Repeatedly calling someone by name or using "he/she"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
The guy/girl... it sounds a little impersonal. Like what we should call the character until we learn their name. When we do, I think it's a little odd to fall back to girl/guy. I also agree with Maxinquaye, he/she are basically invisible words when you are reading while using the girl/guy could distract the reader.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is pretty much the only female in the book so far, and it seems like I would just constantly be using "she", paragraph after paragraph.
I think using she and her a lot is okay, but be sure to use the actual name every once in a while - if not in every paragraph, maybe once a page or so. If there's dialogue, have another character address her by name (in a natural place and way, of course). Some readers (ahem) aren't good at rememering names and I they are liable to forget your MC's name without an occasional reminder.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
If you are writing Omniscient Narrator, you can use any character's name up until the point 'Herbert' or 'Jeremy' starts to go 'ching!' for the reader.

But -- if you are writing in Deep Character POV, you do not want to use the name of your viewpoint character more than is absolutely necessary. In Deep POV, you use the character's name once at the beginning of the scene to identify who the POV character is. Then you don't use Marvin or Floribelle again if you can possibly avoid it.

What it is . . .
if you're doing the Deep Pov right, the reader is riding in the POV character's head, being the POV character. Nobody thinks of himself as Maurice or Floyd inside his own head. When you use a proper name, it drags the reader out of the character's head.

I don't have to tell you that nobody thinks of himself as 'the thin, dark fellow' or 'the young girl'.

When you are in Third Person, Close POV, it's 'he' or 'she' straight through. Fortunately, if you take the reader in close to experience the character's adventure rather than describing it the reader, you'll find this removes much of the need to use 'he'.

So. Not so much,
He walked down the hard, hot runway.
But
The runway was hard and hot under his thin shoes.

Not
He figured it was going to rain.
But
It was going to rain.

Not
He only one chance to kill the zombie. He had to get in close. He grabbed the knife and moved in.
But
The knife slipped in his hand, sticky with his blood. The flat, dead, cold eyes of the zombie met his. Foul breath whuffled across his face.

Last edited:

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Very informative thread. I was wondering this myself, so I'm glad I read so far.

Job your post is nice and got a point across to me, thanks.

ChainsawLicker

Oh snap, it's onomatopoeia!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, I'm glad I asked. Plenty more options than just referring to someone by a title.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
However, if the character has met a total stranger- a woman- in a cafe, even if she gives her name, you wouldn't necessarily think of her as 'Betty', even if that's her name. Using 'the man/woman' implies an unfamiliarity with the person, so you could get away with calling them that for one scene.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For goodness sake. Read how the character is referred to (or not referred to as the case may be) in published novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.