What to do with EGGPLANT

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I made this once for a dinner party, before I realized that I actually don't like lamb at all. So I didn't enjoy it, but my friends who like lamb did. I also made a vegetarian stuffing by cooking rice in water with a little lemon juice and adding shredded mint leaves.

8 small eggplants (you can use less, just lower the amt of lamb too)
1 lb. ground lamb
1 lemon
sm onion
fresh mint leaves

Cut a long slit in each eggplant, lengthwise. Scoop out some of the flesh.

In a skillet heat several tbsp olive oil. Cook the eggplants on both sides until the skin bubbles and turns dark. Set aside.

Dice the onion, brown it with the lamb. Drain. Mix in a handful or so of shredded mint leaves and squeeze half the lemon over it. Cook another minute or so in the skillet. Remove from heat, let cool for a few minutes.

Stuff the lamb mixture into the eggplants and bake, covered, in a 350 oven for twenty minutes or so. Take off the cover and cook five or ten minutes more.

Like I said, my guests liked it a lot. I just didn't (I learned I don't particularly like eggplant either ;) )

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I had to do this. It's THE EGGPLANT THREAD. Eggplant is my favourite. My wife makes a wicked eggplant lasagna...she created it to combine two of my favourites---obviously EGGPLANT and LASAGNA. I'm going to have to get the recipe from her (Judg has asked me for it...but I thought others might like to try it too), but I thought others could share eggplant recipes here too.

I hate eggplant. I love to try and eat it, and reap the benefits of it, but I can't stand the soggy mess it usually turns into once cooked.

So...I tried it in a veggie tempura mix. LOVED IT.

LOVED IT.

Deelish. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish. Fabulous. Loved it.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
What to do with an eggplant?

Put it in the ground, and hope for chickens! :) hee hee hee

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
AACH. Courgettes! I forgot the zucchini in the ratatouille. I kept looking at that and thinking that I was missing something.

Boy, it's a good thing I speak French, or I'd never understand all these furiners with their aubergines and courgettes and such.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaare to shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare your recipe?

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Mr Mouse makes the BEST ratatouille, so I'll get him to write his recipe down and then I'll post it.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Grilled Eggplant with Yogurt Garlic Sauce

Slice 2 large eggplant length wise - about 1/4 inch thick. Salt & put in stainer. Let sit for at least half an hour to get some of the moisture out of the eggplant.

Skewer about a dozen jalapeno peppers (more if you love hot stuff), lightly coat with oil.

Mix 1 cup of unflavored yogurt with 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, salt to taste. You can also add some finely diced cucumber if you'd like. Put in fridge.

Heat your grill to medium hot.

Take the eggplant, lightly coat with olive oil. Season with finely minced rosemary. When the grill is ready, cook the eggplant until done, same thing with the jalapeno peppers. For those that like a little spice but not too much, seed the peppers before serving (wear gloves if your hands are sensitive).

Serve it all with the sauce. WOW! Hot, spicy, cooled down by the sauce.

One of our summer time favorites.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The best thing to do with an eggplant is to admire it's beauty, the gleam of its skin, it's zen-like form, its symmetry.

And then throw it out, and go eat some cardboard.

caw

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I put it on my pizza yesterday.

Leftover grilled eggplant (brush with oil, sprinkle with s, p, and basil, cook on the bbq), diced and on top of pesto, nestled among the mushrooms, artichokes, sundried tomatoes and olives, and topped with pearl boconcini.

Holy yum.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
I made this once for a dinner party, before I realized that I actually don't like lamb at all.

Like I said, my guests liked it a lot. I just didn't (I learned I don't particularly like eggplant either ;) )

D, this one looks awesome! I promise not to make it if you ever come to dinner.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great recipe however you need to salt the egglplant after it is peeled and let it sit for 10 mins before breading it...

Eggplant Rollatini

Main Ingredients
2 medium eggplants
Olive oil
Egg mixture
Bread crumbs

Preparing

Peel eggplant and cut length-wise. Dip into egg mixture and then into bread crumbs. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high and fry eggplant and set aside.

Filling Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated cheese
3 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt & black pepper to taste

Preparing

Mix all the above ingredients together until well blended. Fill the center of each fried eggplant and fold over each side of eggplant. Cover the bottom of a 9"x13" baking pan with tomato sauce and place the rollatnis in pan. Top eggplant with more tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese and shredded mozzarella. Place in preheated 350° oven for 20 minutes.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I put it on my pizza yesterday.

Leftover grilled eggplant (brush with oil, sprinkle with s, p, and basil, cook on the bbq), diced and on top of pesto, nestled among the mushrooms, artichokes, sundried tomatoes and olives, and topped with pearl boconcini.

Holy yum.
Jenn, I live in Eh-land too, and I am really hoping you live close enough to invite me over for your next pizza...

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Jenn, I live in Eh-land too, and I am really hoping you live close enough to invite me over for your next pizza...

Much as I wish I was in your neck of the woods (next week RWA Ottawa and Apocalyptica playing the day after) alas, I am stuck pretty much right in the middle of the country.

If you're willing to make the 24 hour drive, you are more than welcome to join us for Pizza Day. ;)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
What to do with EGGPLANT

It's quite simple, really. Holding it gently in both hands, take the eggplant outside. Place it on a fence post. Pull out a twenty-two pistol and whale away until the magazine is empty and the horrid mutant thing is unrecognizable as once having been a "food." Then go back inside, and grill up a steak. And that's what you do with eggplant.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Eggplant burgers: traditionally breaded or batter fried a la Parmigiana, but just fried on a griddle is good too. Stick it in a bun, it's lunch or a midnight snack. I got silly and tried to make eggplant frites, but they don't deep fry well. I'll try in the oven sometime.
On pizza is great. In a lasagna is great.

I like the ratatouille recipe, I want to try that!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate eggplant. I love to try and eat it, and reap the benefits of it, but I can't stand the soggy mess it usually turns into once cooked.

So...I tried it in a veggie tempura mix. LOVED IT.

Am I the only one who quotes herself??? Well either way, I had my eggplant tempura again last night....... LOVED IT!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who quotes herself??? Well either way, I had my eggplant tempura again last night....... LOVED IT!

In fact, I have half an eggplant left over, I may tempura up some more. Unless someone can give me an idea what to do with it.....ooooooh I know....spaghetti sauce! That's it!!!!!

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
A simple pretty good way to fix eggplant is to slice it, spray it with Pam, and lay it on the grill with other stuff.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I battered and fried my slieced eggplant.....didn't love it. Way too squishy.

Gonna stick to my tempura. Will try grilling though, sounds yummy.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Beer battered and deep fried, on a sweet roll. Yes, eggplant frites prepared the same way. This is good with relish - it takes that bitter edge off.
Adding to tempura is good too (with broccoli, carrot chunks, and mushrooms).

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Poor, poor maligned eggplant. I like it Greek style:

Cube (2inch cubes) one large eggplant and "floret" (you know, separate/cut the head)one head of cauliflower. Cut one or two yellow bell peppers into one inch strips. Toss the veggies with two tablespoons of olive oil, one teaspoon salt, one teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Arrange the veggies in one layer on a cookie sheet and roast at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, or so, until fork tender. Top with feta and enjoy!

I suppose you could do something similar in a large, heavy, covered pot on the stove, but I've never tried it that way.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else made Celina's Ratatouille? It is so amazingly good, that my toddler requests it at least once every two weeks. I'm not kidding. When I made it for him the second time (without him asking for it) has asked me "Are you makin me rat-tat-too-ee?"

No joke, it's that good. Linky. Okay, back to cleaning I go.