PAMB and its quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I really hope that author doesn't take this seriously

Remember the author who said PA rejected her second book? The wife of the sweet dear autistic husband replied to say,

You have a story to tell about your struggle finding a publisher and about how you promised your father that you would publish your second book! There is not a newspaper out there who would not want to write an article about you.

Maybe a publisher would read your article and decide maybe they would like to publish your second book for you!

... Because that's all that it takes to get a book published. The editor doesn't need to read the book or speak to the author or discuss it with an acquisitions board. Seriously, the only publishers who might jump at this opportunity will be other vanity presses.

Just be sure when you are interviewed not to use the name of your current publisher because legally that may be deemed slander.

It's slander to even mention PA? Or it's slander to say that they rejected a novel? Wait, why am I expecting this to make any sense at all?

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Is this something PA started recently? I don't remember hearing about it before, but I might have missed it.
I received a disturbing email this evening from someone in the Text Department in the email they told me that:

“Permissions:

PublishAmerica requests a copy of the expressed, written permissions you have obtained from the real-life persons you refer to or describe in your book. This permission should indicate that they are aware of what you are writing and that they permit you to print it for distribution and sale.

OR, if you are unable to obtain such permissions,

PublishAmerica requests that you revise your manuscript, and re-submit a novel that allows the book to truthfully state that "All characters in this book are fictitious, and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental."

Please contact me within one week with your plan to address these issues.”

This is utterly absurd, as PA has known from my initial query letter what my book is about, and this was never mentioned when they contracted with me to write the book, or when I submitted the final manuscript several weeks ago. I attempted to call the office, and when I did so I was told that they didn’t know the name of the person whom I received the email from, and furthermore that they would only be able to talk with me via email.

I immediately sent an email (they had emailed me 30 minutes prior) but given that it was the end of the day on Friday I’m guessing I will hear nothing until Monday. I am furious at this point, because the final manuscript of my book clearly states that ALL NAMES AND LOCATIONS HAVE BEEN CHANGED and as such there is no way which I can be held libel (yes I have spoken with an attorney). It is my sincere hope that this was just a clerical error, because there is nothing more than I can do on this front, and Publish America knew what my book was going to be about from the beginning. I’m just shocked that this is happening, I’m a published author who writes non-fiction and have my second book coming out from a different publisher in a few months and let me tell you I would NEVER be treated this way by them.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I know that many of you also write non-fiction what has the situation with PA been like for you in this regard?
There is a post after this one. I really like that guy.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'll betcha bottle caps that that new directive is tied into that Dr. Phil thingy, where the mother tried to claim copyright of the daughter's book, because said book was forecast to make three million dollars. Remember that one? That's not the only libel/slander cases that PA has seen--they've had a mess of scandals in that regard. Vic is probably the author of that piece.

Tri

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
Here's a post on the PAMB that makes me feel sorry for this particular author:

I am not only an author, but I am also a full time student; working on becoming a doctor. I have a problem and I need some advice. I have really been having difficulty trying to juggle a husband, daughter (16) and all of this. I don't know which way to go. I have undergone a lot of heartbreak to get to where I am now, but it feels like everything is suffering. I know my book is selling pretty good, because I get visits from people all over the world, but it seems with school plus trying to promote my book I'm not doing enough. Please help.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Is this something PA started recently? I don't remember hearing about it before, but I might have missed it.
There is a post after this one. I really like that guy.

Damn - that post is gone with the wind...

Of course, I can't say I'm surprised. Well, I could, but it'd be a big, fat lie.

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
I'll betcha bottle caps that that new directive is tied into that Dr. Phil thingy, where the mother tried to claim copyright of the daughter's book, because said book was forecast to make three million dollars. Remember that one? That's not the only libel/slander cases that PA has seen--they've had a mess of scandals in that regard. Vic is probably the author of that piece.

Tri

So it's only sent to those who write non-fiction?

I've done some head shakes when I see a few of them say their characters are based on real people, family and friends (use their names, too). As far as I know, those are the fiction writers, but still, could cause trouble down the road if there's a falling out between them. I remember reading in a lot of how-tos that you never, ever base one character on someone you know. Use a mix of them to create one character, or make them up.

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
Damn - that post is gone with the wind...

Of course, I can't say I'm surprised. Well, I could, but it'd be a big, fat lie.

Glad I copied it, then. She wasn't a happy camper about receiving it.

ETA: click the link and get "The topic or post you requested does not exist" Ha! Yes, it does, right over here. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Oooh, that could be it. I'd forgotten about that thingy (isn't that the Icelandic parliament :tongue).

Another possibility could be that they were worried about all those memoirs they publish. Wasn't there one memoir where the author claimed most of her family members were evil witches and warlocks or something? I'm surprised there haven't been more law suits about those books. Or maybe there have been, and we don't know.

Oh, and I thought of another one! Remember that law suit in the summer of 2006 where Rebecca Brandewyne won a suit against AuthorHouse because they published her ex-husband's "memoir" where he made lots of nasty claims about her? I'm surprised it took PA this long to think of protecting themselves from that sort of suit. Then again, we know their lawyer has been a little slow on the uptake at times.
:e2tongue:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Another possibility could be that they were worried about all those memoirs they publish. Wasn't there one memoir where the author claimed most of her family members were evil witches and warlocks or something? I'm surprised there haven't been more law suits about those books. Or maybe there have been, and we don't know.

Oh, Anne, you beat me to it! Correctamundo.

Yeah, Dave, that too. But PA doesn't read the books, remember? So now they have the authors doubling up as content editors to protect the company. Any normal editor, reading a manuscript, would flag such hot spots. At least mine did

"Chris, how dare you say such things like that about MacDonalds! Please remove such offensive accusations."

"Yezzzzz...um."

Tri

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Let's not blame Vic for specializing in real estate. How could he have known that the housing market would implode? I mean, it's not like he could have had anything to do with helping people get balloon payments on their interest rates.

Hey, just think about it for a moment. Maybe PA wants Vic to somehow figure out a way to include balloon payments in the PA prices for their books? All they need is an installment plan that lets the authors pay a token dime to have the books printed and mailed to them. Then they can pay for the books over the seven years of the contract so that by then they'll have paid oodles more than otherwise.

Wow, who would have thunk it that Vic's real estate expertise might come in so handy for handling intellectual property?

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My thoughts in RED

Dear PublishAmerica author,
Numbers: This year a record more than 5,000 new authors have been joining your ranks. Each day, more than one hundred new authors are requesting to become your peers. PublishAmerica will soon cross the mark of having three million books in print. Last week, bookstores ordered a PublishAmerica book 800 times each day! We sell a book every fifteen seconds.

Now what does all these numbers have to do with me? I'd like to see them in my royalty checks. It is "hurry up and accept any submission and not promote any of them at all"

Ninth: As PublishAmerica enters its ninth year of spectacular growth, we pledge to remain the number one traditional book publisher that offers tens of thousands of authors an opportunity to shine, by making their work available for audiences from coast to coast, at no cost to the author. PublishAmerica is in the business of realizing a writer's dream at no charge. At no one else's risk but its own, PublishAmerica has to date invested more than fifteen million dollars in producing and marketing its library of literary works, written by our legion of talented authors such as yourself.

Is the only way I can SHINE is to go broke promoting and buying all kinds of promotional material to do it? Fifteen million in marketing? When? Where? How?

Names: PublishAmerica welcomes Barbara Ann Alston who was a lead singer of the 1960s pop group The Crystals (with hits such as: Then He Kissed Me, He's a Rebel, Da Doo Ron Ron, There's No Other). Also welcome to Dave Ogilvie, author of The Golfer's Dream. He is a member of the PGA Hall of Fame class of 2005 and the 1986 PGA Golf Professional of the Year. Other new PublishAmerica celebrities include Sid Feders who won numerous Emmy's with NBC, including the Today Show, and playwright and Hollywood producer Irving Elman, whose credits include Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The High Chaparral.

Who are these people? I don't know any of them. What do they have to do with me?

Now: Let us send you an early royalty check! For those who want to have copies of their book on hand:
* if you order between 5 - 50 copies: 40 pct discount, plus we pay royalties; * 51 - 100 copies: 45 pct discount, plus we pay royalties;
* 101 or more copies: 50 pct discount, plus we pay royalties.

And here is the best news: we'll pay those royalties this month! If you order this week, we will mail your check by no later than December 31! Not a bad way to start the new year.

Oh there's the sales pitch again. Now why would I buy my own books to get royalties? Isn't that like the cart before the horse? I bought some books once, went into debt to do it. Thankfully paid off now. If someone wants a book of mine, it would be nice for the publisher to put it out there a bit more, give me a chance in bookstores instead of allowing me to to get the run around, so I might realize some real sales instead of BUYING MY OWN. =(

Phone orders only, at 301 695-1707, between 9am - 8pm EST. Offer expires Dec. 21. Sorry, fullcolor and hardcover books excluded. December royalties check based on this special offer sales only, regular semi-annual royalty statement to be issued in February.

Expires the 21st? So I have three days to come up with boo koo money to buy my books to get royalties? Hmmm... think I'll have to pass. Got kids who would like presents under the tree, not mommy's books. They've seen enough of them.

Happy holidays, Happy New Year!

Happy holidays, I suppose...

PublishAmerica Author Support Team

I really mean no offence to anyone IE PA author who may think I am a "basher". I'm proud of my book regardless, but know that it could be so much better than these little pitches I have been receiving.

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
Who the hell writes these? It's Da Do Run Run not Ron Ron. Fact check, PA, fact check! Oops, sorry, got carried away with the obvious, which doesn't live in PAland.

You should send them a note telling them to stop emailing you these or you'll report them to the spam cops.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Who the hell writes these? It's Da Do Run Run not Ron Ron. Fact check, PA, fact check! Oops, sorry, got carried away with the obvious, which doesn't live in PAland.

Um...no, actually, it is Da Do Ron Ron. The original version, anyway.

Sadly, PA is correct on that. I guess even scumbags get to be right once in a while.

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
Right. I was just doing some checking and I was wrong. Hey, I can admit that, but PA sure never does.

I still say their writing sucks. Not the writers, just PA.

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
5,000 authors last year? That's 13 a day.

Let's say they have 80 editors. That's 6 manuscripts per day an editor has to read.

Tell me again you are not a vanity press and author mill!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
5,000 authors last year? That's 13 a day.

Let's say they have 80 editors. That's 6 manuscripts per day an editor has to read.

Tell me again you are not a vanity press and author mill!

And that's if they work 7 days a week. If they do 5 days it's 19 a day. Either way - egad! :eek:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
More like a dozen "editors" or less, probably less.
Remember, each one is allowed only five to ten minutes for each review.

Can those guys read fast, or what?
Too bad they don't know how to count.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Knowing how celebrities sue each other, I'm surprised that PA even accepts celebrity books. That's a sure way to get sued. ;)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Dear PublishAmerica author,
Numbers: This year a record more than 5,000 new authors have been joining your ranks. Each day, more than one hundred new authors are requesting to become your peers. PublishAmerica will soon cross the mark of having three million books in print. Last week, bookstores ordered a PublishAmerica book 800 times each day! We sell a book every fifteen seconds.

Oh, numbers! I love numbers!

How soon are they going to cross that threshold? This year? This decade? But let's be generous: Let's say 3,000,000 books in print (or printed). They currently have 22,085 titles (per Amazon.

That's 136 copies per title.

Let's see: Bookstores ordered PA titles 800 times each day. 365 days in the year, that works out to 13 copies per title (a bit better than one a month), among all the bookstores in America.

Mom and Dad and Aunt Susie and the author's best friend from high school all special ordered!

So: They're printing 136 copies of each book, but barely a dozen are selling through bookstores: Who's buying the rest?

The authors. Vanity press, right down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.