Best Thing You Ever Cooked? (Mine was a gumbo)

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Good job, shawkins. Sounds yummy!

Every year around my birthday I make a lasagna. It's a pretty huge catastrophe that I try to turn into a coherent meal (that lasts over a week).
This year I used pizza dough - tried to stretch it wider than my sizable pan and then do a fold in a 's' style, but it turned out more pie-shaped. Maybe for New Year's I'll hit the Italian bakery for lasagna sheets and try again.
Bottom layer, veggies (eggplants, onions, peppers red and yellow, and lots of mushrooms). Fold over 's'.
Next layer, meat - lots and lots of sausage, ham and ground beef. And sauce. Fold over other 's'.
Top layer, cheese (mozzarella, and good ol' orange cheddar). And a layer of pepperoni and more sauce.

As good as it gets, folks.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
The best thing I make on a regualr basis for dinner- my homemade mac and cheese.

My cookies get rave reviews all the time.

But the thing I'm most proud of was when a friend brought home a corned beef roast and asked me to make corned beef and cabbage. I had never had it before, but I somehow managed to make the dish so well that everyone loved it, especially and including those who had had it numerous times in their pasts. Now if only I could keep the breading from falling off my chicken fried steak I would be a happy woman :D

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Now if only I could keep the breading from falling off my chicken fried steak I would be a happy woman :D

I've never had chicken fried steak but I do this for breaded chicken. Before dipping your meat in your breading, lightly coat it in seasoned flour first. Let it sit in the fridge to set for a while. Then dip it in your liquid (I usually use a mix of beaten egg and seasonings) and then coat it in your crumbs. Let this set also in the fridge. If you are frying it, let your pan and oil get good and hot before you put the meat in it. Then turn only once - repeated turning causes the coating to crumble.

I generally don't "fry" I oven bake and this method works perfectly for beautiful crunchy chicken.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the hundreds of times I've made gravy, I've screwed it up only three times. The other times, it's come out perfect. I get the gene from my mother; her sister could only make meat-flavored library paste.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
To shawkins: THANK YOU. Lovely recipe.

Several comments about gumbo: my sister makes her annual Christmas Eve gumbo by baking the flour (no real roux), then cooking the seafood to death until it shrivels up into tiny, rubbery pieces. It totally sucks. And I can't convince her to improve her methods, so I shut up, nibble at a small bowl and wish I were home eating my own gumbo. But it being the season of peace and goodwill, I manage to endure.

There is NOTHING that can replace a slow-cook roux of oil and flour.
It smells divine, and well worth the risk of injury. Live dangerously, I say.
IMO, butter would burn long before the roux is cooked properly, unless you're just doing a five-minute breakdown of the flour and don't need the rich, complex flavor a long-cooking roux would provide.
All the recipes I've encountered advised pretty much a 50-50 ratio of oil to flour. Obviously what you did to yours works, so I'll have to reconsider.

Anyway, now I'm hungry and bummed out that yet another Christmas Eve will be highlighted by crappy gumbo.

Thanks again for the recipe. :)

Teleute

Skeptic
Registered
Reaction score
I have recently studied the topic of gumbo extensively.

You know how all the snooty cookbooks go on and on about how making your own stock really is the only way to go? They finally wore me down and I decided to try it. It actually does make a huge difference.

It so does, for etouffe, too.

I ended up with about 3 gallons of stock that was the color of brown lake water and smelled like fish, but not in a good way. It did not appear promising.

Yeah, that's what it's supposed to look and smell like: pond.

You can do stock with the shells of just a couple of pounds of shrimp, too, or crabshells or crawfish shells or fish parts or any combination thereof. You don't need to save stuff for that long! I like to have a low country boil with shrimp or crawfish or both, make everyone save their shells, and then put them in the crockpot that night with all the rest of the ingredients. When you wake up, you have fish stock.

Heat about 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a frying pan. Gradually add in about 1-1.5 cups flour, a tablespoon at a time. Stir constantly.

The roux is done when it is about the consistency of peanut butter. Traditionally, it should also be about the color of peanut butter, but mine always ends up about the color of Hershey's chocolate. Possibly I'm doing something wrong, but the end result (the gumbo) is good.

For a peanut-butter colored roux, you need less flour or more oil. I think the proper ratio is 1 cup flour for every 3/4 cup of oil.

Dark brown roux is fine for gumbo, but if you ever want to make etouffe, you ought to change the ratio a bit.

This takes about 20 minutes and is extremely boring as the stirring must be more or less constant. If a well-meaning s.o. or housemate pops in and asks "is there anything I can do to help?" enlist them to stir the roux even if they were just being polite.

ROFL, I totally do this!

I'll defer to Fraulein on this, but I believe cajun roux is traditionally made with vegetable oil. Or possibly I'm being a philistine again.

It can be made with vegetable oil, (REAL) butter, or bacon grease.

I'm not generally crazy about okra, but I do like it in this. Not sure where the tomato idea came from, but I like them in most anything.

Generally, gumbo that has okra has tomatoes, and gumbo that has tomatoes has okra. And generally, tomato-okra gumbo (also called Creole gumbo) has seafood, and Cajun gumbo can have seafood but usually has sausage, chicken, and tasso. (I grew up across the river from Louisiana, in Mississippi, and I only had Creole gumbo, ever, until I went to family functions of actual French-speaking Cajuns in college. I kept thinking, where the hell is the okra?)

The difference between Cajun and Creole is that Cajun is the culture of the French descendants in that area, and Creole is a hybrid of Cajun and African--thus the okra, which is an African vegetable, in the gumbo. Creole food is more dominant around the (Mississippi) river, due to obvious ethnographic reasons, and Cajun food is more dominant the further you go west.

Sorry to sound like a know-it-all; I had to get to the bottom of this last year because I couldn't find any satisfactory gumbo recipes. I vastly prefer Creole gumbo, though I like the Cajun stuff, too. And I prefer etouffe to either kind of gumbo.

As to the thread question, the best dish that I cook is bananas foster chimichangas. It is probably also the least healthy food I have ever consumed--brown sugar, rum, butter, and bananas all wrapped in a tortilla, fried, and sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
As to the thread question, the best dish that I cook is bananas foster chimichangas. It is probably also the least healthy food I have ever consumed--brown sugar, rum, butter, and bananas all wrapped in a tortilla, fried, and sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar.

That sounds really good. Got a recipe?

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Best thing I've ever made... hands down my homemade mac and cheese. It's never the same twice but everybody in my house (even my kids in their pickiest phases) love it.

I make a standard white sauce and then toss in whatever cheeses I have on hand - swiss, munster, Velveeta, even sliced American cheese has made an appearance. I have no idea how much - I keep melting cheese in until it tastes cheesy and is the right consistency. I like to use odds and ends of pasta, half a cup of shells, a handful or two of elbows, a cup or so of twists, you get the idea.

After the pasta is cooked and placed in a buttered casserole dish, I stir the cheese sauce in, sometimes I add a few smallish chunks of Monterey jack or some cream cheese chunks and stir those in too. I usually dust the top with buttered bread crumbs, but the last time I made this, I was out of ready made bread crumbs and didn't feel like making my own, so I dusted the top with Parmesean. A friend of mine, excellent cook, but very by the recipe kind of girl, ate three bowls before claiming she was about to explode. (Bake for about 30 min on 350.)

Teleute

Skeptic
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds really good. Got a recipe?

Sure, but don't eat it if you don't have health insurance, k? :)

Bananas Foster Chimichangas - serves 4

Ingredients:

Filling:
3 firm bananas, quartered (sliced once horizontally and once vertically)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons rum flavoring or 2 tablespoons dark rum (Cruzan black strap, Sailor Jerry, or the equivalent)

Chimichangas:
4 8- or 10-inch flour tortillas
Vegetable oil for frying
Cinnamon sugar (1/2 tsp cinnamon for every 1 tbsp white sugar)

Ice cream to serve, if desired

Directions:

1. Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and bananas, and stir until brown sugar is dissolved. Pour in rum or rum flavoring, and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Spoon 1/4 the banana mixture into each tortilla, and fold up like a burrito, tucking in the ends.

2. In another skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, fry chimichangas until golden, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.

3. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Top with ice cream if desired.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
The most compliments I have ever received were for very simple things--smashed potatoes made with buttermilk, chives and roasted garlic, for example.

It's the simpler things that wet my willie. ;)

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I've made some astonishing soups and stews. Lovely breads. I am not a fancy cook. Give me a crock pot and some beans and I will cook something good.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
My crockpot creation smells soooooooooooooooo good. I want to eat it NOW! It's only been about 3 hours.....c'monnnnnnn slow cooker!!!!

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
It's hard to say. My guacamole and lemon chicken are pretty good, but I made stuffed mushrooms and baked brie recently that came out great.

My fave is the guac, however. I grew tomatoes and basil this summer, and made a lot of it!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The most compliments I have ever received were for very simple things

Everyone needs to post this on their refrigerator. One of the things that drives me nuts about the celeb chef shows is the expensive complexity that is supposed to equal good food. Everybody can make wonderful and nutritious meals out of the simplest ingredients and techniques.

I frequently sautee chopped veggies (any combination of bell peppers, leeks, onions, carrots, summer squashes, celery, broccoli, bok choi, swiss chard, kohlrabi, daikon radish, baby corn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, jerusalem artichokes, etc.) in a little olive oil and ground pepper and the wonderful condiment from the Goya company called Adobo powder. If you don't have Adobo, a squeeze of lemon juice works just fine. Everybody in my family eats it like candy; just don't overcook. A perfect and quick side-dish for any meal.

caw

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone needs to post this on their refrigerator. One of the things that drives me nuts about the celeb chef shows is the expensive complexity that is supposed to equal good food. Everybody can make wonderful and nutritious meals out of the simplest ingredients and techniques.

I quote myself...

It's the simpler things that wet my willie. ;)

I sauteed red pepper, onion and mushroom and blended it in my eggs. Served it up with a package of frozen potatos o'reilly with cooked cut up hot dog pieces.

Deelish. And simple.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
It was definitely not the gumbo I made yesterday, which, while okay, came out a bit thin and could've used more sausage. Ah, well. Live and learn.

I make a nice lasagna, and I have gotten pretty good at a variety of soups. But I think the best thing I ever made was a Caribbean chicken chili. Come to think of it, I should make that again soon.

BookDragon

Registered
Reaction score
One of the best things I ever cooked was a pork tenderloin. I cut the tenderloin in half, and then, cut the sides into flaps of a sort, and opened it completely up. Made a stuffing of baby spinich, wilted slightly, cream cheese, and sauteed mushrooms. Rubbed a cut bulb of garlic on the tenderloin, placed the stuffing inside, tied it up, and roasted it.. It was amazing.