• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you know of any writers that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendaryJordan

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't read, and unless i have a real, true desire to, basically i'm not going to (that's near enough the end of it, within reason).

I want to get into writing but my question is: "Is there ever been any real-time authors that didnt actually previously read books, as in, more than 4 books?" because i feel that i can make it, and that i have a unique mind (as young and 'not so developed' as it may be), but many people have told me that i can't expect to write; without first reading... I want to know if any authors you know of have went against the odds to proove that i CAN write in a professional kind of manner without first reading a good number of books..

P.S, i have only ever read two books "Don't tell" and "The cone gatherers", but (not that it definetely matters) ive heard that whaching movies help and i've whached my fair share. From new to old, from Shawshank redemption to Wanted.

Thanks for the comments, in advance ;)

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Well, no I haven't, every authors I've ever read have expressed deep love for the written word, which is why they started writing.
If you don't read, but love movies, maybe you should consider script writing?

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I don't believe I've ever met a writer, successful or not, who was not also a voracious reader. Good writers read widely, within their genre and everything else. Good writing and bad writing - taste it all. That's just my opinion, of course. Why do you want to write if you don't read?

Carlene

LegendaryJordan

Registered
Reaction score
Well, no I haven't, every authors I've ever read have expressed deep love for the written word, which is why they started writing.
If you don't read, but love movies, maybe you should consider script writing?

Sorry, perhaps i wasn't clear..

Basically i love to write, i love to be the character and share my imagination with the reader. Writing is about expression in my eyes, that's the way i see it. You could say, I've got a bit of a talent and you would be right but just because i haven't read many books, means i can't write?

I think many writers or people on this site almost follow a system, why can't i be THE exception to writing? Surely for me to be able to write well, at such a young age, and with no experience with reading or "big writing", only makes me a better writer. In saying that, i feel as if my story is - to a certain extent, inspirational in a wierd sort of way, if you want me to submit a taster from my book im working on the now i'd be happy in sharing it with you.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't read

Then why do you want to write? And why do you expect anyone else to read what you write?

and unless i have a real, true desire to, basically i'm not going to (that's near enough the end of it, within reason).

I want to get into writing but my question is: "Is there ever been any real-time authors that didnt actually previously read books, as in, more than 4 books?"

No.

because i feel that i can make it,

Not without reading other authors, you can't.

and that i have a unique mind

You do. So do the other 6.6 billion residents of this planet.

(as young and 'not so developed' as it may be), but many people have told me that i can't expect to write; without first reading...

They're all correct.

I want to know if any authors you know of have went against the odds

"Have gone against the odds," not "have went against the odds." If you read more, you'd be more likely to notice your own errors in grammar.

to proove that i CAN write in a professional kind of manner without first reading a good number of books..

You can't. How would you know what a professional manner is without having read books written by professionals?

Would you go to a bakery that had been opened by someone who had only ever eaten two cakes?

P.S, i have only ever read two books "Don't tell" and "The cone gatherers", but (not that it definetely matters) ive heard that whaching movies help

It helps you write movies, maybe. Not novels.

Why do you want to write a novel if you don't read novels?

And if you have dyslexia or another reading difficulty, why not listen to novels on audio? You can download thousands and thousands of them for free, and most libraries have collections of them that you can borrow.

I think many writers or people on this site almost follow a system, why can't i be THE exception to writing?

Because there's no way anyone can write well without reading other writers. Seriously.

And if you're not even going to READ other writers' work, why would you be interested in other writers' advice in the first place?

Surely for me to be able to write well

What makes you think you write well? You don't have anything to compare your writing to. If you don't read other writers, you have no way of knowing if your writing is good or crap.

Last edited:

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
From a very practical standpoint, you have to read in order to absorb the way good writers write: their style, their approach to plotting and characters, their treatment of their subject matter, even their grammar (in your posts I already noticed a number of grammatical mistakes that could probably be eliminated if you did more reading).

Another practical reason to read is that you'll need to research what other writers in your genre are writing. You'll especially need to look up any books similar to yours and give them a whirl to make sure nobody is doing the same thing you are.

Beyond practicality, though, if you're not interested in the final product of writing, namely books, it's difficult to understand why you would want to write. There are other means of expressing creativity (art, song-writing, etc.). Maybe one of them would be better suited to your talents.

LegendaryJordan

Registered
Reaction score
Mhhh, rather forward are we? A bit rude through-out your ever so informative post, then you slip in a little consideration at the end, nice one.

Anyway, i don't like reading much, i find it extremely boring, i can't seem to remember anything that's been said, despite thoroughly looking through it and paying attention to the detail. Why would i want to be reading someone else's work, when i can be moulding my own, un-folding story full of excitement and adventure?

None of your points were useful, i don't read so why should they read my Book? Well because they like reading maybe!?

LegendaryJordan

Registered
Reaction score
From a very practical standpoint, you have to read in order to absorb the way good writers write: their style, their approach to plotting and characters, their treatment of their subject matter, even their grammar (in your posts I already noticed a number of grammatical mistakes that could probably be eliminated if you did more reading).

Another practical reason to read is that you'll need to research what other writers in your genre are writing. You'll especially need to look up any books similar to yours and give them a whirl to make sure nobody is doing the same thing you are.

Beyond practicality, though, if you're not interested in the final product of writing, namely books, it's difficult to understand why you would want to write. There are other means of expressing creativity (art, song-writing, etc.). Maybe one of them would be better suited to your talents.

Thanks, maybe from THIS very good post, i can understand more how useful it is to read other people's work.. Oh, and I only want to write, although i can write poetry (check poetry section), i don't think i want to write poetry though, i love writing too much. Not the concept, but rather the fact that i'm shaping the story for once.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, i don't like reading much, i find it extremely boring

Why do you think that the book you're going to write will be interesting to anyone else?

How do you know what other people are looking for in books?

And how will you know if your book is any good?

And, yes, if the only book I'd ever read was The Cone-Gatherers, I might think that books were boring in general, too. (I don't know which of the many books called Don't Tell... is the other book you read, so can't comment on that.)

The Cone-Gatherers is a very worthy book full of high-minded themes about society and class divisions and what not. It is also dry as dust. I can see why people teach it in school, but it's hardly a book that is going to get kids excited about reading.

But you think that the Harry Potter books are "boring"? Or Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series? Or the Artemis Fowl books? Or Garth Nix's The Keys to the Kingdom? Or Jacqueline Wilson? Or Terry Pratchett?

You can't write without reading.

If you hate reading because it's difficult for you (and I'm suspecting that may be what's going on), try audiobooks.

Once again, would you go to a bakery owned by someone who said "I don't like cakes--I've had two, but I find them dry and tasteless. Here, buy my cakes!"

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Mhhh, rather forward are we? A bit rude through-out your ever so informative post, then you slip in a little consideration at the end, nice one.

Anyway, i don't like reading much, i find it extremely boring, i can't seem to remember anything that's been said, despite thoroughly looking through it and paying attention to the detail. Why would i want to be reading someone else's work, when i can be moulding my own, un-folding story full of excitement and adventure?

None of your points were useful, i don't read so why should they read my Book? Well because they like reading maybe!?

You really don't read anything at all, do you?
Books can hold everything and anything.
They can be exciting and scary, sweet and fluffy and deeply emotional.
Read more.
Read genre, fantasy and sci fi, horror and mystery, romance and adventure novels.
If you don't like to read, write movies and tv instead.
I would not want to read a book written by someone who did not also enjoy books.

-B-

Registered
Reaction score
A writer that doesn't like to read? Like everyone else, that's something I've never heard of either. I can't imagine not reading.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com

That post was blunt and to the point, I'll grant you. That you don't like the answers you got does not invalidate them as truthful or useful, nor does it make them rude.

Personally, I agree with IceCreamExpress's response and I would suggest that you read it again.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, I don't read, and unless i have a real, true desire to, basically i'm not going to (that's near enough the end of it, within reason).<<I can't even begin to correct this 'sentence'.

I want to get into writing but my question is:

"Is there ever been any real-time authors that didnt actually previously read books, as in, more than 4 books?"<<Let me try to re-write this just to give you an example.

Are there any writers out there who don't read?

I couldn't begin to imagine what a real-time author is...so I won't even address that.

because i feel that i can make it,<<not if this post is any indication of your writing skills. and that i have a unique mind (as young and 'not so developed' as it may be), but many people have told me that i can't expect to write; without first reading... I want to know if any authors you know of have went against the odds to proove that i CAN write in a professional kind of manner without first reading a good number of books..

P.S, i have only ever read two books "Don't tell" and "The cone gatherers", but (not that it definetely matters) ive heard that whaching movies help and i've whached my fair share. From new to old, from Shawshank redemption to Wanted.

Thanks for the comments, in advance ;)

I am not trying to be rude. I think being blunt would be best here. It is painfully obvious to me that you do not read. It shows in your written grammar skills. If you read more often, you would have shown a greater skill and command of the English language. You need to be a master of the language to be a masterful writer. You can write all you want without these skills, but you will not get anywhere.

If you want to be a writer, I really hope you DO follow your dream. You really need to start reading, though. Read everything. And take some basic grammar lessons. You'll need them to chase that dream.

If you have any writing related questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help answer them for you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
There's also something to learn from styles of books. It's hard to describe. You know how the movie Memento is backwards? Well I for one, before seeing that film, never even considered you could tell a story that way. The same can be said of books. There are certain sylistic choices, that can only be found word on a page (and not in film, television etc), that when you read them you think, "Wow, now that is new and different, I really want to try it."

Writing a story isn't about just going from A to B, but how the author gets you there. Reading more novels allows you to see the breadth of possibility that you might not have otherwise known about. This is not to say you don't have a vast imagination, but you will be surprised how little you know (I say this as someone, nearly twice your age, who still finds it surprising how little she knows) as you start to read more and more. It's very exciting.

Also. I will confess. I was never much of a reader either. I way prefer movies. Except. . . here's the thing . . . then I find a book that is exciting and makes me want to read it all in a day it is so fabulous and I remember how much I actually love it. I always forget though. Now I have read more books than I can remember, so obviously I return to them time and time again. But I have to remind myself each time, that with every dull wordy book out there there is one fast paced exciting and so vivid that you forget you are reading words on a page and instead are just creating pictures in your head.

To be honest, it sounds to me like you've just read two books that didn't really suit you. What kind of stuff are you into, maybe I can recommend some short fast works you would like. From one movie fan to another . . . from one "not naturally inclined" reader, to another. I get your pain. But the key is not swearing off reading altogether, but rather finding books you like. It's like with television and movies, I'm sure you don't like all films. Imagine if you watched two films, but they happened to both be documentaries. And you decide you hate film because you want to see made up stories, not real life ones. Well that would be what is known as a logical fallacy. That is to say you drew a conclusion from a false premise. I think that's what's happened to you with books. You read two, you didn't like them, concluded all books were like that and left it at that.

Now to answer your question, actually I am afraid it is "No". You will be able to write to a point I am sure, but to achieve a level of sophistication that you desire, a level of sophistication you don't even know to aspire to because you haven't read it, it just won't be possible. Aside from the lack of literary finesse you will have, just practically you may find it difficult being an author, surrounding yourself with other authors, and never reading. For one thing it will make you feel very ignorant when others go on and on about books etc. For another, it will make you come across very self absorbed, because the writing world is one of give and take. If you want blurbs for your cover from other authors, you'd better read their stuff. You want beta readers, you'd better respond in turn. You want to educate others, you'd better have a reference point aside from your own experience.

Lastly remember that absolutes for the most part serve us little use. What point is it to declare you will never read another book? Why not? What are you trying to prove in that statement? The truly enlightened individual challenges him/herself. Finds what scares them, what bores them, what confuses them, and decides instead of avoiding it, to investigate it. Face your challenges head on. It will make you stronger, wiser, and probably pretty awesome to hang out with.

Last edited:

CynicalRyan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Indeed, why would you? Though, how will you know what your readers expect and/or are familiar with? What they consider interesting in a novel, as opposed to cheesy/ripped-off?

However, how do you expect to keep your own plot straight? Your own characters? Scenes that aren't written in chronological order and juggled around to make it fit?

As a writer you need an almost anal-retentive attention to detail:
Your character's names can change spelling or meaning. The addresses can't change (unless it is a plot point, which opens another can of worms). Technology/Magic/Races need to be consistent and constant (at least predictable), so have to be language differences: Can't have a character that speaks Cockney using the Queen's English all of a sudden (unless it is a plot point), or use longer/shorter words than (s)he usually does (unless, again, it is a plot point).

And then, there is the research which requires concentration and attention to detail (more so in historical settings than fantasy settings; But imagine the outrage of readers who've been to New York if you place Central Park in New Jersey, where as most people can't tell a rapier from an epee), too.

That being said: Of course you can write. Maybe even very well. But turning it into some sort of career is very unlikely. You'll lack, frankly speaking, the vocabulary of others, and the skill to use it.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Is there someone, somewhere, who could write a good novel without reading? Anything's possible I suppose.

But you have to realistic. You have problems with your written English. You're not that someone. It will be hard at first if you're not used to reading, but it does get easier.

I'm sure if you listed your interests, we could recommend some books.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think many writers or people on this site almost follow a system, why can't i be THE exception to writing? Surely for me to be able to write well, at such a young age, and with no experience with reading or "big writing", only makes me a better writer. In saying that, i feel as if my story is - to a certain extent, inspirational in a wierd sort of way, if you want me to submit a taster from my book im working on the now i'd be happy in sharing it with you.

Again, the grammar in this quote is excruciatingly painful. One important thing to do when considering writing is LEARN ALL THE RULES. Only after you learn those rules (which include grammar) can you dispose of them at will and manipulate them to your will. You need to know the rules to know when it is okay to ignore them. Right now, you do not know them and your grammar shows this. Writing a succinct sentence is a skill. You have yet to show that ability here.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score

First of all, this is exceedingly rude and self-absorbed. Far more than any of the responses that these writers (whose advice YOU solicited) have taken their time to give you. If you're a fraction as condescending to your hypothetical readers as you are to the posters here, I can't see how anyone would want to follow your work through to its completion. Trust me, you're not the only writer who provides excitement and adventure in his fiction.

Considering that you wrote "watching" as "whaching," it's my opinion that, yes, "legendary" one, you need to read. You should want to read. You should absorb who came before you to learn from them.

And why do you want to write, aside from the blatant desire to demonstrate your "unique mind" and so-called exceptional young talent if reading is dreadful for you? I think you may enjoy the idea of being an author, and for the wrong reason, if you dislike reading as much as you say you do.

There're many great YA books that could inspire a love of reading in you, if you're willing to look at them. Try to establish your tastes--historical, romance, supernatural, contemporary series, scifi, the classics (God forbid, I'm guessing)--and then follow others' recommendations.

Lastly, it's my opinion that people of admirable talents do not need to flaunt them as you do yours. And trust me, no matter how old you are now, or how old you grow to be, you will look back on your earlier writing, and with only certain exceptions, cringe.

Pick up a book. Pick up many. Love words other than your own and stop savoring your supposed brilliance. If you really want to foster your talent, stop being so myopic. It's, in my opinion, one of the most foolish things you could ever do.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
Great writing comes from experience. The reason that people like a story, that it resonates with them, is because stories contain universal themes wrapped in the soft chocolatey goodness of plot, dialogue, and high-speed car chases! Mmm, nugget.

As selkin points out, anyone who has been writing since a young age will look back and say, "Did I write that? Whoa. I've improved so much since then." It's natural, because when you start out young, you're inexperienced. As you get older, you experience more of the world with every day; you absorb these experiences, integrate them into your consciousness, and this affects how you write, what you write about, why you're writing it.

Reading is one way to gain life experience, mostly through knowledge. Obviously one should not just read. But reading exposes you to ... ideas. That's why powerful, corrupt organizations have been trying to limit literacy throughout history--reading grants knowledge, thoughts, and thus power. You are very fortunate to have grown up in a society where you were educated and taught to read and write. Don't take such freedoms for granted.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
P.S, i have only ever read two books

Hmm. Imagine being a chef and having only tasted potatoes and celery--would you be in any shape to start cooking? Would you know which spices complement which dishes, and how to pair foods and wines? No.

I agree that you should find a topic you like, and read extensively about that (and finish school--something tells me you're pretty young). Good luck.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
When we read, another person thinks for us: we merely repeat his mental process. It is the same as the pupil, in learning to write, following with his pen the lines that have been pencilled by the teacher. Accordingly, in reading, the work of thinking is, for the greater part, done for us. This is why we are consciously relieved when we turn to reading after being occupied with our own thoughts. But, in reading, our head is, however, really only the arena of some one else’s thoughts. And so it happens that the person who reads a great deal—that is to say, almost the whole day, and recreates himself by spending the intervals in thoughtless diversion, gradually loses the ability to think for himself; just as a man who is always riding at last forgets how to walk.

Arthur Schopenhauer, On Reading and Books

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/essays/chapter5.html

Not saying I agree with this.
Just putting it forth as an alternate perspective.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Jordan is 15.

Jordan...you have years of school left. I think it's great to have an interest in writing this early on. To make the most of this dream, I would suggest that you knuckle under and learn everything you can about the craft. This would involve reading. If you explain what interests you have, maybe some here can suggest books for you to explore. Not all reading is boring. If you have a desire to write, it must mean that STORY sparks something in you. If you want to tell the stories that are inside of you...you have to learn how to do it to the best of your ability. Latch on to reading and it will help you to latch on to writing.

Again...any questions you have>>fire away.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
When we read, another person thinks for us: we merely repeat his mental process. It is the same as the pupil, in learning to write, following with his pen the lines that have been pencilled by the teacher. Accordingly, in reading, the work of thinking is, for the greater part, done for us. This is why we are consciously relieved when we turn to reading after being occupied with our own thoughts. But, in reading, our head is, however, really only the arena of some one else’s thoughts. And so it happens that the person who reads a great deal—that is to say, almost the whole day, and recreates himself by spending the intervals in thoughtless diversion, gradually loses the ability to think for himself; just as a man who is always riding at last forgets how to walk.

Arthur Schopenhauer, On Reading and Books

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/essays/chapter5.html

Not saying I agree with this.
Just putting it forth as an alternate perspective.
Ah, a challenge! :D I'll bite (acknowledging and applauding your role as Devil's Advocate).

Schopenhauer's analogy to riding is flawed. Riding is a passive activity; one sits on the horse, and the horse moves. Reading should not be a passive activity. Granted, it's great to relax and read just for fun. However, I like to read actively.

To me, every book is a dialogue. I think about what the author has written and decide whether or not I agree with it. When reading fiction, I often get quite vocal about my opinion of a character or scene--much to the amusement of people around me, if I'm not alone. With non-fiction, I usually reserve my disagreement for when I'm discussing the book with others.

I love learning new words and phrases. If I see a word I don't know, I look it up (if I can go online, I love looking it up in the OED and seeing its etymology and historical usage!). Similarly, I love the power of allusion. It makes conversation all the more interesting (and helps me understand others who use allusion). Reading does not take place in a dialogue; it is but one facet of the expression of language, that fundamental ability we have through which we construct reality.

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Jordan, and welcome to AW.

In response to your question, I cannot think of any writers who do not read. Perhaps there are some lone hermits out there, consuming words in the vast deserts of their minds, but who can say?

Without being in love with books in general, I think you do have a tough path ahead of you. Like many things in life, we internalize what we learn until we reach a point of not knowing how we know what we know or how deep we know it. Without reading, there is little outside knowledge to build into that. Like building a skyscraper without the bones.

But I do also understand being in love with your own characters and worlds and wanting to think and breathe only them. With that thought, though, I believe it is possible to love your own creations and still have room to love the works of others.

When you say you've read nothing but four books, do you think about the possibility of a book out there that might grab your interest aside from your own pending work? Have you read the back covers and first pages of a skimming of different works in a local bookstore to see if something catches your eye? What brought you to read the four books that you have read?

I am curious for many reasons. Some of them being because my husband is a non-reader. He simply never read much as a child, never fell in love with words. And he is a slow but thorough reader, the turtle in the race. Sometimes I think that is what holds him back the most because an hour of reading doesn't cover enough to compare to an hour of some other entertainment, especially in today's world. Do you relate to this, or is boredom truly your end explanation for lack of reading, lack of trying?

-Michelle

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
good point Tachyon. There's reading and then there's reading. If you delve into a book as thoroughly as you've described then you definitely do walk ;-) away with more knowledge and insight, in contrast to if you simply zip through it for the sheer entertaiment value, which is fine way to go during the first reading.

ps I think part of Schopenhauer's antagonism to reading stemmed from the fact that his mother was a novelist. He got along with her atrociously, so his attack on reading might well have been an attack on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.