Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
How does an author go about distributing a book to the brick and mortar stores?

See, and this is what gets me. Don't any of the PA people stop and think that this cannot possibly be the way all those books get into stores?

If getting books into stores were the author's job, there would be no room for customers in the stores, because they'd be full of authors carrying boxes of books. The parking lots would be full of cars with books stacked up all over the backseats, their rear ends sagging under the weight of trunks full of books.

Don't they wonder why Steven King doesn't visit their local bookstore once every couple of years? Why EVERY book in EVERY store isn't "signed by the author"? Hey, if they're hand-delivering every copy of their books to the stores, why aren't they signing them too, for all that "added value"?

Don't they wonder how it is that you can go into a B&N in Oregon and find the same books on the tables in front as in Florida (with some minor exceptions, of course, for local tastes)?

Don't they wonder why the blogs of real writers aren't full with tips and info on this sort of thing, but focus instead on writing, or finding an agent, or any number of topics of interest to people published with real houses? If it were the job of the writer to get books in stores, wouldn't at least a few writers focus on that on their blogs or websites, instead of stuff like making your work better, or whatever other topic they touch on?

How do they think writers like Terry Pratchett get books into US bookstores, when they live in England?

*I* currently live in England, but my book is in stores all over America. Every summer I do a blog series on a writing topic; last summer it was researching small/epublishers (with particular emphasis in the first post on how PA is not a real publisher); this summer it was writing sex scenes. At some point later in the year I'm going to cover researching agents. I've blogged about promo once in a while, too. But not once have I or anyone I know of felt the need to tell other writers how to talk a store manager into stocking my book.

Because that's not my job as a writer.

And why stop at books? How do any products get into any stores? Because the inventer brought in a few samples and begged the mgr. of each individual store to sell their product, or because a sales team handles all that?

Think about that, PAers. Ask yourselves those questions, and see if the Emperor is still wearing clothes.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Don't they wonder why the blogs of real writers aren't full with tips and info on this sort of thing, but focus instead on writing, or finding an agent, or any number of topics of interest to people published with real houses?

Most PA authors don't seem to read the blogs of other writers, much less those of agents and editors. I was just reading J. A. Konrath's "Newbie's Guide to Publishing" yesterday, and I thought how chock-full of advice it was on promotion and publicity. Then I wondered why I had never before come across even a mention of it on the PAMB; it would be helpful to so many of them (if they could get over the fact that it clearly identifies PA as a vanity press).

But I think most of the PA authors are not used to doing the research or reading intensively about writing and about the industry. The PAMB doesn't exactly encourage that, does it?

And for some of them, PA and its authors are all there is. When they read, they read each other's books; when they link, they link to each others' sites. So they're rarely if ever exposed to people who are actually published.

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .Don't any of the PA people stop and think that this cannot possibly be the way all those books get into stores? . . .
Apparently no, they do not. Nor do they stop and think about pretty much anything else associated with commercial publishing. Apparently few or none even have a clue as to what questions to ask, let alone what the answers are.

--Ken

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised, because Konrath's web site says:

I stand corrected. It wasn't a JK Konrath newsletter. (Link to our thread here.) That's what I get for trusting my memory on a Monday rather than going back to check the source. I've slapped my hand.

The newsletter in question was about book marketing, and it delivered a few hard truths that some PA authors seem to gloss over.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
The newsletter in question was about book marketing, and it delivered a few hard truths that some PA authors seem to gloss over.

Perhaps that's why the original poster said,

I'm surprised so few have viewed or commented. It seems that the snipit covers a lot of new author concerns.

New authors don't have concerns. They have optimism and love for PA as they order their first case of books and prepare for their exciting new job of selling their wares. Reality in that scenario is about as welcome as ants at a picnic, which may be why two of the three authors who have replied to that are veterans. One said,

<title> has been on the market for just shy of a year now and it's not yet on the best seller list.

Which bestseller list? Please don't say "New York Times".

Everybody is trying to sell books. They all are vying for media attention. The ones with a mission have a much better chance.

We all have missions. It's just that with PA putting the books out, that's more of a Mission Impossible.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, in my day job I own a garment printing business (I make those pretty t-shirts people wear). Whenever we contract to sell to a major store chain, that store chain purchases the garments from me, then resells them plus their markup. We take conditional returns (damaged garments, etc. Never non-selling garments) on a variable timescale, anywhere from six months up to two years. The point is when the stores purchase the garments from me, they take on all the risk of reselling them for profit. I've already made my money on the deal. Whether the store is actually makes any sales or not, the money is in my pocket.

I post this because I've just realized something: I'm the Publish America of imprinted garments. :(

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
Most PA authors don't seem to read the blogs of other writers, much less those of agents and editors.
I didn't. Wish I had!
But I think most of the PA authors are not used to doing the research or reading intensively about writing and about the industry. The PAMB doesn't exactly encourage that, does it?
I do not recall being encouraged to research and/or read.
And for some of them, PA and its authors are all there is. When they read, they read each other's books; when they link, they link to each others' sites. So they're rarely if ever exposed to people who are actually published.
I read one PA author's book. It was a gift. Don't recall title of book, author's name or plot.
There is a comradery of sorts within the PAMB. I checked out numerous PA sites, but soon tired of them. There are PAMB team players and then there is me.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Don't confuse Daw with PA

Some time ago, an author who had previously been published by Daw started a thread on the PAMB asking about the definition of a successful PA author. The replies were what you'd expect - success is being happy, success is selling a single book, success is watching your mother convince a bookstore owner to carry your book, and so on. The last reply was that you were a success if you didn't have to return your advance, and the original poster seemed to find that a touch bizarre, given the size of the advance.

But he can't seem to let the issue drop.

So here's the conundrum
icon_rolleyes.gif

While I don't give a hoot about being rich or famous. . . I do want to make a living by writing novels (we all do, don't we?)

Um... it's possible they do, but does it look as though any PA authors make a living by writing novels?

Is that an impossible dream? A selfish dream?
icon_eek.gif

What? How can it possibly be selfish to want to make a living writing novels?

Should I be satisfied by just selling 100 or 200 books? Or should I plan and act on selling much more?

First you'll need to buy those 100 or 200 books from PA. Operators are standing by.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, in my day job I own a garment printing business (I make those pretty t-shirts people wear). Whenever we contract to sell to a major store chain, that store chain purchases the garments from me, then resells them plus their markup. We take conditional returns (damaged garments, etc. Never non-selling garments) on a variable timescale, anywhere from six months up to two years. The point is when the stores purchase the garments from me, they take on all the risk of reselling them for profit. I've already made my money on the deal. Whether the store is actually makes any sales or not, the money is in my pocket.

I post this because I've just realized something: I'm the Publish America of imprinted garments. :(

No, you're not. You're not trying to convince your customers that your business model is one thing when it's something else altogether. They know what they're buying, they know what they're getting and they know upfront what your policies are. They're entering a business contract with you knowing exactly what they're getting and what you can and can't do for them. No unpleasant surprises. Just cool t-shirts for everyone :)

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming I only see one, count em, one PA admit to receiving a royalty check? No one is coming forth to announce their totals, it seems. I don't think no one dares--the totals are too embarassing. (Unless I'm looking in the wrong PA thread)

Tri
Come to think of it, Tri, other than my recent 34 and earlier 46 dollar royalty - mentioned on this site (I think), I don't recall seeing anyone else either. And, my checks were based on actual internet book sells, not royalties paid for books I purchased. Pretty impressive, wouldn't you say? har har

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
And what do we make of the price increases over at PA? Much as I would like to think that it means PA is about to leave skid marks on the bowl, I'm sure it's just testing the abusive limits.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure they'll come up some bogus reason, and the PAvidians will buy it* hook, line, and Kool-Aid.

*Discount is available on 20 copies or more! Excludes hardbacks! Hurry! Why not buy an extra carton for the upcoming holidays? Hurry! Limited time offer! Hurry! Operator is standing by! Get those credit cards out! Just think of all the extra gas you'll be able to buy once you take advantage of this discount! HURRY!

Last edited:

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Author,

Alright, one more week, for authors who choose to have books on hand! Remember, this one-time discount offer will not come back anytime soon.

All orders of 20 or more copies: 55 pct discount.

Phone orders only, at 301 695 1707, between 9am - 5pm EST. Hardcovers are excluded, but full-color books are included! Offer expires this Friday, Sept. 12.

Thank you!

PublishAmerica Author Support Team
WARNING: This e-mail is a suspected phishing scam.

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
The sad thing about PA's "offer" is my book listing at 19.95 (more on Amazon) would still cost me 9.00 plus shipping. The book should sell for 8.95 tops. Thanks, PA, but no thanks.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Hurry, hurry, get your carton of books now before the price goes up once more due to gas prices. It costs more for us to fill out tanks and we're depending upon you to buy, buy, buy that gas for us. Just think of your own car as a convenient storage shed that you can push about the yard so the local officials won't ticket it for being in one place too long.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
And of course the younger PA shill-lady basically tells her to get out there and hustle. But I don't care if she walks the streets with an illuminated sandwich board, there ain't nobody but her granny going to pay thirty bucks for a 300-page trade paperback.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
A thread about price hikes : will it stay?

Best part is, all the posters asking questions are veterans. D. K. Christi, who claimed on another thread that the price of a book didn't matter if the author hustled enough (she phrased it as "promote, promote, promote"), says,

Infocenter? This question has been floating on several threads.....

Another author adds,

Wow, mine went up $5
icon_exclaim.gif

Just means you have to do more promoting, promoting, promoting.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Is that an Amazon price hike? Or is that PA? I would suppose that if the prices went up on B &N and Amazon at the same time, then the raise would have to be attributed to PA. How do they do that? Just write to those sources and request different numbers?

That really blows. Prices were high enough. That's a hellava way to chop a bigger cut out of their authors. A damn risky one, too. But, any action that PA has taken has not driven off the loyalists before.

Recent signs that PA is in financial straits:

Increased buy-your-own-book email campaign. (four a month)

Contest announcements (which leads back to buy-your-own-book)

Book Price hikes.

Will we finally see the beginning of an uproar and protest? Ah, that is the question.

Tri

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if PA authors realize that even if they don't make a profit on their book sales and might not have to complete Federal tax forms as a business, they are required in many states to collect (and pay) sales taxes, and possibly have a license (even to sell books from their cars)?

This is from Maryland:
http://www.blis.state.md.us/BusinessStartup.aspx

Hawker and Peddler License A person who makes sales from place to place carrying articles of merchandise which are intended for sale

This is from Michigan:

http://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-43529-154427--,00.html

I just pulled those out randomly, but I imagine most states have something similar.

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if PA authors realize that even if they don't make a profit on their book sales and might not have to complete Federal tax forms as a business, they are required in many states to collect (and pay) sales taxes, and possibly have a license (even to sell books from their cars)?

This is from Maryland:
http://www.blis.state.md.us/BusinessStartup.aspx

Hawker and Peddler License A person who makes sales from place to place carrying articles of merchandise which are intended for sale

This is from Michigan:

http://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-43529-154427--,00.html

I just pulled those out randomly, but I imagine most states have something similar.

Marie,
Just think about the upside of being incarcerated. One could sell his/her PA books to a captive audience. You might have to give your cellmate, Bubba, a free copy to keep him out of your bunk.
Ron :)

Status
Not open for further replies.