel and fall on their knees thanking you for responding in their time of dire need and doubt. SICK !!

WHat's your big surprise press release!! Your buying more adspace prepping for another big Author Book Buy??

Also take your Barnes and Noble Piclkle poop and stick it where the Sun don't shine.. BARNES AND NOBLE DOESN"T CARRY YOUR BOOKS.. THAT IS THIER CORPORATE POLICY !!!! YOUR TERMS ON BOOKS SUCK !!! THAT IS WHY YOUR SALES AND PENETRATION INTO THIS MARKET IS SO DISMAL !!

If I had 13000 authors selling books to their family and friends I could tout lots of sales also. We see the real story PA INFORCENTER. Why not post your bravado back at the New York TImes if your so confident of your business model and practices. But you won't go there, will you? It's easier to throttle some uninformed authors who are askiing legitimate questions.

AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !! <<BANGS HEAD ON DESK AND POPS a tranquilizer>>

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
akaa1a said:
Ummm...
"because we are darfing them." PAIC

What the HECK does "darfing" mean? PA editing crew? Anyone?
Oh, man, I want to get darfed! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.