• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tate Publishing

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
You may find it useful to learn what "slander" is, and how it differs from both "libel" and "things I don't like hearing."

Yeah, and it is neither slander nor libel if it's true. :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Calmly, everyone.

Haray isn't someone that anyone needs to be protected from.

I fear he's in a bad position right now. I wish him the best. I hope he'll keep us posted on his adventures with Tate.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I know my comments were what started the pile-on. For that I apologize. I stand by my first posts indicating what I learned about Haray's previous forays into internet communities. It was information the sages and valued members of our board needed to know so they could determine the best use of their time. Otherwise, Jim is correct. Let's allow this thread to drift downward in the forums or else I can move the appropriate posts to TIO and give myself a time-out for stirring up the ruckus.

Victoria, I offer my personal apologies to you for starting the conversation in the direction it has taken in your forum. I know you work very hard to keep things in B&BC on topic.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
I think the dogpile is partially due to the behavior pattern he appeared to exhibit: "Look, this publisher isn't so bad. What, you don't agree with me? Well, screw you, you don't know anything! I will now speak condescendingly to you about how you have to spend money to make money!" (Example greatly exaggerated for rhetorical purposes.) It's a pattern that's shown up countless times in the Bewares Board, to the point that it's automatically cause for suspicion.

That said, Haray's no Fransesca. Thank goodness. ;)

Haray72

Registered
Reaction score
Well...

I was searching for a Christian Publisher as I thought it would be the best to seek out specialization versus a larger entity. Initially I was uncertain about the the price, but as I said, they seemed genuine enough to me. After dodging bullets from Janet Kay and Publish America, the difference was apparent. You have to remember, I'm new to the whole industry and was feeling good about my choice.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Janet Kay and PublishAmerica are real bottom-feeders. You did well by avoiding them.

Did Tate come up on a Google search, or did you find 'em in some other reference source? I know that they advertise all over the Web in Google Ads.

Haray72

Registered
Reaction score
Yep

Yes, I believe it was a Google search, but I can't be sure. It could have been a Netscape search...

Deleted member 42

Haray, Odd as it might seem, the web is not the way to find yourself a publisher. The Macdonald and others may have better solutions, or refer you to Writer's Market. In a case like yours in particular, where you have publishers who only publish Christian books, I'd go to your local Christian bookstore, if you have one, and see who publishes books like yours. Contact those publishers. Then do the same at a "regular bookstore," and look for overlap. You already know:

1. They publish Christian books.

2. They get them in bookstores--Christian and mainstream

3. You can see the actual quality of the books they publish.

Last edited by a moderator:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As a general rule, every publisher whose books you find in bookstores pays you.

Yes, there are exceptions (it's hard to say "every time" and "all" or "never" and "none" about anything in this world) but that's how the smart money bets.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Haray...I don't know if it's too late or not, but Sally Stuart puts out huge volume every year called the Christian Writers Market Guide. It's full of agents, publishers, magazines, et. al., with notes telling you who publishes what, their guidelines, pay, etc. As always, it's caveat emptor, but her book is a great place to start. All the CBA stores carry it, it comes out (updated) the first of every year. Hope this helps, and as I said, I hope it's not too late. Four grand is a lot of cabbage.

John

Haray72

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

Good stuff. I will certainly remember this advice.

Thanks to everyone for your insight and information. It is greatly appreciated.

Genuinely,
Haray S.

Peaseblossom

Tate Publishing: Legitimate or Charlatan Hoax?

Dear Friends,
1. :hi: THE PEASE HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

2. Stupid introduction aside, do any of you kool kats know anything about Tate Publishing Co., i.e. DO THEY CHEAT WRITERS?! Actually, if you know anything about their general reputation, it would be awesome if you passed it along.

3. What's happenin' in here?

4. Holla back @ yo' girl!

Love, peace, chicken grease.
Peaseblossom

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com

Haray72

Registered
Reaction score
Update on progress

Hello all!

I just wanted to make a quick post to let you know the latest with Tate. My book ISBN# 1933290129 (I wasn't sure if this was the proper place to post advertising) was released Nov. 8 and it is doing well. It appears that most of the online sites have sold out of their initial stock orders for the moment--I hope that is a good thing. Anyway, feel free to check it out at any major online bookstore. Also, I was successful in placing the book in several bookstores with no problems because Tate offers the standard 40% discount plus returnability. That's it for now, hopefully things will continue in a positive direction!

Regards,
Haray

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
There was an article in the LA Times today about a police officer who wrote a Christian-themed mystery for teenagers. The article makes clear that the author paid to publish through Tate, and indicates that it is unlikely to be a money-making proposition:
Fulcher paid Tate $3,900 to publish and market the book. He receives royalties on sales, and if the book sells 5,000 copies in a year — an unlikely prospect for a beginning novelist — Tate will reimburse him the $3,900.
Is it really the case that a beginning novelist would not be expected to sell 5,000 copies if he were commercially published, rather than vanity published?

Link to article (requires free registration)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Beginning novelists with no support from their publisher cannot rationally be expected to sell 5,000 the first year (especially if they have to buy the books themselves to resell). Thus Tate keeps their money.

Keep in mind that being commercially pubbed includes a whole lotta marketing and distribution that vanities like Tate don't have. Even if a commercial pub's marketing effort was no more than "buy a box of King and get some J. Doe free" deal to bookstores, there are enough booksellers that odds are good 1,000's of browsers would pick up J. Doe's book, and a percentage would actually buy it (presuming the pub did their job to provide an attractive cover, interesting blurb, yada, yada, yada). And, since a commercial pub does a LOT more than that, odds are better that a debut novel will sell more than 5,000, especially if/when the first folks to buy it recommend it to others.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A lot depends on the publisher.

A small press might print up 5,000 in the expectation of selling 3,000. Another press might print up 7,000 in the expectation of selling 5,000. Or more. Or less.

One of the majors will pitch the book to all 8,000 bookstores in America, and expect about half to take it. Those that take it might order five, in the expectation of selling three. So ... 12,000 isn't out of the realm of belief either.

5,000 is an entirely reasonable number for any first-timer to think about. Nothing outlandish there at all.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
CaoPaux said:
And, since a commercial pub does a LOT more than that, odds are better that a debut novel will sell more than 5,000, especially if/when the first folks to buy it recommend it to others.
James D. Macdonald said:
5,000 is an entirely reasonable number for any first-timer to think about. Nothing outlandish there at all.
Thanks for the clarification. That's essentially what I had gathered from other threads here at AW. It's too bad the Times didn't make a distinction between vanity and commercial publication.

Selena_Fai

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience good or bad with this publisher?

Thanks.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Selena, Tate Publishing is a vanity publisher. That means that you, the author, pay to have your book published by them. They specialize in Christian books, I believe.

Vanity publishing is not the "norm" in today's world. When you see books in your local bookstore, they were published by commercial publishing houses, not vanity publishers like Tate. The publisher paid the author to publish the book, not the other way around.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Selena_Fai

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

I knew it was too good to be true when they called me at home...:)

I'm almost too afraid to submit to anyone because it seems anytime I see someone likely to take on a 1st timer, they are a vanity press, or worse, Publish America. (Glad I at least was able to dodge that bullet.)

I guess I will bite the bullet myself and finish the book first and then start submitting. I just don't want to pay for this myself....

Thanks for listening. :)

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Selena_Fai said:
I'm almost too afraid to submit to anyone because it seems anytime I see someone likely to take on a 1st timer, they are a vanity press, or worse, Publish America. (Glad I at least was able to dodge that bullet.)
Selena, skip the ones that advertise that they're "looking for first-time authors." Reputable publishers don't care if you're a first-timer as long as your book is good. Scammers, on the other hand, talk a lot about "giving new authors a chance" and the like. As long as your book is good, you have as good a chance as anyone else, first-timer or not.

Good luck!