badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Alright, I confess...

News:
They haven't chosen the launch title, yet.

Bean counters slow the things down, but everyone up there is pushing hard for our sakes because they don't like to keep us all waiting like this, anymore than we like waiting.

Next time you meet a lawyer, steal his cookies and tell him it's because of the lawyers at WoTC taking too long.

Oh, and if you didn't already figure it out from my prior postings... Yeah, they're picking up my book. No, mine will NOT be the launch title -- mine's too "challenging".
pimp.gif
EmoteTrophy.gif
I write Art, not entertainment... even though it is pretty entertaining.

I've been quiet about this info because I wanted to make sure this really was actually going to happen, and make sure they really were going to do it.

I will not comment on anything contract-related. Don't even ask me about money. That's why I go get an agent. I don't even know this stuff. I don't anything about it.

Negotiations haven't commenced, yet, anyway, so why worry about such things? I've got more books to write.

If your submission has not been rejected, you still stand a chance of getting in the door. They're still reading them, guys, and taking them seriously. So just chill!

We're all stressed! But be the Fonz! What is the Fonz? He's cool.

And if you have anymore questions know this: you know what I know, and all I know. So, don't askme about stuff I don't know.

Peace and love,

badducky

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
BADDUCKY!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

:TheWave: :PartySmil :Cheer:

That is SO COOL.

Any word on when your book will hit the shelves?

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Badducky! Way to go!

I've heard nothing, but...

I had a dream. In my dream, I got a big thick letter from WotC. Before I even opened it, I thought, Hooray! I'm in, and this is the contract! Then, I opened the envelope. I had failed to notice the "number" on the front of it, and it was a rejection letter with pages and pages from them telling me why it wasn't good enough.

I don't know about dream interpretations, but isn't the opposite of what happens in your dream supposed to be what's coming? I hope so. I've got my fingers crossed still, but I'm a little preoccupied with those pages and pages of bad stuff about my submission...ack!

Again, congratulations, Badducky!

Pencilone

Muse Lover
Registered
Reaction score
Yey, Badducky!

I'm very happy for you and I wish you many books to come.
MAN, this is SO awesome!:banana:

Keep on posting guys! And keep the good news coming!
Pencilone

Last edited:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
badducky said:
If your submission has not been rejected, you still stand a chance of getting in the door. They're still reading them, guys, and taking them seriously.
I think I'm going to send Peter a holiday card... :)

In all seriousness, though: a year or less for a response is really nothing. I've heard that Tor's slush pile (and let's face it: that's what this contest is, a very targeted slush pile) can take upwards of 2 years for a response. So for those who have already gotten notice, positive or negative, you're doing well. For the rest of us waiting...well, at least the company is nice. :hi:

Myrddin

Crawling toward the light
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saetter.com
That's awesome, Badducky! Congrats!

Do keep us informed of when it's coming out, your tour dates, etc. ;)

Pencilone

Muse Lover
Registered
Reaction score
No news here, but the postman has not arrived yet. I just felt the need to post.

It's snowing and it's cold here in Scotland. I wish I were in Hawaii. No, scratch that! I wish I get a request for the full ms. Does anyone know any genie who could fulfil my wish?:popcorn:

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
Cold here, but no snow. The cold is playing havoc with my back, and I have to teach two Taekwondo classes tonight. Anyone want to do it for me?

In other news: no news.

Gogonith

Registered
Reaction score
Can't help with the Taekwondo. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, but no one said where a good swift kick fits in there.

I'll be thinking of your bad back as I sit in a friend's hot tub tonight <evil laughter>.

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
Gogonith said:
Can't help with the Taekwondo. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, but no one said where a good swift kick fits in there.

I think it's hard to use a swift kick as a writing implement.

Gogonith said:
I'll be thinking of your bad back as I sit in a friend's hot tub tonight <evil laughter>.

You're too kind. :)

Pencilone

Muse Lover
Registered
Reaction score
Holly Maloney! :Jaw:

No wonder we don't get anything from WOTC since Peter Archer is no longer there!!!! See article.

I wonder what it's going to happen next, and how this is going to affect the new imprint.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I just heard this too. I'm going to call the Wizards office later today (when they're open) and see if I can find anyone willing to talk to me about the status of the Open Call.

On a side note: I have the greatest respect for Peter Archer, and I hope that he will move on to a better situation.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I left a voicemail message for Susan Morris, who oversees submissions, and I sent her email as well. I'll post when I hear back...

:popcorn:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
WVWriterGirl said:
Wonderful. Joy. Anyone hear anything directly from the source, WotC? Argh.
It's official, WVWG. Margaret Weis confirmed it. Peter's no longer with Wizards.

Myrddin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saetter.com
Ed Bolme (Eberron author) also confirmed it on worldsofdnd.com/forum in the Author's Corner:

"He was let go along with about a dozen people in total.

To the best of my knowledge, Mary Kirchoff, head of all books (i.e., D&D and novels) remains in place; Charles Ryan (D&D brand manager) is likewise gone.

Charles does not surprise me as much, as the position was created fairly recently, IIRC.

Peter's dismissal was a shock to me. According to him: "Phil Athans will be assuming the leadership of the editorial direction of the program, while Mary Elizabeth Allen will be handling the business side."

So it kind of sounds like they may have eliminated a tier of management? I.e., it used to be Charles and Peter reporting to Mary, and now it's Phil and Mary Elizabeth and [insert D&D names here]?

Regardless, I feel the loss."

{Edited link}

Last edited:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Interesting. When I called the Wizards office, they connected me to Susan Morris, whom the operator said was overseeing the submissions.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Wait... who did they fire?

<<reads names and creds>>

Wow. I bet those folks could form some kind of super-league of DND-esque gaming.

Everytime I read something like this, it reminds me of why being your own boss rules.

Heck, I fired myself like six times this morning. But, for some reason, I can't seem to get rid of me.

One of these days I'll be able to find a replacement. I'll pay him half my salary and give him all the work.

Myrddin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saetter.com
badducky said:
Heck, I fired myself like six times this morning. But, for some reason, I can't seem to get rid of me.
:ROFL: That reminds me of that cereal commercial where the guy can't hear he's being fired because of the crunch in his ears. "I like a man who doesn't take No for an answer. Be more like Johnson."

Last edited:

Myrddin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saetter.com
No response from WotC, DJ?

Somehow, I'm not surprised. Corporations are good at sacking people before their holiday parties, but not so good at responding to concerns raised by these actions.

/shrug

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
UPDATE

Here's the latest, from Susan Morris:

The 2004 Open Call should be finished by the end of the year. Barring
another large-scale disturbance, I plan to send all remaining responses
out, either by phone or rejection slip, on the 23rd of December.

We have not yet decided on a launch title, but we have several up for
consideration. It will probably take us some time after we are finished
responding to all of the submissions before we decide on a launch book.

There you go, folks: an official deadline. Good luck to all still waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.