• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Diggory Press / Exposure Publishing

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Pete's sake, I'd like to SEE an "effective advertising campaign" for a small press or POD book either one. It's been years since this business model came to be, and yet nobody can tell s.p. and self-published authors what techniques actually translate to much bigger sales and which are a waste of money. If any author or publisher wants to weigh in on this, I'm sure listening.

I won't read the "he-said/she-said" posts, though. Life's too short.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Pete's sake, I'd like to SEE an "effective advertising campaign" for a small press or POD book either one. It's been years since this business model came to be, and yet nobody can tell s.p. and self-published authors what techniques actually translate to much bigger sales and which are a waste of money.

No one really knows the answer to this, no matter what kind of book you're talking about. The problem is, each book is an individual product, and what works for one may not work for another. Publishers do try to customize their campaigns (where they conduct them)--but if campaigns are successful, it's usually as a result of a variety of strategies, and it's impossible to know which one, or ones, were the crucial ones, or to quantify them in terms of sales.

- Victoria

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Yeah, VS, what you said. You hear of viral marketing where an unknown book suddenly takes off into the stratosphere and an equally worthy title simply languishes.

The quandary is, that presses small and large increasingly ask for "marketing plans" to accompany project submissions. I give them the usual: web site, author appearances, signings, reviews, blog tours, etc. I almost hate to propose anything innovative for fear one or more of their authors have tried this technique before and it proved to be a fiasco. I feel each time as though I walk in blindfolded.

I realize this is somewhat OT, but maybe there should be a separate thread for "what works in small press/POD promo".

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
maybe there should be a separate thread for "what works in small press/POD promo".
If there is a thread for this, I'd be happy to weigh in, Deb, as we are a small commercial press who has enjoyed some nice success with our books, and I'd be happy to share our ideas with you. Just someone let me know where the thread is.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Momento, You asked me if reports had been made to the police or the courts about the false claims entered by Stephen Manning. The answer is yes to both. It's a matter of court record. There's a police investigation continuing as we speak about Stephen Manning's attempts to pervert the course of justice and contempt of court etc.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

<reaching for puke bucket>

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Diggory Press - A Vanity House of Ill Repute.

Do I hear the dulcet tones of a mechanical piano? Will there be gunfighting in the streets?

Jokes aside though; it should be abundantly clear by now that Diggory Press is a bad choice for any writer.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Just as a heads-up for sleuthfortruth, Inquisitor, any other names or sockpuppets of any of the above: I gave skiman a one-month time-out just for posting. Not necessarily for anything he said, just for posting.

If you post, you'll get the same. I am so tired of all of you that words nearly fail me. You're welcome, for now, to post anywhere else on any other subject, but one word in this thread, or a post in any other thread about Diggory and/or the ongoing soap opera gets you banned.

If I feel really annoyed I'll go back and retroactively delete everything you've ever posted.

Since the lot of you are Brits you may not be aware of the classic American sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" by Jonathan Edwards. Go, read it. Then consider that, as far as this forum is concerned, you are sinners and I am God.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a flounce. Are we starting a pool of how long until Inquisitor comes back, or do we think this is a permanent flounce?

Eirin

Registered
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever seen a permanent flounce. Except when the flouncee gets a bit of help, of course.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Eirin...your screenname is too eerily similar to mine! I saw your name and thought I'd posted on the wrong thread. Then I realized it wasn't me...;)

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
It could only have ended this way, but I feel faintly melancholy. Who shall entertain me now?

I shall have stop putting off doing any writing, I fear.

Eirin

Registered
Reaction score
Eirin...your screenname is too eerily similar to mine! I saw your name and thought I'd posted on the wrong thread. Then I realized it wasn't me...;)

We'll have to take care always to sport distinguishing avatars. I'll be the one looking at people with my nose.