James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
And that brings me to my point, UJ: how do you write an ending that make readers ponder long after they put down the story?

I wouldn't know.

What I aim for is having the readers say, "Wow, I never saw that coming!" without having them say, "You just pulled that out of your ass, didn't you?"

Such simple things keep me busy. If the readers are left pondering, I want them to ponder "Where can I get more?"

Dave Willhoite

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't know.

What I aim for is having the readers say, "Wow, I never saw that coming!" without having them say, "You just pulled that out of your ass, didn't you?"

Such simple things keep me busy. If the readers are left pondering, I want them to ponder "Where can I get more?"

Well, that is a pretty clear "How to".

It might not work for me, but I will give it a shot.

Dave

Michael_T

Physicist posing as a novelist
Registered
Reaction score
how do you write an ending that make readers ponder long after they put down the story?

I recently posted my quick anaysis on this board of the ending of Les Miserables. (I cried for over half an hour) I think there are some thing to be learn from that book.

UJ: I know you've analyzed the beginnings of many books here, but how about an ending?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Beginnings are easy to analyze. Endings are far harder, because you'd have to analyze the entire rest of the book to do it well. Did the ending fulfill the promise made by the beginning? Did it tie up the plot threads? Was it both satisfying and appetizing?

Shall we pick a book, all of us read it, and have a semester-long discussion of the ending? For that is what it would take.

"Openings teach you openings. Endgames teach you chess."

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

half.jaded

Gone insane. Be right back.
Registered
Reaction score
Underground, trying to bomb the headquarters of ev
*shuffles into thread again*

One question. I'm an outliner, and I can't seem to outline anything right now. And I tried to wing it, but I can't. Why can't I outline anything? Is it just my brain procrastinating or is it possible that there's something wrong with the plot?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is it just my brain procrastinating or is it possible that there's something wrong with the plot?

Consider seriously that it's your subconscious saying that the plot doesn't work.

(After that, consider that it's your saboteur-self trying to keep you from writing at all.)

Maybe trying a different form of outline?

How about just doing a fast ten-page present tense description of the story? If you have one of those, I can give you tricks for blowing it up into a full novel.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's as if my brain refuses to tell me what goes on in the middle of the story.

Oh, in that case it's an easy fix.

Just wade in. Think of yourself as trying to make it through a swamp with a machete.

You know where you went in. And you can see, on the horizon, the mountain you're trying to get to. In the middle, there's this swamp. So, you wade through it, swinging your machete, with the mud sucking at your boots.

Yeah, you can get lost. And you will definitely be eaten by mosquitoes. But eventually you'll make your way through that swamp. Don't worry if you only have a vague idea of what's there before you enter.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I try very, very hard to have at least a few chapters ahead of where I'm currently working at least rough-outlined. I've (apparently) made a huge mistake with my one of my latest WIPs as it's just not going anywhere and I've no interest in getting back to it. There's another WIP that I've worked on and off again on that's grabbing all my attention right now (and which I just realized the other day has an extremely weak opening chapter - this one needs lots and lots of work). That one I at least have worked out to many chapters ahead of where I'm at right now in the rewrite. My other one just has a few notes and a couple of maps and such.

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
Shall we pick a book, all of us read it, and have a semester-long discussion of the ending? For that is what it would take.

YES!!!!! I've been wanting to do that since I started reading your UJ thread. No problems here starting, other than life taking my time. I was bummed that I missed the Holiday Challenge, but momentarily. Life grabbed me immediately.

What book do you recommend?

half.jaded

Gone insane. Be right back.
Registered
Reaction score
Underground, trying to bomb the headquarters of ev
I'm reading Logical Chess: Move by Move.

I've finished the first game, but I think I'm not getting the whole connection with writing part. Oo Am I doing something wrong or do I have to finish the whole book to get it?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is different when it comes to how to write. Outline, plot points, or just wing it. I just wing it, and love the high I get from not knowing what will happen next. And, something always comes to mind and the story continues. My ending always seems to change from what I planned in the beginning.
My characters take over the story and I'm just watching like a movie and writing down what I see. Being in the writing zone is awesome when it comes, you can't type fast enough to keep up. I couldn't imagine writing any other way.

I'm sure you'll wade through the middle and the story will continue.

Go get 'um.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Update on the Macmillan v. Amazon affair. This was a release from Macmillan's CEO this afternoon:
To: All Macmillan authors/illustrators and the literary agent community
Editors' note: This message ran as a paid advertisement in a special Saturday edition of Publishers Lunch

To: All Macmillan authors/illustrators and the literary agent community

This past Thursday I met with Amazon in Seattle. I gave them our proposal for new terms of sale for e books under the agency model which will become effective in early March. In addition, I told them they could stay with their old terms of sale, but that this would involve extensive and deep windowing of titles. By the time I arrived back in New York late yesterday afternoon they informed me that they were taking all our books off the Kindle site, and off Amazon. The books will continue to be available on Amazon.com through third parties.

I regret that we have reached this impasse. Amazon has been a valuable customer for a long time, and it is my great hope that they will continue to be in the very near future. They have been a great innovator in our industry, and I suspect they will continue to be for decades to come.

It is those decades that concern me now, as I am sure they concern you. In the ink-on-paper world we sell books to retailers far and wide on a business model that provides a level playing field, and allows all retailers the possibility of selling books profitably. Looking to the future and to a growing digital business, we need to establish the same sort of business model, one that encourages new devices and new stores. One that encourages healthy competition. One that is stable and rational. It also needs to insure that intellectual property can be widely available digitally at a price that is both fair to the consumer and allows those who create it and publish it to be fairly compensated.

Under the agency model, we will sell the digital editions of our books to consumers through our retailers. Our retailers will act as our agents and will take a 30% commission (the standard split today for many digital media businesses). The price will be set the price for each book individually. Our plan is to price the digital edition of most adult trade books in a price range from $14.99 to $5.99. At first release, concurrent with a hardcover, most titles will be priced between $14.99 and $12.99. E books will almost always appear day on date with the physical edition. Pricing will be dynamic over time.

The agency model would allow Amazon to make more money selling our books, not less. We would make less money in our dealings with Amazon under the new model. Our disagreement is not about short-term profitability but rather about the long-term viability and stability of the digital book market.

Amazon and Macmillan both want a healthy and vibrant future for books. We clearly do not agree on how to get there. Meanwhile, the action they chose to take last night clearly defines the importance they attribute to their view. We hold our view equally strongly. I hope you agree with us.

You are a vast and wonderful crew. It is impossible to reach you all in the very limited timeframe we are working under, so I have sent this message in unorthodox form. I hope it reaches you all, and quickly. Monday morning I will fully brief all of our editors, and they will be able to answer your questions. I hope to speak to many of you over the coming days.

Thanks for all the support you have shown in the last few hours; it is much appreciated.

All best,
John
Posted on January 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Uncle Jim wrote, ...I can give you tricks for blowing it up into a full novel.

Oh! Mememe! I'd love to hear about these tricks. Please.

Okay, this is a really stupid trick (but, if something is stupid and it works, it isn't stupid).

Take that ten-page, single-space outline.

You figure that you're going for a 80,000 word novel.

80,000 words is 320 pages in standard manuscript format. You're looking for ten page chapters, so that's 32 chapters.

(Remember, standard manuscript format is Courier New, 12 point, one inch margins all around on 8.5x11 paper. Running head. Single sided. Black on white.)

Now, take that ten page single-space, present tense outline. There are fifty lines per page single spaced. Ten pages is 500 lines. It does not matter to me if you're using 8 point TNR or what the outline is written in.

Thirty-two goes into 500 15.6 times. Starting at the top of your outline, count down fifteen lines. Draw a line across the page with a red pencil between line fifteen and line sixteen. Now count down another sixteen lines. Draw a line across the page. Count down another fifteen lines. Draw a red line across the page. It doesn't matter if the red line divides a sentence in two.

If all goes well, by the bottom of page ten of your ten-pager you will have divided the piece into thirty-two sections.

Each section is the outline for one chapter.

Write each chapter, using only what's between the two red lines.

Each chapter shall be ten pages in standard manuscript format.

If you can't make length, drop back to the middle of the chapter and add paragraphs until you've pushed the last line to the bottom of page ten.

In those cases where you've divided a sentence in two, that's your cliffhanger.

Write a chapter a day. Ten pages, without fail. It's okay to throw any crap on the page that you want. You're going for length. But what happens in that chapter shall only be what was between those two red lines that define the chapter.

In a month you will have an entire novel.

Stick it in your desk drawer. Wait six weeks (during which you write something else) then pull it out, read it, edit it, re-write it, smooth it, and generally do all those things that you'd do with any novel.

"Holy moly!" I can hear you saying. "Does that work?"

"Yes, it does," I assure you. "I've done it. So have others. The Secrets of the Pros revealed."

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're being remarkably calm, all things considered. :e2teeth:

"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference...
And some smiting wouldn't be completely out of order right about now"

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It is not enough that I am merely no longer linking to them. I am actively sending people to their competitors.

Changing all the links is a slow process. But it is a necessary one.

I ask all my friends to do their shopping elsewhere and, should the need to link to a book or movie arise, please link to the title at Barnes&Noble or some other non-Amazon retailer.