Urgent: Making Light needs help salvaging its recent message base

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I just got emergency email from Teresa Nielsen Hayden.

Some of you will recall the Great AW Diaspora of Spring 2006 (see; see also).

Making Light, which was one of the sites where AW refugees hung out during that time, has just suffered its own data disaster. Some fried hardware at its hosting site has wiped out everything back to the beginning of March 2008. (Be very kind to Jim Macdonald. He's also one of Making Light's editors, and he may have lost a substantial amount of writing that had been saved as draft posts on Movable Type.)

Making Light's emergency operations center is at Abigail Sutherland's Live Journal, Evilrooster Crows, http://www.sunpig.com/abi.

Like the AW community in 2006, the Making Light community is trying to salvage what they can from online caches and personal stashes. They need to act fast.

Most urgently: If any of you are Making Light readers, and currently have any part of it in your browser history or RSS caches, please consider saving it and forwarding it to the salvage project.

Also: If anyone here was part of the AW cache salvage project and remembers how it was done, please write to Teresa Nielsen Hayden, [email protected], and cc: Patrick Nielsen Hayden, [email protected]; James D. Macdonald, [email protected]; Avram Grumer, [email protected]; and Abigail Sutherland, [email protected].

if anyone wants to volunteer to help, go to Evilrooster Crows and look for the current lists of what's been recovered and what needs to be recovered.

Please pass the word along to appropriate parties. And if you have another clever way to salvage ML's data, do please get in touch with them and suggest it.

Thanks.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I've emailed my husband and Zack Weinberg, who did the automated cache saving for AW before.
ETA: Zack doesn't have the final code, so we're waiting on Nathaniel being at a computer. He's at a Thing but I have interrupted. He says he can certainly try the auto-cache but doesn't know if it will work.

So! Failing that, here's how we manually save pages from cache.

Type in Making Light in a search engine (google, yahoo, etc*). You'll get something like this:

Making Light
A liberal to libertarian weblog on issues of interest to a full-time science fiction editor and part-time musician in New York.
nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/ - 152k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Then instead of clicking on Making Light, you'd click on cached.

Then you save that page (hit save page, as html). In this case what I get is this page.
Then for each link that needs saving from that page (Comments should be saved, particles don't need to be since they're links to other places, etc) you copy that link, paste it into a search engine and click cached. And save that page. etc.

ETA: Looking here, they only need caches back to March 1st. We can do that!

Alternatively if you remember any keywords from old Making Light pages, type those into a search engine and click cached. This is especially useful for any entries so old we won't get back to them in time, starting from the most recent cache.

For example, if I type in "electrons find their paths in subtle ways" Making Light I get... well, too many different hits from different places. But if I type in "electrons find their paths in subtle ways" "nielsenhayden.com/makinglight" I only get a few, so I click on "show similar pages". That gets me these caches:
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...e+ways"+Making+Light&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...den.com/makinglight"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us
...And a buncha stuff that isn't Making Light.
I know, it's daunting, but if each person claims one of these links and saves it and every relevant link from it, and posts cache links where they cannot ... explore further down that tree, I think we can do it.

You see why I hope the automatic thing will work. But it might not, so however many people can get pages saved

* Different engines have different caches. If Google doesn't have a page, try Yahoo. I think yahoo updates caches less regularly.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Shall we make another thread for actually signing up to save sets of pages? It'd be best if we don't overlap, so like, if one person volunteers for each of the links above (or one they find independently) and then posts the links that they haven't been able to explore for other people to take up, etc.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
but the threads from the past 6 months (the period from which they've lost data) are not yet there.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
but the threads from the past 6 months (the period from which they've lost data) are not yet there.
Google web archives makinglight.

I'm sorry, but I have limited connectivity and am leaving in a few days or I'd be able to help more.

There are a few web crawlers out their in cyberspace that will probably have the remainder.

Or try the meta search engines.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
godspeed on your trip.
Thank you sir.

Here are a few helpful sites: remember to google "web archives" and select the ones which are most useful.

Internet Archive

Zotero and Internet Archive join forces · Web, 85 billion pages ... The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural ...
www.archive.org/ - 28k - Cached - Similar pages
Search Engine
Web
Live Music Archive
Moving Images
Audio
Texts
by band
Upload
More results from archive.org »

Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

This is the largest web crawl attempted by Internet Archive. ... This Web archive is a collection of over 1500 sites relating to the December 2004 Tsunami ...
www.archive.org/web/web.php - 64k - Cached - Similar pages

Archives of Dead Web Pages: Wayback, Cache, and More

Lists and compares Internet current awareness services.
www.searchengineshowdown.com/others/archive.shtml - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Web archiving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Web archivists generally archive all types of web content including HTML web pages, ... Web archives which rely on web crawling as their primary means of ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_archiving - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

Technophilia: Where the Web Archives Are

Aug 27, 2007 ... Some of the most intriguing resources on the web are located in archives mdash compilations of data that in the.
lifehacker.com/software/technophilia/where-the-web-archives-are-292981.php - Similar pages

International News Archives. SLA News Division Web Site.

The Special Libraries Association News Division Web Team maintains this list of links to news archives. We do not have any special access privileges to the ...
www.ibiblio.org/slanews/internet/intarchives.htm - 82k - Cached - Similar pages

Absolute Web Graphics Archive

Features over 10000 buttons, bullets, clipart and web graphics.
www.grsites.com/webgraphics/ - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Good trip, Spooky. You've already helped.

And it' s not that dire, an update on their refugee camp ( http://sunpig.com/abi/ ) says they only need things back till March 1st.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and don't forget to google "cache" for other services that have a respository of cached web pages.

I feel terrible for them and wish I could be of more help.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand how to help, but I do have a page of cached links from my yahoo page.

If anyone can help me sort it out, I can forward what I've got, if it's needed. Sorry I'm such a dork with this stuff and can't quite figure it out on my own.

ETA: It looks like one of my cached pages is from the Moveable Type that was mentioned...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand how to help, but I do have a page of cached links from my yahoo page.

If anyone can help me sort it out, I can forward what I've got, if it's needed. Sorry I'm such a dork with this stuff and can't quite figure it out on my own.

ETA: It looks like one of my cached pages is from the Moveable Type that was mentioned...
There is a TCP/IP service for retrieving cached web pages but I don't remember the syntax. Errrr....

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, I think, but I need someone to sort of walk me through doing it a time or two, so I understand how it works, and how exactly to do it.

Sorry, I'm kind of a kinesthetic learner, I guess. :( If it's too much trouble, I can ask my husband to show me when he gets home tonight...

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm game. :)

ETA: Or not. I'm getting a java error for the chatroom. Reloading didn't help, etc. Argh. I'm such a doofus with this stuff. Better not try, or your head will explode, Shweta! If it turns out that you guys need that page, lemme know, and we can figure something else out.

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
All in one place. :D

“Where do people find the time?”
Posted by Patrick at 09:23 PM * 204 comments

I generally hate being read to, and prefer transcripts to watching video of public speakers, but this fifteen-minute Web 2.0 talk by Clay Shirky—about gin, television, the “cognitive surplus,” and the true answer to the annoying question in the title of this post—grabbed me and wouldn’t let go. (Via Warren Ellis, to whom all due props.)

Transcript here, if you really can’t deal with video. I’m currently in the middle of Shirky’s Here Comes Everybody, “a book about organizing without organizations,” which I’m finding fascinating and valuable even when I disagree. More on this later.

Open thread 106
Posted by Abi Sutherland at 04:11 PM * 183 comments