Meyer's fanfic writer thinks copyright laws don't apply to HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Oh, the things you find when you don't have a pooper scooper...

ARussetNooner.jpg

Reaction score
Has anyone told smeyer what's happening here yet?

I mean, with Russet Noon and this site? :D

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
scarletpeaches said: Has anyone told smeyer what's happening here yet?

I'm sure she or someone in her bunch is aware of it. :welcome:

That's the main reason that slamming Lady Silly Potatohead and discussion of copyright law is preferable on this thread.

There are other threads in the forum for fans and non-fans to duke it out, so Ms. Meyer can skip those. I know I would if one of my series was in this kind of situation. I'd find the wankage very hurtful.

Sure she's got the $$ and clout and movies, but she is a writer just like the rest of us, and cares about her work. No one is that thick-skinned as to totally ignore or not feel badly about negative postings.

Okay, clearly Ms. Potatohead is, but SHE apparently lives on another planet altogether. Maybe she was abducted by the Grays. Or the Russets. Whatever.

Maybe that's why she thinks respecting copyright doesn't apply to her. :D

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure she or someone in her bunch is aware of it. :welcome:

That's the main reason that slamming Lady Silly Potatohead and discussion of copyright law is preferable on this thread.

There are other threads in the forum for fans and non-fans to duke it out, so Ms. Meyer can skip those. I know I would if one of my series was in this kind of situation. I'd find the wankage very hurtful.

Sure she's got the $$ and clout and movies, but she is a writer just like the rest of us, and cares about her work. No one is that thick-skinned as to totally ignore or not feel badly about negative postings.

Okay, clearly Ms. Potatohead is, but SHE apparently lives on another planet altogether. Maybe she was abducted by the Grays. Or the Russets. Whatever.

Cue the B-52's...You're livin' in your own private Idaho.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Those authors who may not have a problem with fanfic of their works, or just not care either way, purposefully don't go looking for it because they must report it to their publisher. Otherwise if the publisher finds out another way they can sue the author. I believe reporting copyright violation is a standard in contracts or something, so authors are legally obligated to report it when they see it.
Oooh boy, that'll put a crimp in my pixel doll hobby. There's fanart everywhere! It's gonna be real awkward if I go to my favorite doll sites and see my characters on display. :(

Deleted member 42

You know, I can't find the sample from Ms. Potatohead's magnum oops, but here's the thing; I've watched people in several situations read the first three pages of Twilight, and then buy the book.

There's a thing that a story teller does that I honestly don't believe can be taught, though it can be polished; that is the ability to inspire narrative lust in the reader. It's that thing that makes people want to, even need to, turn the page and find out what happens next.

Meyer gets that, and does it in spades.

Ms. Potatohead? It's just not there, even though Meyer has already done the hard work for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
What Medievalist said. I have nothing but respect for Ms. Meyer, who has managed to catch and hold the attention, imagination, and interest of so very many fans of all different ages and backgrounds. So even though we're making gentle fun of the entire marketing phenomenon, and jeering at people who would cash in on that phenomenon for their own profit, absolutely no slight to Stephenie Meyer is intended, whatsoever.

I know it's a popular thing to slight that accomplishment, and write it all off to luck and slick marketing -- but quite frankly, I strongly believe that she's a writer who hooked into of one of those shared-truth places in the psyche of her fans, then held on to it with both hands. That's not simple luck, and it's not just slick marketing.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I can't find the sample form Ms. Potatohead's magnum oops, but here's the thing; I've watched people in several situations read the first three pages of Twilight, and then buy the book.

Had I read the first three pages in the store, I never would have bought the book. Everyone's different in what hooks their attention. (Of course I didn't even know it was supposed be a vampire novel until I saw a trailer for the movie, and going by the trailer, there should have been ten times more action in it than was actually there.)

Reaction score
...I strongly believe that she's a writer who hooked into of one of those shared-truth places in the psyche of her fans, then held on to it with both hands. That's not simple luck, and it's not just slick marketing.

I'd really, really love to know what this shared truth is because I see nothing in Bella that reminds me of me as a teen.

I was a minger and no, not the sort of minger who has five boys ask her out in her first week at a new school. Not the sort of teen who said "Ew," when ugly people spoke to her. Not the sort of teen who longed for a stalker to watch her sleep.

That, to me, was never intense and romantic. It was creepy. And I don't know anyone in my social circle who felt that way as a teenager.

Maybe we just had more self-esteem and were less selfish than Bella Swan, I don't know. But I find her personality (or what passes for same) as utterly repellent.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd really, really love to know what this shared truth is because I see nothing in Bella that reminds me of me as a teen.

I was a minger and no, not the sort of minger who has five boys ask her out in her first week at a new school. Not the sort of teen who said "Ew," when ugly people spoke to her. Not the sort of teen who longed for a stalker to watch her sleep.

That, to me, was never intense and romantic. It was creepy. And I don't know anyone in my social circle who felt that way as a teenager.

Maybe we just had more self-esteem and were less selfish than Bella Swan, I don't know. But I find her personality (or what passes for same) as utterly repellent.

My sister loves them, and I get the feeling it's the classic perfect-man-that-protects-me thing, except the perfect man is immortal and extremely strong.

Deleted member 42

I do think there's a generation gap, of sorts, but clearly, the novels are very much beloved by many.

What's interesting to me is how many young male readers are exceedingly fond of the latter novels, more so than the first. I just spent ten minutes trying to Google up the article that talked about their popularity in terms of an age/sex breakdown; no luck.

And I also spent some time looking at the Twilight inspired fan fic.

Ms. Potatohead isn't even in the top shelf there.

Jay042

Registered
Reaction score
In case anyone hasn't taken a look at the russet noon site lately, it's been pulled.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Hopefully it's bye-bye to that tick on the backside of vamp fandom, Lady Silly Potatohead.

I hope she gets back on her meds and into a protection program before PO'd fans find her home addy and come calling with torches and pitchforks.

Not gonna trust that, though. She been pretty danged oblivious to the obvious. She might have taken it down herself, hoping the fuss will go away and plans to spring back later with her "tribute."

Ms. Potatohead, please, go back to hunting Bigfoot, ghosts, and UFOs. It's a much much SAFER hobby. There's more fresh air and exercise involved, too. You don't have to worry about angry lawyers, fans, and copyright holders, oh, my!

And best of all, you won't find nearly as many people making fun of you for it.

Just a question--has the AVPhaunts site got the copyright holder's permission to use that background music? Juuuust wondering, 'cause, hey, you don't have a good record for paying attention to that kind of thing, yanno.

Or is it okay to use because the composer didn't draw a picture of it?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you have a fan, Gillhoughly... Or should I say "JaneyD"?!?!

Admit it!

:D

Deleted member 42

Just a question--has the AVPhaunts site got the copyright holder's permission to use that background music? Juuuust wondering, 'cause, hey, you don't have a good record for paying attention to that kind of thing, yanno.

Or is it okay to use because the composer didn't draw a picture of it?

People who put autoloading music on Web sites have a special slot reserved for them in hell.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
My sister loves them, and I get the feeling it's the classic perfect-man-that-protects-me thing, except the perfect man is immortal and extremely strong.

That's what I think it comes down to. I think it's not so much that girls love Edward, but what he represents. And really, any guy can fill that slot. I'm sure it's more infatuation than really loving the character. Once the infatuation fades, I think many will just move on to the next one. I can see the concept, but I've seen it done better elsewhere.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
If I was famous enough of an author that I had fan fic writers writing about my characters I would love it as long as they were not making money off of it. Hell, I might even offer to publish it as a join project if it was good enough :p

Publishers and agents often advise writers to never read fan fiction of their own characters, and to ignore that part of the fan fiction world entirely. The reason is because, even though virtually all fan fiction is a copyright violation (excepting legitimate parodies and the few fandoms where the original work is public domain), you still do not own the copyright to derivative works that plagiarize your own writing. (For example, Harry Potter fan fiction violates J.K. Rowling's copyright, however, even though the fan fiction writer could not publish that fiction without J.K. Rowling's permission, it is also true that J.K. Rowling could not grab off the Internet and publish some piece of Harry Potter fan fiction without the fanfic writer's permission).

Thus, if you inadvertently picked up someone else's original ideas from fan fiction written about your characters and such ideas ended up in your own future writing, you could become involved in a tangled legal mess. If you never read that fan fiction, then the whole situation can be avoided.

So that's why everyone keeps saying 'sparkly Edward'. I was thinking 'sparkly' must be the latest teen slang for 'sexy' or something.

BTW, how can something/one be called a 'vampire' if they don't suck human blood? Actually, I don't care. I really really don't.

Edward is just the latest creation in a long literary tradition of "good guy" vampires who desire to drink human blood but can get by on substitutes such as animal blood. The idea isn't at all new.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
After reading this entire thread, I had to ask "why?" Why would this silly woman think she can publish a copyright violation?

Now I am paranoid, and crazy for a conspiracy theory, but I think I figured it out.

Lady McDufus writes this fan fic and says she is going to publish it, knowing that she will be shut down by Meyers, et all.

She generates publicity from the Twilight fandom, and even those who hate her, still wish there was another book to read.

Fans clamor for Meyers to write this book.

Meyers must now pay Lady McDufus because even though Meyers owns the characters, etc, McDufus wrote what the fans want.

Maybe?

And as to Meyers writing ability, I think she is great. My 17 year old read the entire series. This is a kid who has a reading disability so severe that she qualifies for free audio books for school assignments, and chooses books by how thin they are. But she loved the Twilight books and slogged through them. Anyone who can inspire my kid to read, is IMHO a great writer.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After reading this entire thread, I had to ask "why?" Why would this silly woman think she can publish a copyright violation?

Now I am paranoid, and crazy for a conspiracy theory, but I think I figured it out.

Lady McDufus writes this fan fic and says she is going to publish it, knowing that she will be shut down by Meyers, et all.

She generates publicity from the Twilight fandom, and even those who hate her, still wish there was another book to read.

Meyers must now pay Lady McDufus because even though Meyers owns the characters, etc, McDufus wrote what the fans want.

Maybe?

Why would Meyer have to pay Lady McDufus anything? That makes absolutely no sense at all. None.

The only time the published author has ever had to pay the person who ripped them off is when it's established that the published author used that other person's material in something they themselves are publishing professionally.

Since Meyer is not writing more Twilight stuff, that's not going to happen.

If anyone owes anyone, it's McDufus owing Meyer--and possibly more than just an apology.

Sorry, I don't think your theory holds water.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Why would she have to pay anyone?

Fans want Meyer to finish Midnight Sun (and from what I've read of it, it's the best of the bunch.) Even if Meyer went ahead with a "Russet Noon" style story of Jacob/Nessie after the fact, she wouldn't have to pay for it.

Ideas aren't eligible for copyright. So long as she didn't read through the fic-novel, Ms. Meyer can write her own book based on them. There is absolutely no way for anyone to prove that she didn't already have a J/N story in the works for after Midnight Sun.

Honestly, I think it would serve her right if Ms. Meyer did write just such a book. It's her playground, she has a right to put up a fence around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.