War of All Forum Wars Starts Here----> BBQ

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I like Mesquite more for grilling than smoking. I like the flavor Mesquite gives chicken and beef when it chars on the grill.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Some experts recommend smearing the piece of meat with prepared mustard before applying a rub and letting it rest.

Thoughts?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
the bbq song

eta: i'm not 100% sure but i think that's rt on harmonica

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting to catch up on the BBQ war thread. I'll just stand off to the side and watch sauce mops be thrown. I belong to the 'smoking my meat is fine, but don't put any of that gloppy sauce stuff on it' club. There is a great little restaurant in Jerome AZ (people come an hour and a half over the mountain to get the ribs) that is noted for their ribs. I love them cause I can get them without sauce. MMMM

MM

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is scary when it comes to grilling anything. I fix our Boston Butts in the oven or slow cooker, depending on what I want to do with them. I've had several rub recipes, which I can't find now, of course, and I usually rub the whole Butt down with salt, pepper, garlic powder, curry posder, minced garlic, and some other stuff I don't recall like sage, thyme, rosemary. Then I pour a little orange juice over the butt, fat side up. Cover the whole thing and put it in a 325 oven and roast all day, or overnight, depending on size. When it's done, I slice it and we can have barbeque sauce with it (regular or Korean). I skim the fat off, then cook rice in the cooking juice. Mmmmm.

pjlove51

Precious Momma
Registered
Reaction score
Baking rubs

I like to bake my ribs in the oven real slow for 2hours then slather them with bbq sauce. They fall off the bone. I prefer charcoal, but I inherited a gas grill.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
And how 'bout you, SP? I'm still looking for my favorites. :)
I have learned that my uncle now uses pre-mixed rub, not any recipe from my childhood. I have not found a recipe for the sauce (from late grandfather), either at my parents' or my uncle's house. It may be that it was never written down.

So, drawing from memory, I can verify that it contained the brisket drippings (drained from the foil and/or pan), Worcestershire sauce, a tomato paste (possibly ketchup), and Trappey's vinegar (the stuff with little tabasco chiles in it). Then salt and garlic, but beyond that, I have to speculate.

Last edited:

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Is it just me or does this thread make you want to go get reacquainted with the fridge? See how she's been doin' in your absence.

BBQ is one of man's most thoughtful inventions. I go now to eat junk that will in no way be near as satisfying as anything posted in this thread but will have to do, for now.

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
Is it just me or does this thread make you want to go get reacquainted with the fridge? See how she's been doin' in your absence.

BBQ is one of man's most thoughtful inventions. I go now to eat junk that will in no way be near as satisfying as anything posted in this thread but will have to do, for now.

QFT. There's left-over roast in my fridge, but this is where I plan to get lunch today:

http://www.theshedbbq.com/gulfport/

Um... is it lunch time yet?

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:cry:

Never had authentic Southern/Texas/Mississippi/Louisiana/Anything else like that BBQ.

WANT SOME!

The closest we come to it up here is Tony Roma's ribs, or Stampede sauce. I'm sure I'm missing something great. And they don't serve beans with it, just French fries, mostly.

I'm hungry.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed on this thread: authentic BBQ seems to insist on the meat being smoked first. Can it taste authentic without?

I'd like to try some of the recipes here, but have no smoker. (Cigarettes probably wouldn't do the trick.) Would a touch of liquid hickory smoke work?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
One thing I have noticed on this thread: authentic BBQ seems to insist on the meat being smoked first. Can it taste authentic without?

I'd like to try some of the recipes here, but have no smoker. (Cigarettes probably wouldn't do the trick.) Would a touch of liquid hickory smoke work?

Liquid smoke works in a pinch.

Another option is this:

take some wood chips, put them in a oven-safe bowl filled with water, and put the bowl on your grill while you're grilling. Keep the lid of your grill closed during the cooking.

But you don't always need smoked meats. It just helps add to the richness of the meat's flavor.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I've had one for a few years. It's awesome! I've smoked everything from chicken to pork tenderloin to bologna to hamburger patties. I was afraid at first it would set off the smoke alarm in the kitchen, but it doesn't. It's a pretty tight unit... you can see tiny wisps of smoke, but that's it.

Easy clean up, too. Wait for the ash to cool and dump it in the trash - I put a sheet of foil under and above it - not sealed around the edges - and then just wad it up when it's done. Everything else goes right in the dishwasher.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Here is my super-secret southern baked beans recipe that we usd to serve in my family's restaurant when I was growing up. The recipe makes a little over 5 gals of beans. Divide by whatever number to get the amount you want to make.

5 #10 cans Great Northern beans (Each #10 can is approx. 1 gal.)

2 1/2 lbs bacon, chopped into very small pieces. (substitue leftover smoked pulled pork if avail)

2 large yellow onions, chopped very fine

1 lb white sugar

1lb dark brown sugar

1lb light brown sugar

4 oz molasses.

2 tablespoons salt (To taste if more is desired. Depends on how much salt is in the canned beans)

2 tablespoon black pepper (To taste if more is desired)

2 teaspoons Wright's liquid smoke. (If not using smoked pulled pork)

Combine ingredients thouroughly. Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours in oven 225 - 250 degrees. May want to boil over in oven. Use spill pan to catch drips.

Richard

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, we just had BBQ pork sandwhichs last night. And I sliced up some home-fries and fried them in bacon drippings in the frying pan with garlic and seasonings--I hoped to have the leftovers for lunch today, but it was all gone :(

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
NC.

No doubt about it.

Not many people know about the north-central stuff, most notably from a little town of Ruffin. I wasn't a huge fan of pulled pork until my mom had a BBQ cook-off deal for her wedding reception. Um, that was her in-law's idea.

Anyway, these folk slow smoke the pork overnight, then pull and chop the meat fine. I swear it just melts in your mouth. My husband, a Buffalo,NY native, just fell in love with the sauce that is poured over the meat after it is piled on top of a fresh bun.

The best sauce I've had for the pourin' is from Short Sugar's, a BBQ joint in Reidsville NC and with a branch in Danville,VA. Working on re-creating it.

BardSkye- an easy re-creation for anyone who wants to try something similar is to take a pork roast that's left over asnd chop/tear/pull the meat fine. Pop it in a saucepan with a BBQ Sauce with brown sugar in it, then add in about 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Use just enough sauce to moisten everything, should look a little like Sloppy Joes.

Mound on top of hamburger buns, I prefer homemade.

It ain't perfect, but it's good to use up leftovers! When I make sauce again, I'll try to remember to post the ingredients.